Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
Indiana A. Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana A. Lover
Thumbs up John Deere Corn head Grease

Well I was At the John Deere Store to day Picking up Parts for our Combine, I remembered the Thread about Oil and Grease. Brain Storm I picked up a couple tubes of corn head Grease, Really glad of the price per tube 3.89 a tube. Took the combine parts to farmer, got him squared away and picking Corn, bid him a fond fairwell and back to my Model A. Cleaned up an old grease gun to pump Grease into Steering Box. I installed a grease fitting into Box, Got comfortable AC-DC on the Stero, and pumped the Grease. BOY does the old Ford Turn Better now. Thank you all for your Wisdom about LUBE.
Indiana A. Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:25 PM   #2
old31

Default Re: John Deere Corn head Grease

Yep, the stuff does work well, and at a good price.

My only complaint is that I find it to be a slimy-gooie mess to clean up.
old31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
Russ B

I recall a thread here where it was also recommended for use on the U-joint behind the transmission. Am I dreaming?
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
fastroadster

Did you just drill a hole through the plug and put a grease fitting in there?
fastroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
Indiana A. Lover

Thumbs up Re: John Deere Corn head Grease

Fastroadster I went to our ACE hard ware store and found a short nipple and a 1/4 to 1/8 bell reducer srewed it into box,added a Zerk and pumped the corn grease. I agree it is a mess to clean up. I would not use it in U- JOINT.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #6
fastroadster

Thanks Indiana, going to try it in my gear box
Old 09-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #7
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana A. Lover View Post
Fastroadster I went to our ACE hard ware store and found a short nipple and a 1/4 to 1/8 bell reducer srewed it into box,added a Zerk and pumped the corn grease. I agree it is a mess to clean up. I would not use it in U- JOINT.
A lot of guys here on Fordbarn use it for the U-joint which makes sense. It is actually a very thick liquid (too thick to leak much) so it keeps flowing around and into he joint itself. Modern high temp greases like Mystik JT-6 don't flow; they get slung away from the joint and never lube anything again.
Also, this corn head grease comes in a low speed version for slow turning shafts and bearings and aa high speed version for agricultural gearboxes.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #8
ItsA31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
A lot of guys here on Fordbarn use it for the U-joint which makes sense...
Yep, like me.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #9
fastroadster

Would it work in Transmission??
Old 09-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastroadster View Post
Would it work in Transmission??
Put it in and let us know how u make out

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 09-25-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:24 PM   #11
updraught

I bought it for an electric bike planetary gearbox. Didn't know there were two speed versions.
Grease is noisy and oil can leak into the electrìc motor. So thought I'd give it a go...
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:20 PM   #12
Indiana A. Lover

I stand corrected , I will try it on my U-Joint and my Trans. I have every thing a part and will try it. Thanks for posting
Old 09-24-2016, 09:58 PM   #13
ItsA31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana A. Lover View Post
I stand corrected , I will try it on my U-Joint and my Trans. I have every thing a part and will try it. Thanks for posting
Just curious...is anyone else running Corn Head Grease in their trans, or is Indiana the first?
Old 09-24-2016, 10:41 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsA31 View Post
Just curious...is anyone else running Corn Head Grease in their trans, or is Indiana the first?
I sure wouldn't.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:20 PM   #15
SSsssteamer

I recently purchased a 1910 Kissel Car model D10 Toy Tonneau. I checked the transmission for oil. Someone had filled it with grease, and it looked to be like the sticky slimy corn head grease. The insides of the transmission case were coated with the stuff and I could still see all of the way to the dry bottom of the case. The grease had coated the walls of the transmission like stucco, and the gears had nothing on them. I scooped out all I could and brought the transmission up to its full level with 600W. What I could not scrape off eventually melted into the 600 W mix. Now the transmission is too full of oil and it is now leaking a sticky black goo out onto the floor. The transmission needs its 600W for proper lubrication. Anything heavier may not return to the gears fast enough for proper lubrication.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1910 Kissel Kar.jpg (304.3 KB, 29 views)
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:06 AM   #16
coupe1942

Hope this loads to the link:

https://youtu.be/UEwk_sYP6A8

I'm wondering if SSsssteamer's vehicle in question was maybe not topped off or filled with the correct amount of corn head grease to begin with? Therefore, the gears were not getting the proper amount of lubrication? I have no real idea and I am just wondering, myself to play devil's advocate. I wonder if you fill the case and then drive it for a period long enough to let everything warm up fully and then top the case off for best results?

In the many threads about such at this site and the accompanying Model T and hotrod forums here, there are many things not noted in them:

1. Where all can the grease be used? Ball joint, steering box, tranny, rear end, elsewhere?
2. What is the proper amount to use in each application?
3. How is it best applied?
4. Should it be mixed with anything else or simply used alone?
5. Does anyone really have an opinion based on their own use vs just speculation.
6. How often should it be topped off or changed out?
7. How does it react in various weather/climate conditions? Warm weather, cold weather for example.
8. What impact does it seem to have on the gears? Does it slow them down any or make the shifting improved if you use it in the tranny?

I suppose there are other unanswered questions as well. I remember one post saying to remove it just use kerosene.

I am sort of surprised that no one ever thinks to ask someone from the farm community or even a Tractor forum sage or a steam engine sage as to how they use it, the best case scenario and how it holds up. It almost seems like an oil thread as to the differences in opinion on the matter.

I had used Lubriplate well before a lot of folk at Ahooga had really heard of the product before. This was back about 10 years past when I was into the hobby and I had a relative who was a salesman for an industrial ball bearing supply company. Some folk swear by it now days and some prefer the 600W with some STP added or some other brand completely. I guess it all depends upon the individual and what they like, but it would be nice to really hear from those who actually have some real world experience with the product on a more routine basis n stead of just opinion alone.

Look up "corn head" or "corn head grease" in the search engine here and you can find quite a number of hits on it as to threads.

I bought several tubes at my local John Deer dealership recently. I believe they cost maybe $3.69 per grease gun tube. I have not given them a try, as my pickup is still awaiting some wiring harness work before getting back on the road. No way for me to check it all out at this point. My brother-in-law is a retired farmer and I had planned on speaking to him about it. He has managed my wife's family farm for the past 30 years or longer and has basically used John Deere or Case tractors and implements mostly during that time. He isn't in town to speak with at present, but I did plan on asking about his experience with the product and how he views it for farm applications.

Last edited by coupe1942; 09-25-2016 at 02:11 AM.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:34 AM   #17
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
I recently purchased a 1910 Kissel Car model D10 Toy Tonneau. I checked the transmission for oil. Someone had filled it with grease, and it looked to be like the sticky slimy corn head grease. The insides of the transmission case were coated with the stuff and I could still see all of the way to the dry bottom of the case. The grease had coated the walls of the transmission like stucco, and the gears had nothing on them. I scooped out all I could and brought the transmission up to its full level with 600W. What I could not scrape off eventually melted into the 600 W mix. Now the transmission is too full of oil and it is now leaking a sticky black goo out onto the floor. The transmission needs its 600W for proper lubrication. Anything heavier may not return to the gears fast enough for proper lubrication.
SS, I love that Kissel. It is beautiful.
old31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:49 AM   #18
Indiana A. Lover

I have retought the corn grease in trans, NOT GONNA HAPPEN. In goes 600 and be safe. I can see the foolish mistake of the grease being flipped off the gears and sticking to the case,and not lubing the gears. Well I will not be putting grease in Trans!
Old 09-25-2016, 03:32 AM   #19
updraught

I plan on using it in a planetary gearbox which pushes the grease back from the casing. Nowhere for the grease to hide.

updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:54 AM   #20
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

If it is the answer to all lubrication woes why is it not on every store shelf? Is it a case of a few people promoting it and yelling loud about it ? I think so. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:31 AM   #21
tinman080

Will it maintain lube properties under extreme pressure? Just because a product feels ''slick'' does not insure it will maintain an adequate film to prevent galling and surface failure. I would tread very carefully in this area....
Old 09-25-2016, 06:10 AM   #22
RonC

https://www.nlgi.org/faqs-lubricating-grease/

Regular multipurpose grease is NLGI 2 -"Normal". Corn head is NGLI 0 -"Very Soft". Ford used a grease equating to NGLI 1 -"Soft" in the universal joint.

Last edited by RonC; 09-25-2016 at 06:25 AM.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #23
coupe1942

One may wonder though if "what Ford used" was based only on what was available at the time or determined that it was the very best product by some other method. A lot of changes and improvements have happened over time to virtually anything that Ford had available at the time. They types of oil, oil additives and the gasoline quality could all be examples, couldn't they?
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #24
RonC

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
One may wonder though if "what Ford used" was based only on what was available at the time or determined that it was the very best product by some other method. A lot of changes and improvements have happened over time to virtually anything that Ford had available at the time. They types of oil, oil additives and the gasoline quality could all be examples, couldn't they?
Materials yes but the engineering is the same in this case i.e. a grease with NGLI 1 for the universal joints
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #25
5lugnuts

Regular multipurpose grease is NLGI 2 -"Normal". Corn head is NGLI 0 -"Very Soft". Ford used a grease equating to NGLI 1 -"Soft" in the universal joint.

50% Normal plus 50% Very Soft = 100% Soft What could possibly go wrong??
5lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #26
Indiana A. Lover

All in all I think this was a worth while Thread. I enjoyed Talking about the grease, I was very on the Fence so to say, I needed feedback and I got it!!! Thank everyone for your input!! I enjoy the Barn a lot!!
Old 09-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #27
fastroadster

I'm going to try it in my steering box............