Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2022, 08:14 AM   #1
Gino

Default Clutch Release Lever

Hi, thanks for the recent advice. I mustered up the courage to drop the transmission. I know, I know, anyone can take @#$& apart! But I realize IÂ’m the novice who will be putting it back together. Indeed the rivets that attach the lever to the bell housing failed. My question, can I use a typical machine bolt with tapered head or do have to locate the elusive hardened bolt? I have found the kit that comes with a bracket ( different than the existing bracket) but how could I know if the accompanying screws are hardened? I donÂ’t mind paying the approximate 20 bucks. It would be worth it not to have a redo in the near future. Thanks and God Bless.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:36 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Default Re: Clutch Release Lever

CONTINUED @ This Thread -

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...26#post2091626

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:32 PM   #3
eric12alexander

I just swapped out the older style clutch rod so I can run f1 style clutch linkage
eric12alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:57 PM   #4
Gino

I was not able to find any flat head bolts that are hardened. Long story so I’ll keep this short. I ordered the bracket and screws from “Melvin’s”, I want to believe the manufacturer has it right, however I was not able to get that spec. If you don’t mind I have no idea what f1 linkage is. I think I should let on that this a 65 Falcon, 200 ci. 6 cyl. Synchronized manual 3 speed on the floor with a Hurst Shifter. If I can improve or up grade to some better linkage system I’d love to know about it. Thanks
Old 01-04-2022, 08:32 PM   #5
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Clutch Release Lever

If you found this -

- https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...rts/7522d.html

... you should be good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12alexander View Post

I just swapped out the older style clutch rod so I can run f1 style clutch linkage
I would like to know what f1 refers to myself ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:26 AM   #6
Gino

Thanks Kultulz, I like your sense of humor and appreciate your help. Sorry you guys have to deal with a bone head amateur. That would be me. Anyway while I have your attention, it appears that the bolts shown in the link you sent me are hardened with a process that turns the steel black. I have read so where that this makes the steel brittle. I donÂ’t know if this is important to the task the screws must perform in fastening the bracket. Wow I sound intelligent here! Hope IÂ’m not a bother, I enjoy the learner nag and conversation. Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:09 AM   #7
KULTULZ

Post Re: Clutch Release Lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post

Thanks Kultulz, I like your sense of humor and appreciate your help. Sorry you guys have to deal with a bone head amateur. That would be me.
No, the main reason of a board such as this is to help others and share info. You are not a bother.

Quote:
Anyway while I have your attention,
Better be quick as the CRS is advancing rapidly...

Quote:
... it appears that the bolts shown in the link you sent me are hardened with a process that turns the steel black. I have read so where that this makes the steel brittle. I donÂ’t know if this is important to the task the screws must perform in fastening the bracket. Wow I sound intelligent here! Hope IÂ’m not a bother, I enjoy the learner nag and conversation. Thanks again.
Usually the color shown on the photo as regards to fastener color is a result of case hardening. I had no idea these fasteners were available but if that is true in this case, they are what you need. Most everything now is CHI-COM so it is a crap-shoot.

Your pressure plate will not be that strong and hopefully they will work for you.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 01-05-2022, 09:55 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Question Re: Clutch Release Lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12alexander View Post

Can you elaborate on that? You know something I don't and I need to learn ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 01-06-2022, 08:40 AM   #9
Gino

Hi, I’ve got to wait for parts I ordered, I’ll get back here when/ if I get it all back together. I don’t know why that gentleman talked about f1 linkage, it is really designed for muscle or race cars. I also don’t believe it is a simple install. However remember I’m a goldfish in a big pond.