Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
al's28/33

Default Gas Tank date stamping

Has anyone ever tried date stamping the '28-'29 gas tank to see what it would look like ? I

I was thinking of positioning a wood block of 2x4 inside between the firewall and gas tank and stamping the numbers. I have a set that are similar in size (which are smaller than the engine stamps).

Just curious to know if anyone has done it and what results you found ?
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Gas Tank date stamping

You'd need to use a heavy steel backing plate for a buck. I have a 1" x 6" x 15" steel plate.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:29 AM   #3
jw hash

I second what Tom said, it works better with two people or if the tank is out C clamp the steel bucking bar to the under side of the tank.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
100IH

The "has anyone ever" question just may have struck Gold. Now I can imagine stamping kits with the correct font becoming available in the near future. I guess it beats searching the swap meets with the correct date. Honestly. I have thought about doing this myself. Half of the numbers are upside down or on their side.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100IH View Post
The "has anyone ever" question just may have struck Gold. Now I can imagine stamping kits with the correct font becoming available in the near future. I guess it beats searching the swap meets with the correct date. Honestly. I have thought about doing this myself. Half of the numbers are upside down or on their side.
By "correct date"...what exactly do you mean?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #6
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
Has anyone ever tried date stamping the '28-'29 gas tank to see what it would look like ? I

I was thinking of positioning a wood block of 2x4 inside between the firewall and gas tank and stamping the numbers. I have a set that are similar in size (which are smaller than the engine stamps).

Just curious to know if anyone has done it and what results you found ?
"Just curious"...Why would you want to do this anyway?

Pluck
Old 02-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
wrndln

Steve,
I can think of a reason he might want to stamp a date on a gas tank - replacing a rusted out, damaged or otherwise unusable gas tank. In fact I did the same thing, as the gas tank in my 28 special coupe had the steering column support bracket missing when I bought it. I did what Tom W. posted above. I found some nearly identical stamps, after several attempts on eBay, to stamp the gas tank. Since I was restoring my car like original, I didn't want to try to repair the leaking missing bracket area, trying somehow to install a replacement steering column bracket on the gas tank or use the later 30/31 under dash bracket.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #8
100IH

Correct date would be one that fit the pieces of the/a car that came as a basket case. Also to replace a tank rusted beyond use. Personally I wouldn't bother, some might. Why, exactly would you ask. The long list of things that a restorer might do that could be judged by some a bad thing such as another engine, hydraulic brakes, so many things certainly adding a test date on the tank would be at the bottom of the list. Not everyone is a restorer, many prefer touring or modified. The way things are today even restoration is ,out of necessity, reproducing a non detectable,original recreation, hence the correct font stamp dies - mostly in jest.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100IH View Post
Correct date would be one that fit the pieces of the/a car that came as a basket case. Also to replace a tank rusted beyond use. Personally I wouldn't bother, some might. Why, exactly would you ask. The long list of things that a restorer might do that could be judged by some a bad thing such as another engine, hydraulic brakes, so many things certainly adding a test date on the tank would be at the bottom of the list. Not everyone is a restorer, many prefer touring or modified. The way things are today even restoration is ,out of necessity, reproducing a non detectable,original recreation, hence the correct font stamp dies - mostly in jest.
Just wanted to clarify your reasoning for doing so...any thing wrong with that?

Pluck
Old 02-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #10
al's28/33

I had found a date stamped tank on ebay back in 2001 that was 6-10-28 and kept it for the longest time thinking I would use it for a restoration "some day".

I ended up selling it because it took too much space and I needed to fund another project and have regretted it ever since.

The tank on my Phaeton has nothing wrong with it, but alas no date stamp. My car was born from generations of previous owners assembling miss-matched fenders, wheels, engine parts and gallons of bondo. In the 17 years I have owned the car I have been thinking "what if" I date stamped my own tank.

In that same 17 year period I have rebuilt and replaced most everything I could have to own a "Rolling-Correct Mostly 1928 than '29, '30 or '31 Model "A" Ford"

That was the reason for my question if anyone had tried it.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:46 PM   #11
redmodelt

I do not think all tanks were date stamped in that time frame have see a number that were not. The stamp has to do with gas tank testing not car built.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #12
100IH

Steve, nothing wrong at all. I have been thinking that that might be a good place to put the serial number. Reason being that law enforcement usually expects to find one somewhere under the hood and the engine # is so often not agreeing with the chassis #. Additionally, my idea of what the correct date would be is derived from studying the rest. guidelines and your great research articles. I am always advising folks on the forum here to invest in their library and to use the search function.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #13
Steve Plucker
BANNED

100IH,

Yes...I would hate to see a 1928 tank stamped with a 1929 date stamp...that would really screw someones mind up in 20-30 years from now!

Pluck