Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #1
vulture

Default Let's talk books model a Ford Manuals instruction bulletins old vs new what's better

Hey Guys down sized the shop and don't have room for all the Duplicate manual,green bibles , instruction ,service bulletins and 100s of books and thousands of magazines .
I would like to know what's better the old edition or the later ones. Also have a number of model a instruction book s and how do I tell from a original early repoduction or new reprint. This would be the same for parts price lists for model and ford V-8 .
I have 3 Ford service Bulletins and great books and tons of info, all different but only need one .
The green bibles have 5 how do you tell from a repoduction from a original
Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (81.9 KB, 149 views)
Old 11-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Let's talk books model a Ford Manuals instruction bulletins old vs new what's bet

The repos should have something printed on them that says reprint, maybe the back cover or in the very front. Some books, keep a shop copy and a house (clean) copy. the rest, list here or ebay. If you are in a position to do so, donate to your clubs library, old folks home, VA or even gift them to someone just getting into the hobby.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
Steve Wastler

Default Re: Let's talk books model a Ford Manuals instruction bulletins old vs new what's bet

Not all reprint manuals state it’s a reprint. Originals will have same size ford logo front and first page, ALL originals were semi gloss pages, so they have a sheen to them, reprints are flat, no gloss pages. Newer additions of regular books should have corrections to text if they were needed, older version not always better.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
vulture

I have been giving and donated a number of vintage magazines to the troops .It was when a buddy was sending thank you care packages overseas. The books we gave a number away over the years and even 25 years of the model a club magazines. These I was going to sell but want be honest on the original or repo. I am a stickler when it comes to original and not a Chinese repop fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
The repos should have something printed on them that says reprint, maybe the back cover or in the very front. Some books, keep a shop copy and a house (clean) copy. the rest, list here or ebay. If you are in a position to do so, donate to your clubs library, old folks home, VA or even gift them to someone just getting into the hobby.

Last edited by vulture; 11-30-2017 at 08:26 AM.
vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
vulture

So some say polyprints for example this 1936 New Ford V-8 for 1936 . This looks like a original and has no indication of being a repo if one available
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-30-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
J Franklin

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Polyprints are reprints.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #7
vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Polyprints are reprints.
That is what I thought and thank you ,no matter how old the reprint is its still not original
Old 12-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #8
supereal

The Canadian shop manual for 39-48 is the "go-to" at our shop. C&G sells them a item
V-222, about $60 bucks. 475 pages of info on everything you need to know. Order number is 800/266-0470. Many others can be seen in their on-line catalog at
www.cgfordparts.com
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:46 PM   #9
JDupuis

Would not the newests books have the best information? For example...latest findings, revelations. Etc....
Jeff
JDupuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:34 AM   #10
vulture

I have a number of green bibles original and reprints what do they go for? I have mine in a binder and years full of my greasy finger prints and this is the only one I am keeping