Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2021, 12:10 AM   #1
Alaska Jim

Default column shift linkage under hood adjustment on a '51 Mercury

As many of you know, I have been working on my '51 Merc. off and on all winter. My question now is, Is there an alignment hole somewhere on the column under the hood to line up the 2 shift arms , while the shift rods are adjusted to fit the shift arms on the trans. ? The trans, and the trans shift arms are not the one's that were originally in the car, and I feel that they are off a bit, especially when shifting into 1st gear. It does not want to always go into first. I have only run the car on jack stands, so this may not be a problem when actually driving the car. I am aware that sometimes, you have to go into 2nd or reverse to get into 1st gear. just the nature of the beast if the car is not moving. any advise/ help is appreciated.--- Jim
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:06 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: column shift linkage under hood adjustment on a '51 Mercury

The rods are the only adjustable part. The shift arms on the transmission are riveted fixed and are pretty much unique to the 49 thru early 51 Mercs. The column shift arms have no adjustment but they should be centered with each other when the control is in neutral position. I would suggest rigging up some sort of clamp to hold the neutral position.

The shift tube inside the column can get wear on the nubs or dogs (or whatever you want to call them) that engage and move the arms. If the wear gets to be excessive, it's hard to keep the shift alignment so that is something to consider as well.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-15-2021 at 06:01 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:08 PM   #3
Alaska Jim

Default Re: column shift linkage under hood adjustment on a '51 Mercury

rotorwrench, thank you for your information. I had no problems with the shift linkage before I changed the trans. . I am sure it is only a minor adj. that is needed. I was surprised that I could not find any adj. procedure in the factory manual. I will either get a helper to sit in the car and hold the shifter in the neutral position while I make the needed adjustment, or I will make up a clamp as you suggest. Thank you again for your help, I know you have a lot of experience on the Merc's, and I appreciate your knowledge.----Jim
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote