Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
willys36

Default I need help on an early Ford front hub

In my Mysterion reproduction project I have come to the point of building the front end. I need two early Ford hubs but I am confused. I thought they were all the same (I know nothing about early Fords) but found there are at least 3 styles.

Here is a picture of what I need (the best one I could find - not much exists about this car unfortunately).

Here are a couple photos of hubs I have found. The red one on the left has a smaller rim OD, slightly larger hub ODs (like 1/16") and larger rear bearing although the dust seal is the same OD as the other two hubs shown. The two (middle and right) others are similar in flange diameter and rear bearing size (small OD than the red one.). All could work but from the first picture I think I need the one on the right.

My questions are;

If so does anyone have a hub like that which could be chromed (EVERYTHING on the Mysterion is chromed!) that they would well or trade for a set of the red hubs? I have a super clean set of the redo ones w/ good lugs and bearing races.

Also if someone can use the otherrusty hub (heavily rust pitted around rim, hubs and bearing races good on both) I will gladly give them to you, you pay shipping cost.
willys36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: I need help on an early Ford front hub

You need to tell us the year of the early ford car you are working on. Also it would be beneficial for you to buy the ford chassis parts book (green book) that covers 1928-1948.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
raisinhel

the hubs on the right go on top of the drum 1948 style. (need this style to run finned aluminum buick drums.)

the other hubs go in behind the drum.

"i dont remember the years." someone on here will know.

1937-1948 spindles will take either hub i believe if the hubs are 37 and newer.

ill gladly pay shipping for those hubs. ill take them! ill even pay some besides shipping.

*those in the 1st (black/white) picture are hubs that go in behind the drum. 40-42?

Last edited by raisinhel; 08-16-2012 at 10:13 AM.
raisinhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
alchemy

Roth's car looks like it used the center hub to me. That would be a 1946-48 hub where the drum sat inside the hub. Your far right hub may be from the same year, just a different supplier or a differnent mold variation. The center and right hubs should have the same important dimensions, just slightly different thicknesses on non-structural areas.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
nostalgia59

That red one is an F-1 truck...
nostalgia59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
willys36

Thanx for the responses. Yes I am zeroing in on the two small bearing ones on the right. From the photos I have of the Mysterion, I think it is the one on the far right with no neck down and with the small bosses under the lug bolts. I'm sorry I can't tell you 'which Ford I am working on' but this is a show car clone and ed Roth who built the prototype didn't say what car he got the hubs form. As the picture shows, it is just a bare chromed hub, no brakes installed. I am not surprised at the comment that these are hubs for the same car, just by different OEM suppliers. Murphy dictates that is the case!!!! The right hub has a slightly larger OD flange than the other two and from what I could scale off the photos I have it is what I need.

raisinhel; send me a PM w/ your mailing info and I'll send you the shipping charges. PayPal or check and I can send you the hubs.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
Roth's car looks like it used the center hub to me. That would be a 1946-48 hub where the drum sat inside the hub. Your far right hub may be from the same year, just a different supplier or a differnent mold variation. The center and right hubs should have the same important dimensions, just slightly different thicknesses on non-structural areas.
Unfortunately, MOST of the folks on the 'Barn don't have a clue as to what The MYSTERION was. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
willys36

The numbers on the hub are 01A110661. As usual pretty tough to make out casting numbers on cast iron.

I knew I would go right over the head of anyone under 40! Here is a picture of the Mysterion. Built by Ed Roth of Rat Fink fame, he was a custom car builder in the late 50s early 60s in the prime time of the sport along with George Barris (Ala Kart), Bill Cushenberry (Sillouette) and a bunch of other legends. Everyone else did their work in sheet metal and lead, Ed did his in fiberglas. He was an artist, not a very good mechanic so the Mysterion which hit the show circuit in '64 was so poorly built the frame would break in the truck while being transported between shows. Ed sold the car and the new owner got so disgusted with it he parted it out in late '64 and that was it. All there is left is some magazine articles and random photos. I fell in love with the car at first sight as a 13yr old reading Rod & Custom at the news stand.

I finall got to the point where I think I have the skills, time, and money to do credible job in cloning the Mysterion so here I am. My version will be driveable and have air condtioning! I am a career mechanical engineer so can avoid Ed's design mistakes; I'll make my own set of mistakes!!

Another Roth fanatic built a reproduction a couple years back but I was not happy with his effort; too many compromises with parts and it's proportions were pretty far off.

As you can see the Ford spindles are stars of the car so need to be correct.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
V8COOPMAN

The number "01A" at the beginning of that casting number represents 1940 Ford passenger car and light pick-up truck application. Should be relatively easy to find, as there are gazillions of 'em being sold at swap meets all the time with TRASH drums...you don't need the drums. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
willys36

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
The number "01A" at the beginning of that casting number represents 1940 Ford passenger car and light pick-up truck application. Should be relatively easy to find, as there are gazillions of 'em being sold at swap meets all the time with TRASH drums...you don't need the drums. DD
Thanx. Other experts have told me they are '48 hubs but yours is the first with some authority. I thought they would be a dime a dozen too but am finding it really hard to locate one. For sure I don't need the drum so a clean hub should be available out there somewhere!
Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
alchemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys36 View Post
... From the photos I have of the Mysterion, I think it is the one on the far right with no neck down and with the small bosses under the lug bolts. ....
Don't know what you're looking at, but the pic you posted shows the flange with no bosses, just smooth. And the inner barrel has the necked down area inside the flange. Exactly like the center hub of your choices.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
willys36

I found a pair!