Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2018, 07:21 PM   #1
Railcarmover
BANNED

Default Tubbs fire victims

Tubbs fire victims (Santa Rosa)...that whole lot is collector cars..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
Scottio57

Default Re: Tubbs fire victims

Unreal. I’ve heard a lot of collectors do not maintain insurance on their cars. Why would someone do that ? At any rate I feel bad for the owners. It’s hearbreaking to see all those destroyed cars.
Scottio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
loubob

I cannot begin to comprehend their loss.
loubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #4
Bulligen

It looks like the car closest to the camera is a 30 31 Ford !
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #5
Railcarmover
BANNED

A friend sent me those shots,he said they run them over with a dozer so they can stack them higher on the trucks..He's a car guy too,it makes him sick..
Old 01-09-2018, 10:05 PM   #6
KR500

We all know right, Insurance companies are ALL about the money!
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottio57 View Post
Unreal. I’ve heard a lot of collectors do not maintain insurance on their cars. Why would someone do that ? At any rate I feel bad for the owners. It’s hearbreaking to see all those destroyed cars.
Here is the answer to your question. I don't maintain comprehensive insurance on my antique cars. Here is the rationale. The insurance companies know statistically how much loss you are going to incur over the year the policy is in effect. I trust the competence of the people running the calculations but they are basing their calculations on averages. Once they have a number they add to cover their costs and send you a bill. I feel that my cars are less likely to suffer a loss than the average and therefore don't carry comprehensive insurance. If one or more of my cars suffered a loss I could still feed and house my family. Liability insurance is an entirely different story. With todays juries the "sky is the limit". The lawyers and juries can bankrupt you (which may or may not be justified depending on the circumstances of the case). Another good thing about liability insurance is that you will have a team of lawyers from the insurance company handling the case. I probably carry higher limits on my liability insurance than most people. I feel sorry for their loss but they were gambling (just like the lottery) and lost.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
Scottio57

Thanks Charlie. I tend to carry full coverage insurance on everything I own. I’m not a gambling man but I don’t want to over insure either. Still I just hate to see such loss.
Scottio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #9
Railcarmover
BANNED

I'm with Charlie on the actuarial tables,screw the percentages,play the hunch.Nothing gets out of here alive,one day the last model A will be scrapped,just as one day we will die. I consider myself fortunate, I lived during the time of the internal combustion engine,in my case I made a living,raised a family and enjoyed a hobby thanks to its invention and prominence in my time.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:47 PM   #10
daveymc29

A friend from our days in the Oakland CA fire department lost three beautiful T's in the fire in Santa Rosa (Also his home)
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:33 AM   #11
Bikerider58

I often put vehicles in a storage status when I know i won’t be driving or riding it for awhile. Fire and theft only, no liability or collision coverage.

Much cheaper and a quick call turns insurance back on.
Bikerider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:25 AM   #12
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
I'm with Charlie on the actuarial tables,screw the percentages,play the hunch.Nothing gets out of here alive,one day the last model A will be scrapped,just as one day we will die. I consider myself fortunate, I lived during the time of the internal combustion engine,in my case I made a living,raised a family and enjoyed a hobby thanks to its invention and prominence in my time.
Yep, I think the baby boomers or around this era born after WW2, have had the most diverse life ever of all who have come before and will come after.

We have lived pre TV, to kick or hit a ball outside for fun after school.

We have seen the space race and the advent of electronics .

We have (mostly) owned and driven muscle cars of the 60/s.

We have learned computers ourselves and found a whole new oustside world.

And if we live long enough, we will see the banning of internal combustion engines

A 90 year period in history in which again will never see so many changes in lifestyle.

pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:55 AM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR500 View Post
We all know right, Insurance companies are ALL about the money!
Yep, and for only $19 a month you can help feed these starving insurance companies. $19 a month, that's only 66 cents a day to feed and keep another insurance company alive.

In Minnesota we have 6 months of winter and road salt, so at best my antique car can only be out 6 months, but of those 6 months another 3 months are gone due to rain and bad weather, so even if I had the free time, the best I could do is drive my antique cars 90 days a year. $200 for insurance to drive 90 days (which I don't even come close to doing) is a rip off.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #14
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Yep, I think the baby boomers or around this era born after WW2, have had the most diverse life ever of all who have come before and will come after.

We have lived pre TV, to kick or hit a ball outside for fun after school.

We have seen the space race and the advent of electronics .

We have (mostly) owned and driven muscle cars of the 60/s.

We have learned computers ourselves and found a whole new oustside world.

And if we live long enough, we will see the banning of internal combustion engines

A 90 year period in history in which again will never see so many changes in lifestyle.

The Chinese have a saying: "to live in interesting times" we have accomplished that..

I'm with Tom on the insurance companies,they produce nothing,their end product is to distill life into mathematics.They will tell you they coolly develop actuarial tables,hard numbers that show their actual risk.But don't forget humans run insurance companies,a human knows the emotional aspects of collecting cars,there is no doubt they prey on that too,that the actuarial table get a little 'spike' from some executive "cause they love their cars,they'll pay more"...nothing more than lawyers with a calculator..