Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #1
sphooch

Default How do I

Hi guys , can't seem to stop my gas line from weeping gas.what can i be doing wrong? I have a late 31 with indented firewall and side bowl carb. I originally installed a glass fuel filter with rubber gas lines cut into the metal fuel line. that set up caused the fuel to boil and engine trouble. So i am trying to put a new fuel line back in,however the fittings at the fuel valve even with teflon tape on them still weep . is there some other way to stop the weeping. Maybe im not putting enough tape on? and the new gas line from BRATTONS they dont fit correct when you order from them. I called and they told me i have to rebend and trim . and the fittings come with the ferrel attached which i don't like.Any suggestions??? THANKS THE HOOCH
sphooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: How do I

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphooch View Post
Hi guys , can't seem to stop my gas line from weeping gas.what can i be doing wrong? I have a late 31 with indented firewall and side bowl carb. I originally installed a glass fuel filter with rubber gas lines cut into the metal fuel line. that set up caused the fuel to boil and engine trouble. So i am trying to put a new fuel line back in,however the fittings at the fuel valve even with teflon tape on them still weep . is there some other way to stop the weeping. Maybe im not putting enough tape on? and the new gas line from BRATTONS they dont fit correct when you order from them. I called and they told me i have to rebend and trim . and the fittings come with the ferrel attached which i don't like.Any suggestions??? THANKS THE HOOCH
To begin with, Teflon tape (-or any type tape) is a 'no-no' in this area on fittings.

Second, the reproduction fuel line must be re-shaped to match the original line. I have attached a photo that I believe Marco originally posted that shows the correct shape.

Third, it is best is you flux the ferrule and then add solder to seal between the fuel line and the ferrule. Also make sure the fuel line is not protruding too far out of the ferrule. Additionally make sure the seat in the carburetor and the gas valve are not damaged where the ferrule cannot get a good seal when seated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg late_fuel_line.jpg (62.0 KB, 92 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
sphooch

thanks i'll give that a try.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #4
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphooch View Post
Seems I always have trouble with the "new Style" fitting with the ferrel attached. I always replace them with the "original style". https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword
Old 08-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
Gary Karr

Brent mentioned a common cause that is often overlooked, and that is the surface of the seat inside the carburetor. If it is scored or pitted, the ferrule will not seat and seal correctly, which will cause a slow gas seepage.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #6
Tom Endy

The ferrule is what seals off any fuel leak. it is tapered on each end and is made of brass. When the nut is tightened the ferrule will crush to match the taper in the nut and in the boss of the carburetor inlet. This is why you do not need to put sealer on the threads, as the threads to not seal off the fuel.

After repeated removals of the fuel line the ferrules get whacked out of shape and may want to leak. Mil-spec would have you replace the ferrules each time you remove the fuel line. However, this is not practical.

I use one of my cars for testing rebuilt carburetors, so I have removed the fuel line countless times. I make it a practice to wrap the ferrules with white nylon tape. You must be careful not to get the tape over the end of the fuel line. Just wrap the ferrules. I wrap both ends each time I remove the fuel line. I will probably get cited by the Model A police for recommending such a practice, but it works for me.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #7
sphooch

thank you very much Brent. solder the ferrel on to seal it did the trick. i never would have thought of that. and the diagram of the fuel line was great i was able to re-bend mine and it now looks and fits as it should. thanks again. THE HOOCH
Old 08-07-2020, 08:15 PM   #8
wwirz

OK...Purists need not read this suggestion. I had the same issue trying to get the steel fuel line reinstalled after replacing the gas shut off for the gas tank. I finally cut the original line and inserted a flexible gas line (rubber and about 3 inches long) rated for gasoline of course. This allowed me to get the threads engaged in each ferrule (under the gas valve and at the fire wall. Then I installed the flexible fuel line. Problem solved and doesn't leak a drop of gas. .
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote