Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
BILL WZOREK

Default How do the judges / Add points / Deduct points

I know it depends on judging body but just a thumb nail Idea.
Do the judges have a list (example) Year / model car should have this Generator this carb & so on with a list of part #'s that they are looking for or is this info just in there heads?
Maybe a build sheet is needed for each car ? { just thinking & typing @ same time.}
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: How do the judges / Add points / Deduct points

Bill, the EFV8 Club has judging criteria listed (I think on their web site) which is used as a guide line for judging and the regional and national meets...
Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
G.M.

VIC I don't think politics is mentioned in the manual. G.M.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Old Henry

Here are all of the Early Ford V8 Club's judging forms that will show you what they look for: http://www.earlyfordv8.org/early-ford-forms.cfm
Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
DavidG

Bill,

It is only deductions, never additions. Each car starts out with a perfect score (1,000, 500, 100, etc. depending on the club) and its down hill from there.

In the case of the V-8 Club, one of the reasons for their publishing their technical reference books is to assist (i.e. educate) the judges to ensure fair, thorough, and consistent judging of a particular category or grouping of cars and trucks. Specialization is the norm, so that (at least in theory) leads to consistency. You will rarely encounter someone on the '32 judging team at one meet judging the '46-'48 Mercury group at the next meet.

Is the process perfect? No, of course not, just as human nature isn't uniformly admirable. However, the more structured the judging process is, including preparation by the judges themselves, the greater the odds that it will produce reasonable results. JMO based on a lot of experience on both sides of the process.

Dave
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
VIC I don't think politics is mentioned in the manual. G.M.
You're right George, but that doesn’t mean they don't come into play... However, that's another story. Vic
Old 02-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I like judgeing at the National meets. All the groups I have been with have been more then fair. That a good way to learn about your car.I judge my class several times before I entered my car. This way I had a pretty good idea what they were looking for.I also had a great time doing this. In no way do the judges I have ben with try to cheat anyone. If we deuct any thing we half to write it down on the judging sheets so the owner knows what wrong. That a great way to learn how your car should be. Lots of fun I have found.Now if you enter your car with a engine comp. like this in the Concourse you will have a few points deducted but what deducted will explane in the judgeing sheets so you can correct if you want for the next National meet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Full house 48 Green.jpg (76.5 KB, 26 views)
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Bill,

It is only deductions, never additions. Each car starts out with a perfect score (1,000, 500, 100, etc. depending on the club) and its down hill from there.

In the case of the V-8 Club, one of the reasons for their publishing their technical reference books is to assist (i.e. educate) the judges to ensure fair, thorough, and consistent judging of a particular category or grouping of cars and trucks. Specialization is the norm, so that (at least in theory) leads to consistency. You will rarely encounter someone on the '32 judging team at one meet judging the '46-'48 Mercury group at the next meet.

Is the process perfect? No, of course not, just as human nature isn't uniformly admirable. However, the more structured the judging process is, including preparation by the judges themselves, the greater the odds that it will produce reasonable results. JMO based on a lot of experience on both sides of the process.

Dave
They do not have, and apparenatly do not want a technical reference book on pickups. And that's the truth. lol
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
BILL WZOREK

Redneck,that's not the way Henry built it But I bet he wished he could have. LOL LOL
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
Scott H

I used to judge local Shelby Mustang Club shows. We had a sheet that started at 100 points and then deductions were made for non-stock items, non-function items, condition of different areas, and proper finishes.
It would be the judges discretion how much to deduct from an engine compartment that was painted glossy black when it is supposed to be satin black. But the same judge would look at that feature on all the cars being judged, so there was consistency. If he knocked off 3 points for improper paint on one car, he would do the same 3 point deduction for all the cars that had improper paint.

Battery was worth 3 points if you had the correct Autolite group 24 battery. Deduct 1 point for Motorcraft...(wrong battery, but at least its a Ford product)...deduct 2 points for any other non-Ford battery.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
rattlesnakehoey

hey Mr Piano, howz about getting back to your 'what I did on my lunch hour thread'. Just kidding, I am digging the work on the '39 LZ & pizza updates. Sorry guys for topic pollutin' Bill's judging thread. Carry on.
rattlesnakehoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlesnakehoey View Post
hey Mr Piano, howz about getting back to your 'what I did on my lunch hour thread'. Just kidding, I am digging the work on the '39 LZ & pizza updates. Sorry guys for topic pollutin' Bill's judging thread. Carry on.

Rattlesnakehoey, We're still working on the Zephyr and I'll continue to post our progress, etc. Glad you're enjoying the up-dates . I do like to peruse and comment on other threads when I feel it appropriate (and I can add something of value) to do so. Vic