Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Minn-Tex Lee

Default Just a little rant

I don't know about you folks , but I really get peaved when trying to trouble shoot an electrical problem and get mis-led by faulty test equipment. This time it was my volt meter lead open.
The connection they use currently pushes a barb into and thru the insulation in hopes of a connection. This seems to work for a while and then the connection is lost.
A good rainy day project for anyone with a little time on his hands would be to take every test lead, allagetor clamp and any other electrical connector and solder each end so as to not get fooled by an open circuit again.
This also goes for those connectors on your car-hauler.
Thanks for listening.
Lee
Minn-Tex Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Just a little rant

I've never had a lot of luck using the "needle" method - like you it seems the needle contact is specious at best, and misleading at it's worst.

Plus you penetrate the insulation and leave a hole - a hole waiting to suck up moisture and ground or corrode your wire.

Best is alligator clips and a reliable VOM. The red plastic Harbor Freight meters are frequently on sale for less than $5, and while I wouldn't trust the ohm-meter part for specific readings (it doesn't even have a zero) its good enough for continuity.

And when you fubar the meter by putting the switch on the wrong scale, you're not out much money.

Joe K
Old 09-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Roadster62

Another reason to die without knowing how electricity works, you guys know how the stuff works, think about how it effects the clueless. Bob
Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

About 6 months ago I had to fix the female socket on one of my meters, as the wire broke right at the socket. Yes, it can leave you scratching your head for a bit when trying to test something, and things just aren't adding up.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Rusty Homestead Fl

Same here Tom. I used a Triplet VOM analog meter for 42 years with Ma Bell. Great little meter but every now and then the test lead wires would break inside the insulation from excessive flexing. You couldn't see the "open" until you stretched the test lead and saw the weak section. I chased non existent troubles with a defective meter more than once. lol
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
MrTube

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
This is why I tell friends to buy good test equipment. I use a Fluke 179 and a Simpson 260 7P. Both are well over $200 each but come with quality test leads and connections.

Now I realize, I use my meters constantly not just for occasional troubleshooting on the "A", but you do get what you pay for. Price aside, I also keep all connections clean with Deoxit contact cleaner. Don't bother with other junk as it usually doesn't work.

I also recommend when you grab a multimeter always set it to ohms and short the leads. You should get almost a 0 ohm reading even if you move the leads around in the meter sockets. Then you know your leads are good to go and the meter is responding. If the meter jumps around when you twist the plugs in the sockets on the meter then fix it. Don't just twist them around until they seem to work, you'll end up sorry later.

Deoxit D5 : http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S6-Deox...eywords=deoxit

They also have a formula which is designed for protecting contacts, comes in handy on the "A".
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...89202644&SID=1

Last edited by MrTube; 09-04-2013 at 09:00 PM.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
This is why I tell friends to buy good test equipment. I use a Fluke 179 and a Simpson 260 7P. Both are well over $200 each but come with quality test leads and connections.

Now I realize, I use my meters constantly not just for occasional troubleshooting on the "A", but you do get what you pay for. Price aside, I also keep all connections clean with Deoxit contact cleaner. Don't bother with other junk as it usually doesn't work.

I also recommend when you grab a multimeter always set it to ohms and short the leads. You should get almost a 0 ohm reading even if you move the leads around in the meter sockets. Then you know your leads are good to go and the meter is responding. If the meter jumps around when you twist the plugs in the sockets on the meter then fix it. Don't just twist them around until they seem to work, you'll end up sorry later.

Deoxit D5 : http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S6-Deox...eywords=deoxit

They also have a formula which is designed for protecting contacts, comes in handy on the "A".
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...89202644&SID=1
Ding ding ding! AS one who deals with electrical troubleshooting in a factory (anythign from 5vdc signal wires to 600V ac and DC VERY important to have quality test equipment. i have a fluke 233 meter and every time i turn it on and im measuring something i turn it to ohms touch leads together and make sure it goes to zero. If i am testing 230 480 or 600V i always find a known hot 110V outlet and test its voltage to make sure the meter is reading correctly before touching the higher voltages. I dont ever want to believe the 600V is dead due to faulty meter readings and i go to touch it.

I have had broken meter leads before and instead of trying to fix them as the other is likely going to die soon i throw em out and get new ones (company pays for replacement leads).

Only once have i gotten lost on a faulty meter. Meter i had before this one was an off brand and i was measuring 110Vac output card and it was only showing 14Vac... thinking i had a bad output card i took a step back and thought a minute about the situation of where the heck is 14V coming from??? tested with a friends meter and his showed 110 like its supposed to. Hate breaking tools but that meter pissed me off and rather not get killed so i broke it and threw it away so noone else can go trash hunting and find it and get hurt.

i have more than my fair shre of those free with coupon harbor freight meters - while not the best they are useful to keep in a car toolbox. voltages are pretty accurate ive found (at least with car related stuff - not trusting for 110Vac) meter aint great but can at least tell you about blown fuses, open wires, shorted wires, stuck points, stuck relays, open condensers, shorted condensers, power to headlight sockets etc.

PS i love Tweco brand contact grease, meant for welding applications where a weld ground needs to rotate so its electrically conductive grease - works GREAT for keeping corrosion and water off grounds on a vehicle and those 1/4" spade conductors. it increases the conductivity a heck of alot.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #8
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Plus Harbor Freight gives the VOM away for free quite often when you buy something. I think I have a couple of them around here plus a good one out in the shop.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
Purdy Swoft

I've never seen that I needed one for the model A. My growler also has a continuity tester that I use when doing generators, starters and testing horn and light switch rods works for me. I've got a Harbor freight tester in the tool box that I never use.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
whirnot

I just always test the meter first. ben there, done that.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Anyone that has ever used test equipment for more than a week or two has had that happen to them. Don't believe them if they say different.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Anyone that has ever used test equipment for more than a week or two has had that happen to them. Don't believe them if they say different.
Have I had test equipment fail? Of course, but not to the point where I ended up wasting more than a minute because of it unless I'm forgetting something.

I don't know the last time, if ever that I had a bad connection to a multimeter.

Quality test leads and deoxit.

However perhaps my intent behind the original posting was not understood. The point wasn't to say "haha you're a fool that doesn't happen to me". The intent was to try and stop or at least limit how many times it happens to others.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
Boston Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Homestead Fl View Post
Same here Tom. I used a Triplet VOM analog meter for 42 years with Ma Bell. Great little meter.
You can find these meters on the used market. They are still great.
Boston Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
aford193031

As a safety precaution at the plant, we replace the electricians meter leads annually.
aford193031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aford193031 View Post
As a safety precaution at the plant, we replace the electricians meter leads annually.
i wish we did... hence why when i find a flaw with mine i get new ones out of our stores system