Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #1
alt63bird

Default 1969 MPC Section 60 Engine ID Pages

Time to ask a favor of those who have collections of Master Parts Catalogs (Kultulz comes to mind first). I'm currently researching engine ID code numbers and applicable model lines that engines went into for mid-'60s through 1979 Fords/Lincolns/Mercurys/Trucks.

For the record, I have a reprint copy of the '68 MPC which has this info from Change No. 36 issued in August 1968.

I have an original copy of the Master Parts Catalog (MPC) circa 1968-69, and in Section 60 - Engines it has pages at the beginning with a 3-page listing (pages 1, 2 & 3) from Change #1 with the engine ID codes but no model line usage, and continues on pages 4 through 8 listing car lines and what engines were installed by the engine tag code number and warranty/data plate code. The copy I have does not include Full-size Fords (A) and the beginning of Mid-size/Fairlanes (B). What's odd is that page 3 has the engine code list, but is blank on its back side (i.e. page 4), and then on page 5 has the tail end of the B-section including 427s. What I'm trying to find are the pages prior to page 5 with full-size Ford (A) and the rest of the mid-size Ford (B) listings. The pages 5-8 I have are from Change No. 37-October 1968, so someone changed out the prior pages 1-4 from the first issue of the revised MPC or its first revision (Change No. 1).

The '69 MPC dropped out '64-earlier info as the "Blue Bible" 2-volume bound set was issued sometime during 1969 to contain this info and purge out old info for items no longer being stocked in Ford's parts distribution system. What I'm dealing with here is the cross-over period when the '64-prior material was purged.

Anyone got a copy showing full- and mid-size engine applications from Change No. 37 or 38 (if one was issued) to help me fill in the blanks?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190707_100409182.jpg (36.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190707_100431246.jpg (44.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190707_100540833.jpg (42.0 KB, 9 views)
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
KULTULZ

Question Re: 1969 MPC Section 60 Engine ID Pages

What you are describing is your have a loose leaf catalog?

This cataloging was updated every quarter by using inserts/page replacements. You would sit there after closing and go through the process. There was included a master list as to what pages were to be replaced. The replaced pages went into the circular file usually.

FORD then went to a fiche system and few dealers paid the extra to keep the loose leaf system up as FINAL ISSUE MPC was released on fiche also. Well, actually, the fiche itself was updated on a quarterly basis also and most often, the older fiche was not kept.

BTW- Sometime back you asked about the fifties engine ID codes. I think I have broken that as I never came across the proper description of that period.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
alt63bird

Default Re: 1969 MPC Section 60 Engine ID Pages

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
What you are describing is your have a loose leaf catalog?
BINGO! Loose-leaf format with the big-azz expanding binder.

And, yes, still trying to find codes for engine assemblies pre-'64 that were used on the cardboard/fiberboard ID tags.

Part of what I'm trying to do is put together a comprehensive listing by the engine ID number code with data plate code, carburetor and transmission installed and other "restrictive" information, i.e. did it have Thermactor/Imco emissions reduction on post-'65 engines, and expand this information for post-'69 listings as the '65-'72 and later MPCs are lacking some of the descriptive information that would have resulted in an engine getting a unique code number. And after going through the '73-'79 Car/L-M/Truck lists, my eyes need a rest.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:40 AM   #4
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1969 MPC Section 60 Engine ID Pages

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt63bird View Post

BINGO! Loose-leaf format with the big-azz expanding binder.

And, yes, still trying to find codes for engine assemblies pre-'64 that were used on the cardboard/fiberboard ID tags.

Part of what I'm trying to do is put together a comprehensive listing by the engine ID number code with data plate code, carburetor and transmission installed and other "restrictive" information, i.e. did it have

Thermactor/Imco emissions reduction on post-'65 engines, and expand this information for post-'69 listings as the '65-'72 and later MPCs are lacking some of the descriptive information that would have resulted in an engine getting a unique code number. And after going through the '73-'79 Car/L-M/Truck lists, my eyes need a rest.
It sounds to me as if your MPC did not have the inserts changed correctly. All it took was one mistake and any changes after that would only compound the problem.

As for Engine Codes (Patent Plate), the MPC (Final Issue) should have that needed info. It may be that the cardboard tags you are describing of course fell off during service but you need the info as to possibly repro the tags?

Exactly what period(s) are you seeking? Maybe I can stumble across the info.

MPC FINAL ISSUES-

49/59
60/64
65/72
73/79
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine ID Tag.jpg (48.7 KB, 3 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 07-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #5
alt63bird

Quote:
It sounds to me as if your MPC did not have the inserts changed correctly. All it took was one mistake and any changes after that would only compound the problem.

As for Engine Codes (Patent Plate), the MPC (Final Issue) should have that needed info. It may be that the cardboard tags you are describing of course fell off during service but you need the info as to possibly repro the tags?

Exactly what period(s) are you seeking? Maybe I can stumble across the info.

MPC FINAL ISSUES-

49/59
60/64
65/72
73/79
I'm seeking pre-'64 ID codes. The "Blue Bibles" from '49-'59 and '60-'64 are for the most part lacking in the Engine Tag ID number department - the exception being '60-'64, which picks up the label numbers used starting Jan-Feb '64. Prior to then, aside from examples found on unrestored/low-mileage cars that I've been able to catalog (and it's not that many, BTW), all I've been able to find have been number in pricing catalogs, which have suffixes following the basic number for engine assemblies.

For the uneducated, each number relates to a specific combination of engine size/family-HP/compression rating-carburetion/induction-transmission, and can even denote what model line it may have been installed in. This is part of the challenge - attempting to figure out, for instance, what the code would have been for a '55 Fairlane with 272/Holley 2-barrel/Ford-O-Matic.

There was a posting a few months ago with engine tag ID numbers for '56-'57 Mercurys that came from a Mercury service bulletin, but I have yet to find a similar listing for Ford/Ford Truck engines in the TSBs and PSLs/MSLs I have in my collection.

As a follow-up, the listing of just the engine ID numbers/warranty plate codes in my loose-leaf original were from Change No. 1 in October 1969, while the remainder of pages were from Change #36 (?) in August 1968. Like I mentioned, I probably have the bits and pieces from the '68 reprint to fill in the blanks, but I always prefer having the original pages/listings to compare against since Ford dropped items during the interim (with the ID codes, probably not so much).
Old 07-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: 1969 MPC Section 60 Engine ID Pages

Quote:
I'm seeking pre-'64 ID codes. The "Blue Bibles" from '49-'59 and '60-'64 are for the most part lacking in the Engine Tag ID number department - the exception being '60-'64, which picks up the label numbers used starting Jan-Feb '64. Prior to then, aside from examples found on unrestored/low-mileage cars that I've been able to catalog (and it's not that many, BTW), all I've been able to find have been number in pricing catalogs, which have suffixes following the basic number for engine assemblies.

OK... I see where you are coming from now. FORD did not METAL TAG engines until JAN 64. That's where you are hitting a brick wall.

Previous was the cardboard tags and as I remember there was not that much assembly detail given. If any, it would most likely be found in the PRODUCT SERVICE LETTERS of the period. It wasn't in the MPC - CHASSIS catalogs of the period.

THE MPC (loose leaf or bound) was broken down in the 1969 model year. 1960/64 FINAL ISSUE (bound) and the cataloging then went from 1965 up until it was also cut off on the 72 model year and the cataloging picked up again 1973/. You have stumbled across an original 1960/68 loose leaf catalog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1960-68 FORD MPC TEXT Cat.jpg (14.2 KB, 0 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 07-08-2019, 05:17 PM   #7
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: 1969 MPC Section 60 Engine ID Pages

Quote:
There was a posting a few months ago with engine tag ID numbers for '56-'57 Mercurys that came from a Mercury service bulletin, but I have yet to find a similar listing for Ford/Ford Truck engines in the TSBs and PSLs/MSLs I have in my collection.

Is there any possibility of you flat scanning that letter and downloading it here (Manage Attachments)?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 07-08-2019, 11:24 PM   #8
alt63bird

I want to think oldmics or dmfssr (?) posted the '57 Merc ID code numbers in late Feburary-early March of 2019 from a Mercury service bulletin, with descriptions of what each code referred to re. carb/trans, whether it had a booster fan or tachometer, but darned if I can find them in doing a search. I copied them and put them into a spreadsheet hoping to compare against known Ford engine code numbers from the period or start pulling a list together. Just wish there was a similar source for Ford/Ford Truck engines, but again I haven't found such lists in the PSLs/MSLs/TSBs in my collection.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:01 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Question Re: 1969 MPC Section 60 Engine ID Pages

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt63bird View Post

... '57 Merc ID code numbers in late Feburary-early March of 2019 from a Mercury service bulletin, with descriptions of what each code referred to re. carb/trans, whether it had a booster fan or tachometer, but darned if I can find them in doing a search. I copied them and put them into a spreadsheet ...
Was this info posted on this FORUM? The SEARCH FEATURE here is not very good.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 07-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #10
alt63bird

Quote:
Was this info posted on this FORUM? The SEARCH FEATURE here is not very good.
YES - was posted sometime before early March '19. Person uploaded a copy of the '57 Mercury Service Bulletin with the codes and application information as noted above (i.e. type of carburetion and transmission, if it had a tachometer, horsepower rating. I didn't download/copy the attachment.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:17 AM   #11
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1969 MPC Section 60 Engine ID Pages

The information is out there somewhere-

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...t=1957+MERCURY

https://www.faxonautoliterature.com/...al-P29671.aspx

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 07-11-2019 at 02:28 AM.