Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
56sedandelivery

Default Fender anti squeak seal?

So tore down the fenders to redo them. The anti squeak seal was held on with looks like staples. Do I need to pull the staples and reuse them or is there another way of attaching the seal? It is part number B5A 16170 A.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:12 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Fender anti squeak seal?

When I redid mine, I used the replacement staples that came in the seal kit. But I suppose you could skip the staples and glue them on with the same glue you use to glue the door rubber seals to the door.
The little strip that goes between the top of the front fender and cowl has to be glued on.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:08 PM   #3
Hot Rod Reverend

Use the staples if you are going "original" on your build. I would think that Ford used staples because of the assembly line and speed requirements for putting things together, not to mention the bean counters with lower overall costs of using simple staples.

Like Dave said, glue or some other type of industrial adhesive is a good idea if you have time, saves you dealing with hardware or the staple issues. I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive and I used staples as well...
Old 01-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
54vicky

that is actually a splash shield use the staples saves messing with adhesives.the only problem is lining up them with the holes in inner fender.
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
Hot Rod Reverend

to the OP: check this out... there are more articles on the website to help as well.
https://www.hotrodreverend.com/post/...n-blog-part-13
Old 01-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #6
56sedandelivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Reverend View Post
to the OP: check this out... there are more articles on the website to help as well.
https://www.hotrodreverend.com/post/...n-blog-part-13

Good stuff. Thanks
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #7
tjaybo

There are stainless steel staples available from all the old ford parts suppliers. I had to cut the old staples with dykes and pull them out in 2 pieces. Then drill out each hole slightly for the slightly larger staples. Then temporarily tape the rubber in place line up and make the hole in the rubber. Put the new staples in and bend with 2 pair pliers. they don't bend easy.
I don't think glued on would hold very long in this application
tjaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:21 PM   #8
Daves55Sedan

When I installed the rubber seals on my fender aprons, I used the original staple holes in the metal. Here's how. Begin by laying the end of the rubber at the end of the metal flange. Don't worry about cutting the rubber yet. Get a small drill bit that will just barely poke thru the staple holes. Hold the rubber on the metal flange and drill thru the holes from underneath. Now install the first staple thru the holes. Use needle-nosed pliers to bend the staples over underneath. No go to the next set of staple holes and repeat. Keep going till all the staples are in. Do them in order. Make sure there is no slack in the rubber before drilling holes.
You can also attach that separate lower splash panel and continue stapling the rubber onto it's flange so you don't have a cut in that piece till you get to the very bottom of the lower splash shield.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote