Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2017, 11:22 PM   #41
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: OT: What to do if you could choose all over again?

Marry rich!
Old 12-15-2017, 11:27 PM   #42
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
Yes i agree too many kids have thier face in a phone nowadays and dont go play in the mud or have hobbies.
Yeah, what's with that? I try talking to people. No reaction what soever.
They've all become some terrified of talking face to face with someone that they literally run away from someone who speaks.
Talked to a girl the other day. Most verbal person I've met in over a year. She never spoke more than one word per sentence.
And she was staring at her phone the whole entire time.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:51 PM   #43
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
Yeah, what's with that? I try talking to people. No reaction what soever.
They've all become some terrified of talking face to face with someone that they literally run away from someone who speaks.
Talked to a girl the other day. Most verbal person I've met in over a year. She never spoke more than one word per sentence.
And she was staring at her phone the whole entire time.
I dont have a good answer for that. Partially belive its my generations paper newspaper that the older generation always has thier face in haha. I still prefer paper books and turning the page when it comes to lesiure reading. I get all my morning news laying in my warm cocoon of a bed everymorning reading it on my phone for free. Now as to the rudeness? Not sure. I try to talk to people as well.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:19 AM   #44
Chris Haynes

I started working in the Motion Picture and Television Industry when I was 17 years old. Outside of my time in the Military that is about all I have done. I wouldn't change a thing.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #45
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
As a millennial myself I can understand that somewhat - hardly any companies promote from within, there is no ladder to climb so if I want to get a better position I gotta go somewhere else. Reason? Companies are cheap. Why would they promote this guy and have to pay him more when they can hire someone off the street for less than hes currently making to be his boss?
Seen it happen and happened to me multiple times. Sounds like the girl in the story above was just bored, got a better offer or equal job with better non monetary benefits like weekends off (because life is short and hursts dont come with trailer hitches). She didnt want to burn any bridges so if her new job didnt work out she was on good terms and could come back as its the exact things id say haha. She didnt want to leave just because she felt like it i can guarantee that.

Yes theres alot of parents that dont teach thier kids how to fix anything. The US school system is abysmal. From gradeschool on its all about passing standardized tests as if a school does poorly their federal funding gets cut (makes perfect sense doesnt it) so they pass students to 7th and 8th grade who read at a 2nd grade level . Schools cant discipline kids either and I'm sorry but some kids need to get smacked back in line. Highschools are cutting trades, music, and art due to funding as people will raise holy hell over a .2% tax increase on their taxes for the school. I dont think its a lack of interest at all. Yes i agree too many kids have thier face in a phone nowadays and dont go play in the mud or have hobbies. Highschools should prepare you for life no matter the career you take or if you go on to college, should be semester long classes on how to prepare taxes, balance budget/how to live within your means, how to build a resume and have an interview with practice interviews, how to buy a house smartly, how to buy a car smartly.

PM me if you want to "ask a millennial" i love reading all those articles about things were ruining from styrofoam cups, napkins, diamonds, chain restaurants, malls, etc
Heck, I have even seen 40+ year old adults do the same thing.

Few I have seen even carry a second phone and got their nose in that one as well!

Absolutly correct on that statement!

Pluck

PS...A Research Agronomist.

Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #46
Ted Duke

I'm almost 81. Been a retail clerk, soda jerk, janitor (that's a custodian now-a-days), mail clerk, printer, (college student in here also) grocery checker, Naval Officer for 20 yrs, par-time custodian, substitute teacher, business owner for 5 yrs, sales rep for 19 yrs and also cattle farmer (part-time, then full time, now hobby farmer) for 37 of those yrs and the only thing I would change is ...? Nothing! Enjoyed 95% of it.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #47
BILL WILLIAMSON

HOW could I choose over again? I cain't even recomember ALL the JOBS I've had!!!
Bill Dimwit
Old 12-16-2017, 03:00 PM   #48
48fordnut

Growing up as a teenager had all kind of piss ant jobs. Worked for a crop duster and enjoyed that . Went into A/F and finally got some direction to my life ,was a B 52 gunner and enjoyed my job. Retired E7. Have tinkered with cars and small acft all my life. Change anything .. no I'm pretty satisfied where I am.
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #49
TMH1953

Chased that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (oil & gas prospector) for 35 years always turning a drill bit to the right thinking this is gonna the big one. Got tired and decided to hang it up last minute month, the 35 years went by in a flash
TMH1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #50
glenn in camino

I think I'd collect Corvettes or something worth more than Model A Fords.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #51
BN

I figured out what I wanted to do when I was 18 years old in the Navy – a mechanical engineer. No one explained to me what mechanical engineers do, I just figured it out for myself. After the Navy, I enrolled in an engineering school (thanks to the G.I. Bill and a gracious aunt). I enjoyed the mechanical engineering courses I took (like machine shop, welding, auto mechanics and later mechanisms & kinematics, fluid dynamics, strength of materials, mechanical vibrations, thermodynamics, internal combustion engines, and others), but the later courses were also very difficult for me. I managed to pull about a B average though. After school, I worked for a diesel engine applications company which manufactured just about anything that would require a diesel engine. After that I worked for an oil well stimulation company designing truck mounted high pressure pumping units, high pressure reciprocating pumps, and establishing cooling systems for the diesel engines on these units. Then, the last 25 years of my career, I worked for a helicopter company evaluating rotor hub components for adequate strength. I have been retired now for about 7 years. I very much enjoyed the work I did at all three of these companies and if I had it to do over I wouldn't change anything. Like the old saying goes, find what you like to do and you won't work a day in your life. Actually, it wasn't all a “bed of roses”. In the late 70's the MBA's started taking over the companies and busting everything down into departments. I found that I could no longer design something and then write the purchase orders to have it implemented – I had to get approval from someone each step of the way who didn't know zip about what I was doing. Then came the HR departments that added more day to day frustration. Still, despite the frustrations, I wouldn't change anything.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:34 PM   #52
Simonpie

I've had a pretty varied career as a mechanical engineer. Started at Boeing commercial, then Norton Motorcycles (yes, they still exist), and now designing electron microscopes and systems. Sure there have been dull periods, but any trip to an airport or seeing a Norton on the road makes me proud to have been a part. Microscopes are harder to stumble across, but the same pride applies.

As for the millenials, I don't like to job hop. It is usually thrust upon me, but other than a few filler jobs, every transition has brought an increase in pay. Sometimes substantial. I think job hopping nowadays is a good idea. Few companies have a vision for the employee beyond the next quarter, maybe the next year.

I still have some time in me. I'd like to find a job where I can die in harness. I don't think full retirement is going to agree with me.
Simonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #53
Chevmn56

Quote:
As a millennial myself I can understand that somewhat - hardly any companies promote from within, there is no ladder to climb so if I want to get a better position I gotta go somewhere else. Reason? Companies are cheap. Why would they promote this guy and have to pay him more when they can hire someone off the street for less than hes currently making to be his boss?
Seen it happen and happened to me multiple times. Sounds like the girl in the story above was just bored, got a better offer or equal job with better non monetary benefits like weekends off (because life is short and hursts dont come with trailer hitches). She didnt want to burn any bridges so if her new job didnt work out she was on good terms and could come back as its the exact things id say haha. She didnt want to leave just because she felt like it i can guarantee that.

Yes theres alot of parents that dont teach thier kids how to fix anything. The US school system is abysmal. From gradeschool on its all about passing standardized tests as if a school does poorly their federal funding gets cut (makes perfect sense doesnt it) so they pass students to 7th and 8th grade who read at a 2nd grade level . Schools cant discipline kids either and I'm sorry but some kids need to get smacked back in line. Highschools are cutting trades, music, and art due to funding as people will raise holy hell over a .2% tax increase on their taxes for the school. I dont think its a lack of interest at all. Yes i agree too many kids have thier face in a phone nowadays and dont go play in the mud or have hobbies. Highschools should prepare you for life no matter the career you take or if you go on to college, should be semester long classes on how to prepare taxes, balance budget/how to live within your means, how to build a resume and have an interview with practice interviews, how to buy a house smartly, how to buy a car smartly.

PM me if you want to "ask a millennial" i love reading all those articles about things were ruining from styrofoam cups, napkins, diamonds, chain restaurants, malls, etc

Hey Slug i think you me more of an exception in the millennial generation you dont sound entitled, or discourteous, and you sound very intelligent and have some common sense (a lot of millennials dont) , most of your millennials that give you guys a bad wrap are still living at home or at college with there parents bankrolling them and they see nothing wrong with it. An example is my son (a millennial) goes to college at Arizona on a baseball scholarship, im still paying housing and 20% tuition, he has the use of my car and 150.0 a week for spending/eating, and i ask him hows it going down there he tells me and i quote "not bad just trying to learn how to live on my own" wow!!!!!!!!....needless to say he lost his scholarship, with bad grades and still expected me to pick up the bill.....He then tells me he will come home and live with me but hill come and do as he pleases hes 18 and should have no rules!!!!! needless to say he isn't living with me lol.....hes got the world by the tail.....i told him go forth and prosper. Now im the bad guy cuz he has no money.

Anyway I wouldn't change a thing i did, went in the AF after graduation (was dragged down to recruiter, this is the best thing my old man did for me) was a Jet Mech for 4yrs and then got into the aviation industry (Air Traffic Control) love my job. It has allowed me to retire at 56 in 2 years and live comfortably now and in retirement. Some on this thread said they would not comment on their wife.....i will, i did change wifes and it was the best damn thing i did LOL.

Last edited by Chevmn56; 12-17-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Chevmn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #54
V4F

I would build a "B" motor rather than an "A" motor
Old 12-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #55
Gunmetal blue2

I would have followed through with starting a restoration shop in 1970 for Model A &AA
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #56
[email protected]

At age 90, I can still see, walk without canes, walkers, crutches or scooters, and can still type quite well on this computer, so whatever I've done as an occupation, and there have been many, must have been good for me!
Hodbilll@Yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #57
[email protected]

At age 90, I can still see, walk without canes, walkers, crutches or scooters, can type quite well on this computer, still playing with Model A's and other old cars, so whatever I did as an occupation, and there have been several, must have been good for me!
Hodbilll@Yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #58
George Miller

I,m happy I think it all worked out for me.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #59
Tinbasher

A lot of great answers. I wouldn't change anything. I've been into cars since I was 12 years old, 63 now. Wanted to be a car designer but I wasn't a great artist so the guidance counselor got me in the Body shop in high school. Yes in those days we had trades in the schools. I've been at it ever since. 240 restorations later and still at. The Best car is still the Model A. Almost made a living but enjoyed what I've done and am doing. Going to start a new career next month as a trainer for Body Shop Equipment co. Looking forward to it, it should be a good challenge.

John Poole "The Old Tinbasher"
P.S. I always ask people. What did you want to do when you where 12? JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:26 PM   #60
Cape Codder

The A.F. decided for me back a few years ago. I had a career on F-100's, F-101's, F-106's and finally F-15 Eagles. Spent 8 years active duty and 27 more full time with the ANG. Retired with 34 years service as an E-8 and no I would not want to change any of it.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote