Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
ivoryjohn

Default How do you break-in a new rebuild?

I'm in the process of swapping out my engine for a fresh long block. What are my fellow Barners thoughts on a proper break-in period and method?

I'm sure I will get lots of sound advice when I actually pick up the new rebuild but I would like to hear a variety of opinions of what to do prior to first time start up through the completion of the break-in. When can normal driving can commence and touring the car can begin?
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
pat in Santa Cruz

Default Re: How do you break-in a new rebuild?

Follow the instructions of the engine builder. They will all be different according to many variables such as bearing type, ring type, pistons used, etc. Ford originally said not to exceed 35 MPH for 500 miles. The complete instructions from Ford are in the operators manuals.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
1931 flamingo

After dumping that much money, why ask us? Ask the builder what his recomendations are so you don't void his warranty. You do get a warranty?? JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:58 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Listen only to the rebuilder of your engine!! To deviate could mean no warranty even if the method you used worked fine for another rebuilder.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Ummm ..... Throttle pedal on the wood and the engine screamin'? .

(My theory is "Test 'em out early!")

Actually, the advice above is 'spot on'.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 05-21-2011 at 08:33 AM.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
Kurt in NJ

I broke in my last rebuild in 2 days, I started at the ocean, when I got to Ohio I considered it broke in.

I kept 35-40 through NJ, 40-45 to Harrisburg, 45-48 till I made it out of PA, that night it rocked on compression when I shut it off ---then I changed the oil.

The next day I drove with traffic ---50-55, found that my top speed was 67.

After 1500 miles into the trip I drove over 60 all day --I was trying to break it, it was the first engine I poured my own babbitt, I am still "testing" it 25 years later.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
ivoryjohn

I will of course listen to the builder of the engine and heed what he says religiously. There is a year warranty.

With that said I respect the several thousand years of accumulated knowledge and experiences both good and bad of my fellow Barn Brothers. For instance, if you need to know how to NOT start up a Model A that has been sitting for 14 years....I am your guy!

Listening to varied thoughts and gleaning out the information you want and can use is by my estimation the best way. Sure I'll listen to the builder and do what he says but why shouldn't I ask and receive comments from those vastly more experienced than myself in an open forum as it is intended?

In my humble opinion pink birds have red asses!
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
leo

Exclamation Re: How do you break-in a new rebuild?

Hey guys....warranty??? I had my engine rebuilt over twenty years ago by Pioneer Valley Model A. The restoration just got completed not too long ago (yeah I move kinda slow). That aside, I did not get any break in information from the rebuilder nor did I think to ask about it. So, for us non-warranty types.....please enlighten.......
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
J Franklin

Start it stop it after a couple minutes 4 or 5 times at first, then run it a bit longer the next few times and re-torque the head and snug the manifold. then drive it with varying speeds slowly for the first couple of hundred miles (under 40 MPH). Recheck head and manifold and most everything else, then drive it conservatively the next few hundred miles. Change the oil after the first few hundred miles. Don't let it overheat. If you think this is too much care just read the owners manual and follow those guidelines.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
Tom F OHIO

I agree with iroryjohn that if you don't have a good answer for a question, then just keep reading on and dont chime in.
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:55 AM   #11
leo

Question Re: How do you break-in a new rebuild?

Thanks for the information on break in for us rebuilder unknown types. One more question about rechecking the head and manifold, should it be done with the engine hot or cold?
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:59 AM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Thanks for the information on break in for us rebuilder unknown types. One more question about rechecking the head and manifold, should it be done with the engine hot or cold?
If you are asking about the "torque" of the head & manifold nuts, do them cold after the engine has been run up to full operating temps.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:50 AM   #13
Merc Cruzer

As to following the recommendations of your builder, I am the builder (first flathead...not first engine). I get the feeling that the inquiries are from owners of older engines (30’s and 40’s). I am just completing a 1953 Mercury engine (stock rebuild except for the .60 over pistons). Does the 35 to 40 MPH start and stop still hold for this engine too? I have been told locally (the machine shop) that they recommend I take it out on the highway and get it up to speed (55) and then back down to 20. Repeat this process at least 5 times and you are good to go.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
J Franklin

I guess careful break-in of an engine boils down to what the builder deems appropriate to maintain his warranty, plus how long you want it to last until the next rebuild. I had a racing engine last 6 whole months until it needed refreshing.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote