Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #1
31steve

Default Micthell OD shifter help needed

I wondered if anyone else has done this and can share some info. I have a 31 roadster with a "B" four cyl engine and transmission and a Mitchell OD installed. I would like to use the stick shifter and not the cable but the B transmission is one inch wider than the A at the top bolt pattern and a different bolt pattern too. I can make it work except for two issues. The Shift lever bracket sits higher on the B transmission which causes the linkage to rub the crossmember and the extra width of the transmission causes the shift bracket to sit too far left and in the way of the brake pedal linkage. Has anyone ever done a modification to make this work or am I stuck with the cable shift. I called Mitchell MFG two days ago and left a message but they haven't returned my call yet. If anyone is using the cable shifter I would like to know how you like it? Thanks for the help, Steve
31steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
larrys40

Default Re: Micthell OD shifter help needed

Steve
I've put in several of the Mitchell's but not on a B
I would think a little ingenuity and maybe and "L" bracket to offset may do the trick . The splines on their shifter makes it easy to locate for convenience . Being they offer then for the v8 years they may have a bracket mod or idea .
They are always busy, so keep trying for sue Mitchell or someone else

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
Joop

I will go first on the cable

In my Model A I did not want to cut-up my nice carpet so installed the Cable and I LOVE it.

Below is the link when I put it in.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...itchell&page=2
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
2manycars

I have installed a few Mitchel overdrives, and like the way they work, but the shifter lever is an eye sore and is sorta in the way. I have not tried the cable, but suspect it might be awkward to move the hand from the shifter to the cable handle. I have often thought of using a linear motor to do the shifting, with a switch on the transmission lever. I was thinking of ways to use micro switches to stop the movement at the end of the travel, but also thought of making the linkage so that when the linear motor came to the end of it's travel, the shifting would be complete. I did not come up with a solution on shifting the overdrive to neutral.
I really woulld like a Laycock overdrive, but I dont know where one could be bought.
I have that in one of my MGBs and it works well.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #5
Synchro909

I have 2 Model As imported from the US. Each was fitted with a Mitchell when I bought them. The shift lever sits right behind the driver's knee after conversion to RHD so I contacted Mitchell about a kits to convert to cable. Very helpful people but the price was WAAAYYY over the top. It's a real PITA but I gur=ess I will just have to put up with it.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #6
daveymc29

I had the extra lever in my roadster and it seemed to always be in the way. I got the cable set up and am well pleased. I was used to having a push pull from my days driving the 19 wheeler's. The Mitchell cable might not look as good as it could if it didn't have the large aluminum braces to secure it to your tranny's shift lever, but it works well and takes up less space than the extra shift lever. I love it for long lights, shit into first, put the cable shift into neutral, release the clutch and wait. When the light changes, step on the clutch, push down on the cable and let the clutch out, you're on your way.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:11 PM   #7
Bruce,Upstate NY

I would think it would be pretty difficult to split shift with a cable. (For hilly country)
Bruce,Upstate NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:55 PM   #8
TerryH

I've had a Mitchell in my Town Sedan for over 8 years, and can't understand why the shift lever is in the way of anything, unless you are having 3 sit in the front seat.....which I never do anyway.....
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:55 PM   #9
Tom Endy

I have a Ryan overdrive in my Victoria that shifts exactly like a Mitchell overdrive. The Ryan has a very simple shifting device that attaches to the left side of the transmission. I cut the lever off so it is much shorter and adjusted it so that it is close to the seat bottom and since it is on the left side of the transmission it is close to me and almost unseen and certainly not in the way.

You could easily remove the Mitchell shifter and replace it with a much simpler home fabricated shifting device. All it takes is a section of angle iron bolted to the left side of the transmission tower with a lever fabricated to pivot from the vertical potion of the angle iron. You can use the Mitchell rod that goes from the shifter to the overdrive transmission housing.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:43 AM   #10
Dodge

I have installed a few also. I did one in a 1934 Ford and I bet the bracket for the V-8 is
the same as the one for the Model B trans. Keep trying Mitchell, they are very helpful.
They might even exchange it for you.
Maybe they are away.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:59 AM   #11
31steve

Thanks everyone, I'll keep trying Mitchell and let you know how things turn out! Steve
31steve is offline   Reply With Quote