Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2020, 07:43 PM   #21
wwirz

Default Re: Will turn over but won't start

I went through the same issue for about 3 weeks. Good news is that I became an expert at timing. Tempted to put a YOUTUBE out there
Here is what I did which led to solving the problem:
1. Checked the timing.....multiple times and double checked locating the "dimple" with the pin and a mirror
2. Made sure all connections at the terminal block were snug and corrosion free
3. Had 6 volts at the terminals and both sides of the coil.
4. Replaced the coil
5. Replaced the condenser even though it was a week old
6. Of course I adjusted the point gap to .020
7. Gapped the rotor to distributor body to .025 all around
8. Made sure I had fuel to the carburetor

Still no start.

I dialed a friend and he said are you sure you are gapped at .020 and do you have fuel? I tried starting on starting fluid...no start. This convinced me I was not getting spark to the plugs....yes I check the spark out of the coil.

Had a buddy come over and sure enough I was not getting spark to the plugs

What it turned out to be was in fact the points. I did not gap them correctly...they were gapped at roughly .028.

Properly gapped at .020, the plugs fired. Re -assembled and the engine started. Good news is that I completely baselined the ignition system. Now I know what was replaced on such and such a date.

Good luck.....I will bet it is the point gap.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:03 PM   #22
31 ford

Thank you all for your suggestions. Come to find out the rotor seems to be the problem along with the old original wire from the lower distributor plate that connects to the upper plate. Now it is starting up and running fine. Thank you all for the help. I really appreciate it.
31 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:16 PM   #23
30 Closed Cab PU

Thanks for letting us know what your found. For being simplified, tthe Model A can be challaging, especially via Internet troubleshooting.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:03 PM   #24
daren007

If you need starting fluid you are doing something wrong.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #25
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
If you need starting fluid you are doing something wrong.

Very true, but is another quick way to know if the issue is fuel or spark. If no pop on starting fluid then it is electrical/ignition. I do it this way with lawn mowers, sometimes is enough to get fuel to draw through the carb and get crap out of the jets. I know the accepted way is to space a spark plug lead, which tells you the same thing. Different strokes for different folks.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:47 PM   #26
Patrick L.

Wanna hear a couple 'starting fluid' stories ?

We had to fire a mechanic when I was young. He started a road service. We got a call for a no-start and when I arrived he was there [ stole the call somehow]. The mouth of the truck was open and he was waving the rosebud along the side of the block, a 318 Detroit, and there was a big ass bottle of 'starting fluid' bolted to the firewall. It was apparent the engine was ether bound. I grabbed the driver by arm and pulled him away just before the side of block let loose. It broke the nitwits arm in 3 places, blew the tire off the rim and I got the honor of taking this jerk to the hospital. I should also say the this jerks father worked for us for years, great mechanic and I learned a lot from him, good man.

Another time my friend called saying his welder won't start. When I got there it was apparent the head gasket was blown the way the engine was spinning over. Just knowing him I asked him how much ether he used. Knowing how much I dislike the stuff he of course said he didn't use any. I looked on the truck seat and there was a king sized can all bright and shiny. I gave him the look, got the engine running on half the cylinders and then had the nice job of changing the head gasket.

These are only two accounts, but, they are the memorial ones. There are a few more. This said, ether can have its place, a small place or small squirt. [smiley face]
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote