Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2018, 06:50 AM   #1
slowforty

Default What Went Wrong Part 2

Hello
The continuing story of why the 40 wont go over 60.
It seemed that last months fix worked. WRONG (new rod helped a little,but was not the fix)
Went for a longer ride (About a 100 miles round trip.all types of traffic day and night). And after driving 35 miles or so at 50 mph, the car started to fall on its ass.Went slower and would not accelerate well. I did finish the trip and made it home,But at speed of 55 mph and dim lights. Checked the battery and it was low.Recharged the battery and the car ran a lot better.
Took the car to my Friend who knows more than me and discussed the symptoms. We found out the six volt alternator was only not charging properly. I installed another six volt alternator,Which is charging properly, and everything is running well.Car runs great, almost the best it has ever run. One of the problems.confusing me, was that I had made short trips ,less than 50 miles,and in the daytime, so the poor charging problem did not appear.
Thanks for your time again.

All the Best
Roger
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #2
flathead4rd

Default Re: What Went Wrong Part 2

Thanks for the update.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
JT FORD

Yes, short trips with no lights on, worked much better! Had a generator failed once on the road and car started missing; not enough voltage to operate the dist., battery finial went died and the car stopped..... Put a new battery in it and drove it home, 100 miles on the battery. Was day light and radio off... Generator spring on one brush had broke.
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
Mart

I had a car that was not charging and started misfiring when I put the turn signals on. I realised what was happening and turned off the headlights. It started missing again and everything was off except the sidelights so I turned them off too. Just about limped home and conked as I turned into the drive. That was a relief with wife and 2 young kids aboard.

Glad you found the source of the problem.

Mart
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
revkev6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I had a car that was not charging and started misfiring when I put the turn signals on. I realised what was happening and turned off the headlights. It started missing again and everything was off except the sidelights so I turned them off too. Just about limped home and conked as I turned into the drive. That was a relief with wife and 2 young kids aboard.

Glad you found the source of the problem.

Mart

I think we've all had one of those nights... I've done it a few times as a kid... car held together with tape and bubble gum and you worked on it so much that you know what every bump and rattle means and how far you have until it comes unglued
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote