Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #1
Ian1932

Default Wrong Forum

Guys, I realize after reading more "stuff" I probably chose the wrong forum. I do not have the money nor knowledge to restore my cars to exact originals. I just didnt want to disappear and not say anything...
Ian1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Wrong Forum

If you have an old Ford you are probably in the right place. Lots of folks here don't have the mega dollars to restore a car to exact originals. Besides, they are only original once. Stick around and gain some ground.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
corvette8n

Ian stick around, no matter what you do with an old car it's going to cost money, as far as knowledge you'll get it here, you'll gain a lot of no how just by watching.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
deuce_roadster

Some of us have cars that are Concourse cars, most probably do not. Some like me have a car that can be point judged (my 40 wagon) as well as cars that are modified but have flathead running gear. From what I gathered from your project you wouldn't get flack by remaining here. If you were putting a SBC in there, that might be different.
Since almost everything on a 32 is a 1 year only, it is REALLY expensive and hard to restore one to factory original unless you start with a complete unrestored car. I have 2 32s a roadster and a 5w coupe and both are modified.
Hope you stay.

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 12-02-2017 at 01:41 PM.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
D type

It doesn't matter your income ---- the knowledge and information on here is priceless !
Old 12-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Some of us have cars that are Concourse cars, most probably do not. Some like me have a car that can be point judged (my 40 wagon) as well as cars that are modified but have flathead running gear. From what I gathered from your project you wouldn't get flack by remaining here. If you were putting a SBC in there, that might be different.
Since almost everything on a 32 is a 1 year only, it is REALLY expensive and hard to restore one to factory original unless you start with a complete unrestored car. I have 2 32s a roadster and a 5w coupe and both are modified.
Hope you stay.
Basically, i have a ton of old 32 ford items. Some 5 of the same thing that have been collected by my father since he was just a kid. But, I have only 1 set of fenders. I wanted the fenders to go on the 5w coupe. I cant just go buy a set of steel fenders. So, with the roadster that i am restoring first i was going to paint the frame winter leaf brown light, which is what i wanted for body color. It will have a flathead V8, 18" cream wire wheels, and a drop front axle. Everything else as original as i can get it. I have a friend that told me that it will not fly here and youll catch flak...It doesnt bother me that this might be the case. I just dont want it to get to that point. I was just taking his word for it...
Old 12-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
Mart

Don't worry about it. This site caters for Early Fords, with Early Ford running gear. Lots of regulars here have cars that are not stock, lots of unrestored cars too. There's a wealth of knowledge amongst the members of this site, feel free to tap into that knowledge base. I for one enjoyed looking at the pics of your (Dads) parts stash.

I just reread your last post and basically your friend is wrong. Just keep doing what you are doing and as long as you're not going 350/350/9"/tweed you'll be fine.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #8
redmodelt

Some friend! LOL Some things yes, some things maybe not so much. If your not feeling welcome, hope you are, there is also the sister section,
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/
Both sites have a big base of people that know a thing or two!
While mostly this is dedicated to original cars as Ford built them, I have seen a lot of OTHER stuff posted over the years in this section. Stick in there.
RE flack, let it slide off your back, some people are just full of them self, and some are full of them self but know what the heck they are talking about. Takes a while to figure who's who.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #9
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Some friend! LOL Some things yes, some things maybe not so much. If your not feeling welcome, hope you are, there is also the sister section,
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/
Both sites have a big base of people that know a thing or two!
While mostly this is dedicated to original cars as Ford built them, I have seen a lot of OTHER stuff posted over the years in this section. Stick in there.
RE flack, let it slide off your back, some people are just full of them self, and some are full of them self but know what the heck they are talking about. Takes a while to figure who's who.
I searched "early ford forum" this was the first thing that showed and thats where it went. I knew it wasnt about chopped cars and blowers but i didnt know it was that strict. If the moderators are ok with with im doing, then i just listened to the wrong guy...My mistake...
Old 12-02-2017, 03:18 PM   #10
RalphM

I have three early Fords, none of them are bone stock and will ever be judged for originality. But all are flathead powered, early ford suspension, brakes, etc. they are a blast to play with and learn about, and I have gained a wealth of knowledge from this site about maintaining them. And I hope I have helped contribute by answering a question or two as well.
I have been to some shops, and guys garages that are doing perfect restorations, and I really admire what they are doing. I’ve had friends tell me I was being too detailed when I was using castellated nuts and cotter pins, instead of those plastic cinch nuts! And my car is not perfect.
I believe you belong here as much as a fellow doing a concourse restoration. I hope you stay and learn all you can, oh and show us lots of pictures of your progress!

Ralph
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #11
Dave Castle

Hang in there, r bark is worse than our bite !!
Dave Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #12
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1932 View Post
Basically, i have a ton of old 32 ford items. Some 5 of the same thing that have been collected by my father since he was just a kid. But, I have only 1 set of fenders. I wanted the fenders to go on the 5w coupe. I cant just go buy a set of steel fenders. So, with the roadster that i am restoring first i was going to paint the frame winter leaf brown light, which is what i wanted for body color. It will have a flathead V8, 18" cream wire wheels, and a drop front axle. Everything else as original as i can get it. I have a friend that told me that it will not fly here and youll catch flak...It doesnt bother me that this might be the case. I just dont want it to get to that point. I was just taking his word for it...
Stick with us , you are just fine. Lots of free knowledge here to guide you through your project. If you have a Deuce 5 window you will be the envy of a lot of guys on here.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:24 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Think you'll find a lot of flathead period Hot Rodders on here mixed in with the original stock guys. It's the love of flatheads and anything early Ford that is the common factor.

Last edited by JSeery; 12-02-2017 at 08:22 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #14
51504bat

I've been a member for over 4 years and never felt that I didn't belong because I didn't have a 100 point car. My current daily driver "Rusty" is a '39 p/u with a '52 EAB and a Studebaker bed. Definitely not pristine and well deserving of his name! I learn stuff all the time from this forum. Stay with us. I'm sure you've got things to offer the group and I know the group has a lot to offer you as well.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #15
woodiewagon46

Ian, you are not alone. The vast majority of people that have early Ford's don't restore or rebuild to concourse specs. Drive them and enjoy them and don't worry about a stone chip or some pompous judge.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #16
michael a

Are you just has eat up as the rest of us when you can't help but look and a nice looking car or the way it sounds or that warm feeling you get inside when you see it then this is definitely where you belong no one else will have us

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:29 PM   #17
GB SISSON

The guys here are really a great bunch. We all get to do it EXACTLY how we want. My truck based woodie thread has quite a few interested followers and I'm using toyota landcruiser door latches, second hand extension cords for my wire harness and a firestone pond liner from amazon for roof covering. It wouldn't win points at an Early V8 club event, but I don't give a rat's ass if it did or didn't. I am having the time of my life building it along with all my other cobbled up fords as well. Stick around, if you want to tackle your Dad's '32s, you are one of US! I have always steered clear of the HAMB because folks have said they can be really hard on folks that don't do it their way. I can be a bit thin skinned and the guys here have been really nice to me, so I have dug in here and my first internet home FTE (ford truck enthusiasts forum)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:56 PM   #18
32phil

My cars range from 100% bone stock restored (to the best of my ability and wallet) to neat little, slightly modified hot rods (NOT Street Rods).
All are Flathead powered but I even have one with a SBC but it's a very early 265 mated to bone stock running gear.
I love em' all and don't mind a few modifications.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:18 PM   #19
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Think you'll find a lot of flathead period Hot Rodders on here mixed in with the original stock guys. It's the love of flatheads and anything early Ford that is the common factor.
I think that sums it up well . Stick around Ian , this is where you belong !
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:23 PM   #20
cas3

if i had a 32 coupe and a 32 roadster i could shove all this other junk outside. lucky man you are. stick around there are many 32 experts to be found here. possibly some grouchy old men too, but many know they're stuff. use google with fordbarn included in the search and you will learn alot . best wishes on your projects, we like pictures so keep em coming, skip
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote