Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #21
freak

Talking Re: float crushed from altitude change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old1928fordguy View Post
Hi Guys,I am the parts guy refered to as ignorant and full of shit.I have heard of this problem with altitude and floats before.It was only a guess but.I stayed late at Berts packaged a new float for our customer , hand delivered it to the post office priority mail to try to help our customer.I don't believe any one at Berts deserves to be called ignorant and full of shit .We work hard every to day to help our customers with their problems.Check the ATTA BOYS ! we receive on here all the time.Phil Turner, Berts Model A

You're right that was rude. I appreciate you taking care of the situation and as I stated in the original post. My issue and the reason for the post was to see if anyone else had such a problem. I was concerned that if the float has some manufacturing defect such as thin brass that the problem could happen again once inside my carb. Again I appreciate it and I hope the new float stays inflated!!!
freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #22
freak

Default Re: float crushed from altitude change?

Bert's sent me a new float in a bigger box. It looks fine and I appreciate how quickly they responded to the problem. I'd be happy to do business with them again!
freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #23
Pictou County T & A

Thumbs up Re: float crushed from altitude change?

Quote:
Hi Guys,I am the parts guy refered to as ignorant and full of shit.I have heard of this problem with altitude and floats before.It was only a guess but.I stayed late at Berts packaged a new float for our customer , hand delivered it to the post office priority mail to try to help our customer.I don't believe any one at Berts deserves to be called ignorant and full of shit .We work hard every to day to help our customers with their problems.Check the ATTA BOYS ! we receive on here all the time.Phil Turner, Berts Model A

Well said Phil.
Pictou County T & A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #24
ford3

LOL, well ive been called rude and crude in here, but this atmosferic crushed float if an olld wifes tale in the making, just like there is no such think as vapor lock, so let me ask you guys in here, how many of you have ever had a crusked float caused by altitute change, i never have, ive had my 29 tudor sedan to denver colorada and to the top of pikes peak, and as far as i know 2 years later my float is still round, not exploded or crushed, im sorry if i hurt some ones feelings but there is no gile im me, with me you will always know where im coming from, no lies, no deciet, thats just me and i wont apoligise for that
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

No such thing as vapor lock huh?
Guess I and half the guys in our club just had a bad dream about our cars stalling.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #26
spdway1

I guess ford3 did not have a bag of potato chips with him among other things.

I count 20, how many did you find?
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #27
ford3

TOM, i meant that as a poke at the ones who say there is no such thing as vapor lock, lol they say its an old wifes tale, i know all about vapor lock, and it does happen, have had probably 4 cars that would vapor lock, and fuel boil out of carb because of excessive heat on shut down
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #28
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post
I guess ford3 did not have a bag of potato chips with him among other things.

I count 20, how many did you find?
I got 21.....

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #29
spdway1

LMAO, Bill, how many did you find in post 28?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #30
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Guess I and half the guys in our club just had a bad dream about our cars stalling.
our 96 ford aerostar van got vapor lock going up in the rocky mountains. died at the top of a peak as we coasted the 2 miles or so to town. Got to leveler ground with a wide shoulder and pulled off. The only way it would stay running was keeping the pedal floored. We called a local repair place as it didn't happen last time we went to Colorado and he asked where we last got gas.
We told him in Kansas and he asked how long has it been parked?
We said about 40 minutes.
He said go and see if it will start and if it does it was probably vapor lock as Kansas has lower octane fuels that don't do so hot in the mountains.
He said to get it started and drive it to his shop as he has some octane booster and some other stuff.
So we did and he said he sees this a few times a week from out of staters. Charged us $10 for a gallon of gas and his magical concoction and didnt have a single problem since.

So yea even modern cars can still get vapor lock if the conditions are right.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #31
George Miller

I only get vapor lock on a hot day when I drive the car. It never happens in the garage.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #32
Growley bear

Bert's has treated me very well every time I place an order. When I need parts or info about a part I check with Bert's first. The team at Bert's gets an A++ rating from me.
Chet
Quote:
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #33
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Tom,
Back in the very early '70's while working at a GM dealership, we received a service bulletin about vapor lock in a Buick Opel. Their answer to the problem was to drill a (I forget the size now) verrry small hole in the fuel pump housing. Vapor lock can happen anywhere.
Chet
Old 10-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #34
FL&WVMIKE

I believe that vapor lock can happen, but most "vapor lock" problems, are actually electrical.
I don't buy the theory that a float can not handle the change in atmospheric pressure.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #35
montanafordman

Its fun watching the show "Mythbusters" on TV where they either confirm or bust a myth. Often times when a myth is busted they still try to change variables to try and duplicate the outcome of the myth by going to extremes. It would be fun to use some combination of heat or dry ice and altitude when its sealed and then fly it my unpressurized airplane and measure it with some calipers to find out what rate it expands or contracts, or if it is even able to be crushed! I'm sure you could find some way to change pressures drastically enough to make the float fail (either by leaking or crushing) its just a question of how much pressure differential and how. In fact, maybe tonight I'll take my zenith float and harbor freight calipers to work with me and measure at sea level and at 13,000? I'll report back later! As a disclaimer I have not tested it for leaks, and if its leaking it probably wont change at all. If its sealed well enough I would almost expect at least some minute change in size.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #36
Tiny

Berts gets all the money Sacramento Vintage Ford should get from me, but they burned that bridge. Steve was more than happy to accept my bussiness
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #37
spdway1

Thumbs up Re: float crushed from altitude change?

Steve has my business from Massachusetts.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #38
Dave in Boise

I would never hesitate to do business with Berts. They have always been a class act and have likely forgotten more about 'A's than I'll learn. They even talked me out of parts that would not solve the problem I was having.

My 2 cents

- Dave in Boise
Dave in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #39
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Boise View Post
I would never hesitate to do business with Berts. They have always been a class act and have likely forgotten more about 'A's than I'll learn. They even talked me out of parts that would not solve the problem I was having.

My 2 cents

- Dave in Boise
I agree. One time I asked about a part not in their catalog and I was given an explanation as to why they didn't stock it. I ordered one from another vendor, installed the part and; guess what? Bert's was right on target, promptly removed the part and sent it back to the vendor. I should have listened to Steve.
Any way, as far fetched as a float crushed by a change in atmospheric pressure may sound to some folks, it is possible, and Bert's will make it right.
Chet
Old 10-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #40
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growley bear View Post
I agree. One time I asked about a part not in their catalog and I was given an explanation as to why they didn't stock it. I ordered one from another vendor, installed the part and; guess what? Bert's was right on target, promptly removed the part and sent it back to the vendor. I should have listened to Steve.
Any way, as far fetched as a float crushed by a change in atmospheric pressure may sound to some folks, it is possible, and Bert's will make it right.
Chet
The deal is, no matter what caused it to crush, it was in good shape when Steve shipped it. What makes the difference is he made good on it, even though he didn't cause it. If it was from atmospheric pressure it will go back to normal when he gets it back.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote