Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2017, 07:49 PM   #21
gmanrides

Default Re: Any ideas? Still Rich!

Oops on the distributor! Well it looks good. I'm swapping the jets now. I originally had 43's in it. But being a weekend warrior I noticed after a month of weekend driving I would have to change the plugs so that is when I went to the 42's. Th float issue must have become progressively worse since I was able to detect the sweet aroma from the exhaust and plug fouling became worse by a lot. The Summit reg had good reviews so I went with it but not too concerned by fuel pressure at this point. Bet I keep a close eye on it though!
gmanrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #22
gmanrides

On the top idle port in the base where should the throttle plates be in relation to the port at idle, above, below, even? Thanks Gary
Old 02-03-2017, 07:26 AM   #23
Bored&Stroked

Get a good low-pressure fuel regulator - I'd use Holley. I'm not sure what you're asking up above? Did I read correctly that your fuel level is/was about 1/2" down from the top of the base (with top off)? If so, that is too low. You need to make sure you're getting plenty of fuel into the accel pumps.

I usually end up with fuel about 1/4" down from the top (with tops off) - the float itself is pretty much level. You probably will need bigger jets and power valves - once you're sure the float/fuel levels are holding.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #24
glennpm

Hi gmanrides,

Regarding your comment,

"Hmmm, installed pressure regulator which say it adjust from 1-4 ps. Never could achieve 1-1.5 psi even had adjuster screw all the way out hovers around 2 psi".

I have the same regulator and the same experience as you. I have two 97's so the 2.5 psi is good for me but the screw is almost all the way out. I have an electric fuel pump which puts out 4-7 psi. I don't know if this will decrease a little with the engine idling but probably not.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #25
gmanrides

Bored & Stroked, The Stromberg manual says 15/32-17/32 on fuel level. I split the difference at 16/32 or 1/2". Even some of the diagrams show 15/32-1/2". I put some .043's in last night and will run it some time after work. Did'nt want to disturb neighbors last night.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #26
gmanrides

Glenn, I know what you mean. The Holley fuel pump I'm using has a range 1.5-4 psi and you would think you could achieve that number 1.5-2 psi with that regulator. I honestly think it will be fine as long as it doesnt get above 3 psi.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #27
Terry,OH

If the main jets are tightened too much the small holes at the upper end of the emulsion tube can be distorted and wind up not round holes. This distortion will partly close the holes. You can usually see this damage but pushing a number drill of the correct size through the hole will also detect the closed hole. I believe all the small holes are the same size. If I remember correctly on the EE-1 base The small top idle holes are above the closed idle throttle plates. NGK B5 ES is also a good plug.
On my car main jets that were too small caused the car to hesitate acceleration under load making it very difficult to accelerate out of a stop. Pulling the choke did make the car accelerate better. Yes changing the pump rod from S to W does make a difference.

Last edited by Terry,OH; 02-03-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #28
gmanrides

Thanks Terry, I am thinking someone must be really applying some torque to squash those puppies. I understand the ports being above the plates when closed and you can see that. Once the idle is set my plates are above or even with the plates hard to see looking down in throat. Only way to tell for sure is take them off and flip them over, but just curious. Thanks Gary
Old 02-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #29
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I have not seen air cleaners mentioned yet; Small chrome air cleaners are frequently very restrictive, acting essentially as chokes. If richness continues give the thing a short ride without air cleaners and see what happens. Unless you live in the dust bowl, a little unfiltered drive won't hurt anything. Driving rich WILL hurt things, sometimes with surprisingly little distance driven.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #30
gmanrides

Thanks Bruce, I am testing now without air cleaners. I do have the OTB Gear 4150's on there and expensive little dudes. The filter itself is 4x2.5 and the element doesn't seem to be restrictive but nonetheless I have them off. Thanks again Gary
Old 02-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #31
Andy

10-4 on the air filters. Ford called them silencers and they were really not filters until later. A 97 does not vent thru the carb. It vents thru the hole for the accelerator pump linkage and so a restricted air filter really riches them up.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote