Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2018, 04:10 AM   #1
1949mercury

Default 2nd gear OD ?

1949 Mercury 3spd OD ? Just got my Transmission fixed everything was working good only drove it 3 times now 2nd gear OD won’t work. I don’t hear the relay click. Shift into 3rd I lift my foot off gas pedal and it shifts into OD. Go below 28 mph goes into freewheel mode shift down to 2nd no OD but freewheels. Any ideas why 2nd OD won’t work ?
1949mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:15 AM   #2
Greg58

Default Re: 2nd gear OD ?

That's strange, it shouldn't matter what gear the transmission is in when you reach the speed to activate the overdrive. I've only been running o.d. in my car for about 8 months but I haven't had anything like that, maybe someone else has an idea.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #3
Mike51Merc

Are you letting off the gas in second?
There's nothing in the system to prevent it from upshifting the same in second as it does in third. I've even managed to upshift mine in first (once).
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #4
rotorwrench

The governor flyweights activate the on switch at the set output shaft rpm. The operating solenoid should go hot as soon as the on speed allows it. When you let off the throttle the balk ring should allow engagement of the operating pawl. If it doesn't, there may be either something out of place or not functioning as it should. It might not have enough electrical power at lower rpm to kick it in. A lot of things can cause problems on these units. Everything electrical has to be in good condition from the battery to the operating solenoid. Generator output has to be good too.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #5
40cpe

It is a long shot, but perhaps the 2nd gear linkage is "somehow" disturbing the OD harness and a loose connection is interrupting the ground from the governor. I agree with others, there is no good reason for the OD not to work in second gear. At any rate, I would investigate the governor wiring because you do not hear the relay clicking. As a test, run a wire from the governor terminal of the relay inside the car and touch it to a ground while in second.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #6
1949mercury

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Yeah I got it going 30+ then let up on the gas pedal waiting for it to engage in OD and nothing so I shift to 3rd then let up on the gas pedal I feel it shift into OD. I was thinking it was my solenoid. I have a 6 volt solenoid but my system is 12v now. Just seems weird it stopped working in 2nd but not 3rd. If it works in 3rd it should work in second. Maybe a bad ground or wire is loose. Everything is new except the solenoid & governor.
1949mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
[email protected]

You have to really get ripping in second to get the governor points to close, then take your foot of the accelerator momentarily and it will shift.. If it works in third, it will work in second.

Bill in Conn.
patbill@megahits.com is offline   Reply With Quote