Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2021, 10:08 PM   #1
connecticut mike

Default Thanks and Information

I would like to begin this post by thanking all the forum members who have shared their knowledge over the years. Having no training as a mechanic, I could not have accomplished what I have on my Model A without the help of this forum.

That said, I am asking for the members to share their knowledge about cam shaft bearings and axle bearings. None of the restoration or maintenance manuals that I have mention these bearings. All of the books seem to treat these bearings like they don't need replacement, and that the shafts are just shoved into place. Likewise, these bearings do not appear in the parts catalogs of the suppliers that I know of. Lastly, I have had little success searching this site or other Model A forums for information.

Please excuse me if this topic has been covered; perhaps someone would direct me to the discussions. Thanks, again.

Mike
connecticut mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:29 PM   #2
The Master Cylinder

Default Re: Thanks and Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by connecticut mike View Post
I would like to begin this post by thanking all the forum members who have shared their knowledge over the years. Having no training as a mechanic, I could not have accomplished what I have on my Model A without the help of this forum.

That said, I am asking for the members to share their knowledge about cam shaft bearings and axle bearings. None of the restoration or maintenance manuals that I have mention these bearings. All of the books seem to treat these bearings like they don't need replacement, and that the shafts are just shoved into place. Likewise, these bearings do not appear in the parts catalogs of the suppliers that I know of. Lastly, I have had little success searching this site or other Model A forums for information.

Please excuse me if this topic has been covered; perhaps someone would direct me to the discussions. Thanks, again.

Mike
The Model A engine does not have any camshaft bearings to replace. The cam rides right in the cast iron block. I don't have an answer why Ford did it this way.

I'm sure Ford never expected the Model A to last 90+ years tho.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:45 AM   #3
nkaminar

Default Re: Thanks and Information

The Model T had babbett cam bearings with cast iron carriers (housings). They were reamed to fit the camshaft. They were expensive. I suspect eliminating the camshaft bearings in the Model A was an over reaction to the cost of the camshaft bearings in the Model T.

I imagine that if a block has excessive worn camshaft bearings (holes) that the block could be reamed and bushings inserted.

I don't have the specifications, but the rollers on the axle bearings can be measured with a micrometer. If they are 0.002 undersized then they need replacing. Or if pitted. Model T rollers, if I remember correctly, are 0.500 originally. Also they need replacement if the pins that hold them together are loose and cannot be peened to tighten them. I am not sure if a Model A has a sleeve but if that is oversize or pitted it needs to be replaced. The shaft journal also needs to be measured and replaced if undersize. Again, not sure of the specifications but in general you are looking for excessive wear. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 05-23-2021 at 05:58 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote