Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #1
fredski53

Default Grease gun (compressor)

Ok, here is the deal. I've used a grease gun before, but I don't understand this compressor thing! I bought a used " compressor" (grease gun) to grease the original fittings on my car. Some fittings have been changed to the modern type, some are the original ones. In the Model A Instruction Book, page 15, it tell how to operate the Compressor. The compressor I have only seems to discharge grease when the handle pulled back and then pumped forward. The book says when the compressor is pressed against the fitting, the plunger moves forward, forcing the lube in the nozzle directly through the fitting. When the pressure on the handle is released, grasp the barrel of the compressor with one hand and draw back the handle with the other hand, so as to load the compressor and make it ready to deliver a charge of lube with the next forward thrust.
Now, just what are you "thrusting forward". The barrel of the compressor or the handle?! It seems to me, you just hold the compressor firmly against the fitting, and pump the handle in and out forcing the lube into the fitting! Am I overthinking this?
fredski53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:00 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Grease gun (compressor)

I assume an original gun?

The nose of the gun is a hollow tube. The plunger has a "pin" for lack of a better word that slides into the tube pressing the grease in the nose tube out of the gun. Pulling the handle back removes the pin and allows the grease access to the hole. When you start the handle moving forward the plate pushes the grease into the hole and the pin applies force so it exits the gun with pressure.

Does it have a patent number on it something like 1,711,777?

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 05-06-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
Growley bear

I found that using one of the original grease guns helped me to understand how it was done in the Early days. However I also found that after using a more modern grease gun for over half a century I didn't care for the giant leap back in time. They will do the job, and if that is all a person has; it is just a different technique.
I use the original for display and my modern hand operated guns for the serious work. I have a mix of fittings too and have two guns with the proper tips attached.

Last edited by Growley bear; 05-08-2018 at 08:05 AM. Reason: change text
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
burner31

Grease guns
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote