Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2016, 01:00 AM   #41
Marv

Default Re: wiper vacuum source

Maybe check this pump out. It is not cheap but it sounds like it has enough CFM to work wipers.
$273.72 at Amazon - ★★★★✮
CVR VP555 12V Electric Vacuum Pump - $273.72

Last edited by Marv; 02-02-2016 at 01:02 AM. Reason: forgot to put info in.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #42
Merc Cruzer

First let me tell you I have a 53' Merc Convertible and it is still 6 volt. Earlier in this chain of posts I attached a Trico Vacuum pump on e-bay that he wanted $245. Other than be amazed at the price, it did give me an idea. Went to the TriState Swap meet down in Denver today and asked everyone if they had a 6 volt wiper motor. I know Ford used them in the pickups from 53'-55' One guy said yes and showed me this 6 volt Trico vacuum pump. I said how much and he replied $10.00 so I bought it. Brought it home and cleaned it up. Then hooked it up to the vacuum wiper motor and winner winner chicken dinner. So far I have the power just hooked up to the pos ground and neg hot leads for the motor. I am still trying to figure out the other wire lead, fuse etc. I can tell you it is more an adequate for the wiper. Any information on the other terminal, fuse etc would be appreciated. Now all I need to do is mount it under the dash and locate a switch for it, and no more stalled wipers on the climb back up to 8300 from Denver on those rainy days. It looks like Trico knew they had an issue with the wipers, so maybe they created this to cure the problem, either way it works. No model number on the unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7144.jpg (54.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7146.jpg (56.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7159.jpg (59.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7162.jpg (68.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7154.jpg (59.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7163.jpg (60.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7164.jpg (67.9 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 02-06-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #43
Alaska Jim

That is great, wish I could find one.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:28 PM   #44
Old Henry

Would that we could all get a $245.00 pump for $10.00.

Great find!
Old 02-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #45
Merc Cruzer

I am going to do a little research to find out what the application was for this pump. That way anyone can get one for their car. I doubt that it would have any application in today's world (think about it it is a 6 volt vacuum pump) other than to serve as a supplement to the vacuum supply in a fifty's car with vacuum wipers. That said, these are probably only worth $10.00. Now all I need is a web site that would tell me what the application was and how this was intended to work.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 02-07-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:54 PM   #46
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms50f5coe View Post
I have a aux. 6 volt vacuum pump on my truck. It has a switch that cycles it on when manifold vacuum is low. Helps alot. Appears to be original to the truck, maybe dealer option. 1950 F5coe
Sent you a PM regarding the pump on your 1950 F5coe.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #47
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
A quick "Google" search shows that there are quite a few options for vacuum operated switches that could be used to turn the pump on only when needed. I think I am going to forego my search for a vacuum reservoir for a while until we hear from Henry.
Any one know of a application for a vacuum switch that I could find in a salvage yard? The new ones are all above $40 and that is just too much to pay for one to use in this experiment. OK so I am cheap. I just want a low cost solution to the problem.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #48
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Any one know of a application for a vacuum switch that I could find in a salvage yard? The new ones are all above $40 and that is just too much to pay for one to use in this experiment. OK so I am cheap. I just want a low cost solution to the problem.
It should be simple. I would look on eBay or someplace similar and find one that looks like it would work that came on a car ten years old or older; then go to the salvage yard. If I remember when I was looking at them, they are commonly used to control some older automatic transmissions.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #49
supereal

A vacuum reservoir is a good idea either with such a pump, or without. A large tin can, such as used for fruit juice, makes a good one. Solder a house nipple into the top and run to a tee in the line between the manifold and the wiper. Ford used just such a device years ago in trucks. If you need a check valve in the system, most hot tub dealers have them. They are used to prevent flooding the ozone generator, and are inexpensive.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #50
Old Henry

I know a vacuum reservoir tank for the windshield wipers sounds like a good idea and Ford even manufactured and sold one as an optional accessory for the 46-48. I thought it sounded like such a great idea that I bought one and installed it. I have since taken it back out. Why? Here's the rub: A reservoir tank sounds like a good idea, the "theory" being that it would "store" vacuum so that when you accelerated or were climbing a hill and lost the constant continuous vacuum from the engine that the reservoir would take over and run the wipers until you let up on the gas and restored the manifold vacuum, right? Well, yes. That part worked pretty cool. When I mashed the gas, for whatever reason, I'd get about 7 full swipes of the wiper blades on the vacuum stored in the reservoir before it was gone and the wipers stopped - about 7 seconds. Then, I let up on the gas to "refill" the vacuum reservoir to get them going again. Right? Wrong! Here's why: It takes the same amount of time to "refill" the vacuum tank as it did to empty it - about 7 seconds - during which time there are not only no wipers but no power because the gas pedal has to be clear up to refill it! So, what good did that do? None! All it did was make the wiper operation "sloppy" and out of control. I decided I'd rather go back to having total control of the wipers by feathering the gas pedal just enough to keep them going if that's what I wanted or let then stop if I didn't need them constantly then, when I needed them, I could get them started immediately again by letting up on the gas pedal just for an instant for a quick swipe of the wipers then back to feathering or none until I needed a quick swipe again. I can see why Ford did not install the vacuum tanks as standard equipment. Owners would have soon bypassed them and gone with the strictly "manual" vacuum control.

The only way I can see a vacuum reservoir working is if it was hooked up to some huge vacuum port that would have to be made in the intake manifold at least as big as a power brake port so that the tank could be "refilled" immediately with a quick lift of the gas pedal while the tank could run the wipers for 7 seconds while the engine vacuum was gone. The Ford tank actually came with a larger hose to run from the carburetor vacuum port to the tank than the standard size hose from the tank to the wiper motor. But it wasn't big enough to really work.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #51
BOSSY

First thing to do is lube your vacuum wiper motor. Get a small cup of brake fluid and put on the floor of car, get a vacuum hose to go to the bottom spiked on vacuum wiper motor and long enough to reach floor. Now start motor and put wipers on and stick hose into brake fluid and get out and move wipers back and forth a few times and it sucks brake fluid thru wiper motor and cleans and lubes it and gets sucked into your motor and out the exhaust. You may need to do a couple times depends how gumed up your wiper motor is. Worked for me. I also added a double action fuel pump and was amazed at how good they work.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #52
Merc Cruzer

My search has continued and I have been in touch with a rep from Trico. They did know about the issue and made a vacuum pump and reserve tanks. The page is from their 1959 catalog. I have also attached a picture of the switch from the kit sold by Trico. The units most often showed up on commercial trucks. So now to scour the salvage yards for commercial trucks. I have to believe these units are out there just waiting to be found and re-purposed to our cars. The catalog says: "also adaptable for passenger cars". Sounds like a road trip is in order.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7194.jpg (83.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 switch.jpg (46.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7198.jpg (75.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7199[1].jpg (60.5 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 02-12-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #53
Merc Cruzer

Finally finished. Here are a few pictures. The passenger side of the engine bay was full so location of the pump went to the drivers side. The knob does light up when on, it is a little hard to see in the final picture. I have the VAC letters ordered, once they get here I put them on the knob. The pump is strong enough that even with the engine off the wipers work. Now on to the next project. I am also working the Trico sticker.

Update:

I went through a series of papers to print the label on and decided on an adhesive backed photo paper (better definition) that is water resistant. The trick here is to get a high resolution scan of the original. The rub on letters for the knob were a bit tricky, since it is curved on the face. Shot clear over the knob after the letters were in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7206.jpg (77.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7207.jpg (65.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7209.jpg (73.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7210.jpg (72.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7212.jpg (44.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 - 25.jpg (73.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7243.jpg (33.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7244.jpg (55.2 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 02-25-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #54
tubman

I always liked the dashboard and controls on those cars. It reminds me of what I think "spaceship controls" would look like!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #55
Merc Cruzer

Got caught in the rain a couple of weeks back, coming back up the hill (8300 ft) and turned on the wipers. No surprise they stopped dead on the windshield. Turned on the vacuum pump switch and what do you know, I had wipers. So yes folks, the Trico unit is worth the investment, the trick is to get it as cheap as you can. Look for them at swap meets this summer. For all you purest (like me), they are period correct, and if you get the 6 volt one no issues to install.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #56
Seth Swoboda

Newport Engineering makes an electric wiper conversion that is good. I have installed one in a 51 crestliner and like it.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #57
woodiewagon46

Merc, if I remember correctly, the vacuum pump you show was similar to the one I used for my application. I was told that the one I used was for a windshield wiper on a boat. I don't remember how much I paid for mine,... many years ago! I know that 12V pumps are available for the Hot Rod guy's that run blowers on their cars.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #58
triumphleroy

My 1949 Chevrolet COE has an electric vacum motor that i assume was an option also?
anyone used the new Newport 55 Ford Passenger car with Radio wiper motor set up?
triumphleroy is offline   Reply With Quote