Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2022, 12:10 AM   #21
CJStefan

Default Re: Shoebox drop leaf springs with blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
It's been some time. I would hope that in that time you researched all of that.

Are you saying you only reversed one eye on the rear spring?
That's how they are made, I didn't have any input in that. Also I've been working with Fatman back and forth trying to get these dropped uprights sorted so I haven't put any though into the springs
CJStefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:24 AM   #22
Tinker

Being the rear is a hanging shackle and the front of the parallel spring is static. My guess would be on the static mount. It might be said to use the reverse eye there... or not. But what does fatman say?

Last edited by Tinker; 03-01-2022 at 12:33 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 08:56 AM   #23
CJStefan

I was thinking the same thing but I'll call Jamco just to confirm. I was under there spraying the shackle nuts and the front eye bolt nut with Kroil last night and I don't think a wrench is going to take these things off. They look rounded and corroded. Any of you guys have experience with the repop shackles and front eye bolts for these?
Old 03-28-2022, 10:04 PM   #24
CJStefan

The new springs are in and I can get the tire on and off no problem. What is a problem is that the car sits almost 2.5" higher than it did. How much do leaves settle, how long does it usually take and if I'm going to remove two leaves from the pack to drop it that extra 2.5", which two should I do? I'm thinking 3rd from top and either the bottom or 2nd one up.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:46 AM   #25
19Fordy

I don't know for sure but, after you make your final spring leaf modifications, you may find that you need to carry one good jack and 1 jack stand in your trunk in case you need to change a tire. You first raise the frame and support it with a jackstand. Then you jack up the rear axle housing to remove your tire.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:55 AM   #26
CJStefan

The tire comes off with room to spare. I took the bottom two leaves out and the spring is now sitting completely flat. It's a little lower than it was with all 7 leaves but still not as low as it was with the original springs and blocks. I'm thinking of running a 1 or 2 inch block, I just dont have either to see if I'll still be able to get the tire off. Also, with only one eye reversed its throwing the pinion angle completely off. Should've asked the to reverse the other eye. Now I have to decide if I want to cut the perches off and reweld them or if I just want to do angled blocks
Old 03-30-2022, 12:37 PM   #27
19Fordy

CJ: No doubt you did research earlier but, the videos and Links on this Goggle search may still be helpful.
https://www.google.com/search?q=shoe...hrome&ie=UTF-8
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 12:46 PM   #28
CJStefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
CJ: No doubt you did research earlier but, the videos and Links on this Goggle search may still be helpful.
https://www.google.com/search?q=shoe...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Yes sir, I've watched all those videos and a ton more haha.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:13 PM   #29
fordor41

speedway sells tapered shims, of various thickness to correct pinion angle
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:25 PM   #30
CJStefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
speedway sells tapered shims, of various thickness to correct pinion angle
I know it. I'm not a huge fan of shims. At the same time if I'm cutting the perches off I may just go ahead and do the axle swap while I'm at it so I only have to do it once
Old 04-01-2022, 11:15 PM   #31
Tinker

Being you have 4" blocks in. Wedges will help driveshaft angle. Check you scrubline. Maybe it was covered before. Don't want to blow a tire and drop an axle on the pavement. Truth be told there is only so low you can go without airbags. Still cool and drive-able. Cool is a state of mind.
Old 04-02-2022, 06:17 AM   #32
CJStefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Being you have 4" blocks in. Wedges will help driveshaft angle. Check you scrubline. Maybe it was covered before. Don't want to blow a tire and drop an axle on the pavement. Truth be told there is only so low you can go without airbags. Still cool and drive-able. Cool is a state of mind.
I dont have the blocks anymore. I replaced them with 4" drop springs
Old 04-03-2022, 10:39 PM   #33
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStefan View Post
So I put 4" lowering blocks on my '49 Club Coupe but I want it to come down about another 3". The problem is with the 4" blocks and stock springs, getting the 205/75s on was a huge pain in the butt. I'm thinking of getting Jamco (St. Lois Spring) 4" drop leaf springs and 3" blocks. Are lowering leaf springs the same length eye to eye as the factory springs just de-arched or are the springs themselves shorter in length? If they droop down as much as the factory spring it would essentially be like having just a 3" block when pulling the tire off.

New springs will always have more arch than the old springs. Sometimes/most times you get half what you think.

The nice thing is you get a better responding spring lower then the factory specs.

Could always put some sandbags in the trunk for a couple inches. A big drop will always be a hassle removing a flat tire. Always an existential hotrod/custom problem. Ease of functionality or esthetics. Usually more a custom thing then a hotrod thing. As hotrods are just built for going fast and function.

Last edited by Tinker; 04-03-2022 at 10:53 PM.