Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #21
SPEC

Default Re: Zinc Additive for 6 Cylinder??

Lucas Hot Rod oil is designed for flat tappet engines and is easy to find.
SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #22
bobioknight

I followed gilsgarage recommendation, I am also using the diesel oil in my 57, I do notice when the engine is cold, my oil pressure is higher than when I was using standard oil. I also use a lead additive in the fuel.
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:38 PM   #23
greenpondmike

My 71 6cyl was almost ruint by that reduced zddp oil. I believed what "others" were saying about if the engine is stock and has stock springs, then I wouldn't have to be careful about getting an oil with higher zddp amounts.
Well, the modern oil failed me.
Now I use diesel oil again with a zddp additive and I also put a little bit of 2 stroke oil in my gas--works better than marvel mystery oil. My engine is smoothe and has good throttle response.
On older oils, the first motor oil was rated SA and had no zddp, but then they came out with the SB rating and 400ppm of zddp and with no detergent in the oil to hinder it, that zddp went a long way. You can still get SA and SB non detergent oil, but you just need to be careful to get the SB rating for good antiwear protection. I use detergent oil myself, but won't hesitate to use ND oil in a old unmaintained vehicle to keep it going until a complete teardown can be done and also in a lawn mower.
Just my $0.02 again. --can't help it because I don't want anyone to ruin their engine. Zddp can't hurt an old engine and really not even a new one (just the cat converters) because it is coming out now that the modern engines need more protection and the manufacturers are having oil companies come out with a oil with better wear protection. A new classification of oil is coming soon.-THEN we'll see how that goes.
The only way zddp can really hurt a modern engine is by blowing a head gasket if the cat stops up.
Peace to everyone...

Last edited by greenpondmike; 09-09-2020 at 07:44 PM.
greenpondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #24
Aarongriffey

The number of cylinders has nothing to do with the flat tappers wearing out the cam and lifters.
I’ve replaced cams and liters in several 4 cylinder cars. All were push rod engines.
You can keep believing that the zinc scare is just to get your money if you want.
About 15 years ago, before the no zinc scare, a guy her in Oakland picked up his rebuilt 350 Chev engine from the machine shop, took it home and let it set on his garage floor until about 6 years ago.
When he finally got around to finishing the job he claims it lasted 20 minutes before it got noises and running rough.
I saw the cam and lifters after he brought the engine back and the machine shop tore it down.
One cam lobe and it’s lifter we’re so bad the valve was no longer opening.
The owner said he never heard about the no sink danger. When he picked up the engine some years earlier the machinist didn’t know time would come when there would not be sink in the oil.
Supposedly after break in sink is not required, but last year I replaced cam and lifters in 350 Chev pickup that had around 80,000 miles on it. Every cam lobe was worn down and the liters were all scored.
The last one I did was about 6 months ago, an MGB, the owner says he always uses the additive. Each lobe was worn down .030” on the high spots and only one lifter was slightly pitted.
In the past 5 years I’ve seen more cars with a lobe or gone completely than I ever saw in the first 60 years of doing that kind of work.
You guys that think it’s all BS, keep thinking it, I need the money.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #25
Aarongriffey

The number of cylinders has nothing to do with the flat tappets wearing out the cam and lifters.
I’ve replaced cams and liters in several 4 cylinder cars. All were push rod engines.
You can keep believing that the zinc scare is just to get your money if you want.
About 15 years ago, before the no zinc scare, a guy her in Oakland picked up his rebuilt 350 Chev engine from the machine shop, took it home and let it set on his garage floor until about 6 years ago.
When he finally got around to finishing the job he claims it lasted 20 minutes before it got noises and running rough.
I saw the cam and lifters after he brought the engine back and the machine shop tore it down.
One cam lobe and it’s lifter we’re so bad the valve was no longer opening.
The owner said he never heard about the no zink danger. When he picked up the engine some years earlier the machinist didn’t know time would come when there would not be zink in the oil.
Supposedly after break in zink is not required, but last year I replaced cam and lifters in 350 Chev pickup that had around 80,000 miles on it. Every cam lobe was worn down and the liters were all scored.
The last one I did was about 6 months ago, an MGB, the owner says he always uses the additive. Each lobe was worn down .030” on the high spots and only one lifter was slightly pitted.
In the past 5 years I’ve seen more cars with a lobe or gone completely than I ever saw in the first 60 years of doing that kind of work.
You guys that think it’s all BS, keep thinking it, I need the money.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:00 PM   #26
Aarongriffey

Why do you guys use diesel oil? Is it better, cheaper than oil with zink or what?
How do you know it has zink in it?
Are there still engines being built with flat tappets?
The place I worked from 2015 to 2018 we used 15/40 oil in every car or truck that came, no matter it it required 0/20 or roofing tar, they all got 15/40.
Some were older flat tappets cars. Not one ever got a zink additive.
And we never had one come back with worn out cam or lifters.
But I still use either oil with zink in it or the additive in my own stuff and my customer’s flat tappets cars.
Also, does a 6 cylinder Mustang have less valve spring pressure than a V8?
I wouldn’t think so.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:06 PM   #27
Aarongriffey

Since. ‘66 Mustang doesn’t have a catalytic converter I think Marcus should use oil with Zink in it. What could it hurt? That’s what it used when it was new.
Or he could use half of a container of zink additive.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:07 PM   #28
Marcus

Aarongriffey - Thanks for the comments, and I think I previously noted that I run Valvoline VR1 in all the antiques; also in the F150 Supercrew tow vehicle with a HiPo Rousch. Yes, it fast, yes it is over kill, and yes, I don't care. The only toy that doesn't get the VR1 is Margretha's 2019 Lincoln Black Label Nautilus, because it only has 4K miles and is still under warranty. VR1 is pricey, but peace of mind is worth it, to me. Sure makes it easier when time for service arrives: don't have to try to remember which vehicle gets what oil!! By the way, plans to keep the '66 changed, when a collector from Michigan discovered it was totally rust-free ........
Old 09-11-2020, 06:39 PM   #29
greenpondmike

I think if people knew what we know they would be ranting too. I think a lot of people are on edge nowadays though. Govt. in our gas, govt. in our oil and now govt. in our faces with all this foolish face mask requirements and a lot of people just say "yes sir Mr. Govt." With no push back. I used to believe everything that was told to me and if I heard opposing opinions I would bounce back and forth like a ping pong ball, but time is a teacher and experience and adversity produce good results in some people and they don't go with the flow anymore because they have stabilizing common since and wisdom.
greenpondmike is offline   Reply With Quote