Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
dean333

Send a message via Yahoo to dean333
Default 36 halogen headlamp conversion

I would like to hear some feedback from those who have converted 36 Ford Fordoors to 6v halogen bulbs. Strain on generator and voltage regulators?

Thanks Guys
dean333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 36 halogen headlamp conversion

Voltage regulator on a 36?
I know installing halogens on a stock and very well built / maintained 1940 Ford draws way too much current.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
38 coupe

I don't have a 36, but I do have a 37. I used the drop in replacement bulb, part number 170-957H, sold by Little British Car Company, http://www.lbcarco.com. I also installed new reproduction headlight lenses to replace the original brown colored ones and also new reproduction reflectors since the silver on mine was beyond saving. Each change made a big difference. The combination of all three made a startling difference. My generator has no problem keeping up with this.

I also run a regulator that looks like and installs in place of the cut out. The regulator is made by Fun Projects: http://www.funprojects.com/products/10505v.cfm
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
dean333

Send a message via Yahoo to dean333

Kube,
Some previous owner has changed my generator from the original to one without a cutout using a voltage regulator.
dean333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:36 AM   #5
ford38v8

[QUOTE=38 coupe;634628] ...I also installed new reproduction headlight lenses to replace the original brown colored ones...
/QUOTE]

38 coupe, If you still have those original "brown" lenses, you'll be happy to discover that 75 years worth of (brown) road grime deposited on the inside of the lenses can easily be removed with Dawn Dish Detergent and your wife's plastic bristle dish scrubber.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I used the same halogen bulbs as 38 coupe used in my stock '35 fordor with original six volt 3 brush generator w/cutout system. They do not draw as much current as the original halogen conversion kits did. I did have to adjust the third brush on the generator for higher current.They gave me ~ 30% brighter headlights. I have actually had some modern cars flash their lights at me when I forgot that I had the high beams on. I will try Alan's suggestion for brightening up the stock reflectors.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 04-18-2013 at 10:03 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean333 View Post
Kube,
Some previous owner has changed my generator from the original to one without a cutout using a voltage regulator.
I think you are better off with the regulator. Still, as others have advised, you may have to do some adjusting of it (regulator) as the lamps will draw more voltage.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
deuce_roadster

I don't think I would run the amount of current halogens demand through an original light switch. A relay should be a part of the conversion if done.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #9
Tom Morookian

2 problems with Halogens:

The 6 volt wires will handle the amperage but the switch won't. You need a 30 amp relay.

The length of the high/low beam filaments is different. I run H4's in my 36 but I run the high beam as a low beam. The low beam filament is out of the focal range of the reflector and is about as bright as a parking light and is very diffuse.
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
Kurt in NJ

It depends on which bulbs you use, I have been using direct fit bulbs in my A for 12+ years, NO changes to anything --except that I could LOWER the charge rate I was using with 50cp regular bulbs, the whole key to good lights is having the bulbs, reflectors and lenses working together, some of the repro reflectors are not shaped correct, or have3 wrong bulb placement ---the lights can seem very bright, but won't project the light more than a few feet, if the shape of the reflector is wrong you just have scattered light, not a beam ---if the filament of the bulb has the wrong position you will have scattered light ---a low wattage system can make more useable light than a bulb with 3 times the wattage poorly placed, original bulbs have one filament in the center, another a little off center for low beam, some other bulbs made for different lens reflector system have the filaments at different focal positions horizontally (h4)---different lenses to make it work

The original generator, switch and wiring are good for 35-50 watt ranges when properly restored to original specifications.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Correction to my earlier post on this thread. I used 6V halogen headlight and taillight bulbs from these folks http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/page2.html The ampere draw was slightly more than the original type bulbs. I am not concerned about the ability of the stock wiring or switch in my '35 fordor to handle this increase in amperage. There is no problem with the focal point in high or low beam. They are direct replacements for original bulbs. These bulbs light up the roadway much better (30% brighter according to manufacturer) than the original type bulbs allowing me (and my wife) to feel much more confident while driving at night.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 04-19-2013 at 09:34 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote