Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #21
JohnLaVoy

Default Re: In need of new radiator. Old radiator beyond repair.

We use Brassworks, they make the close to original and well made radiators. You can add more fins etc. or keep it as original with the round tubes. Up to you. www.thebrassworks.net
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:01 PM   #22
TinCup

You know with all the testimonials for a Berg Radiator I am always curious when someone goes another route. Gary is always a pleasure to work with and the radiators always fit without modification. When he comes to Chickasha he always has a radiator for someone in the area he is delivering. Well I hope you luck with your purchase and hope it all works out.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:08 PM   #23
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
We use Brassworks, they make the close to original and well made radiators. You can add more fins etc. or keep it as original with the round tubes. Up to you. www.thebrassworks.net
I have bought two from Brassworks and they fit perfectly. To suggest they don't fit is fear mongering. He should not have been intimidated. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:12 PM   #24
KenCoupe

I have a Brassworks I bought a few years ago. I have had no problems - it holds water and it cools what it is supposed to cool. I had not heard of Bergs when I bought the Brassworks. Bergs sounds good, but I don't have any regret getting the radiator I have.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCup View Post
You know with all the testimonials for a Berg Radiator I am always curious when someone goes another route.
It's a matter of being closer to original in appearance when you buy Brassworks.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #26
The Brassworks

Default how to contact us

The forum is useful and helps out people new to this hobby by offering up good advice from personal experience. If I read (or hear) of any problem related our product, I stop production to review our process and see if it can be improved. Because we are a small business we can respond to a process change immediately.

The Brassworks has been making radiators for forty years and sometimes I chase my tail because the radiators being criticized were made by the prior owners. There’s not much I can do about this. I have had guys give me an earful about my radiators only to get a photo and see that it was made by another company. My personally favorite though is posts on the forum from people who never actually bought our product but comment to promote another company. My sixteen year old tells me they are called trolls. I looked it up:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

If you are not a troll but have (or had in the past) a problem with a product you purchased from me, please email me directly with the problem and the purchase date so I can determine if has been resolved. I can explain the production process and if we can determine together whether further improvements can be made.

My email is [email protected] and our phone number is 805.239.2501.
The Brassworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #27
Slowplane

I bought a Brassworks radiator for my '29 about 3 years ago, and can say the fit is perfect; 4000 troublefree miles. I picked it up in Paso. Lee showed us the facilities, and explained/answered all our questions.
The next time I need a radiator, I'll go with Brassworks.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #28
zzlegend

Drove 3 hours to Brassworks and hand carried my slightly shorter 32 Radiator shell and a cardboard template to show them where my flathead was mounting. 2 weeks later, picked it up. Perfect fit, tabs were perfect and been running it 3 years now. Perfect.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:58 PM   #29
Divco one

Just drove a '30 Model A with a Bergs up Mount Washington. Nuff said.
Divco one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:20 PM   #30
DougVieyra

What are the functional pluses and minuses of an original 'round tube' radiator (aside from originality) ; and what is it that the more modern type has over a 'round tube' ?
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:20 AM   #31
updraught

Default Re: how to contact us

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brassworks View Post

The Brassworks has been making radiators for forty years and sometimes I chase my tail because the radiators being criticized were made by the prior owners. There’s not much I can do about this.
Yes there is. If you tell us when you took over the business we will know what to say in reply.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #32
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: how to contact us

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brassworks View Post
The forum is useful and helps out people new to this hobby by offering up good advice from personal experience. If I read (or hear) of any problem related our product, I stop production to review our process and see if it can be improved. Because we are a small business we can respond to a process change immediately.

The Brassworks has been making radiators for forty years and sometimes I chase my tail because the radiators being criticized were made by the prior owners. There’s not much I can do about this. I have had guys give me an earful about my radiators only to get a photo and see that it was made by another company. My personally favorite though is posts on the forum from people who never actually bought our product but comment to promote another company. My sixteen year old tells me they are called trolls. I looked it up:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

If you are not a troll but have (or had in the past) a problem with a product you purchased from me, please email me directly with the problem and the purchase date so I can determine if has been resolved. I can explain the production process and if we can determine together whether further improvements can be made.

My email is [email protected] and our phone number is 805.239.2501.
The. Man obviously cares and will do whatever to make you happy! How can you ask for more. The original poster should have stayed with his original purchase instead if being influenced by a very small percentage of members. 5 or 6 out of 75,000 Barners is not a large group. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:15 PM   #33
The Brassworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
What are the functional pluses and minuses of an original 'round tube' radiator (aside from originality) ; and what is it that the more modern type has over a 'round tube' ?
Tubes progressed from large round to smaller round to oval and eventually flat in an ongoing effort to increase the amount of surface area of the coolant touching tube wall and, concomitantly, the exterior tube wall touching the fins. The geometry of the flattened ellipse allows coolant to touch tube wall and the round tube has more coolant touching other coolant (within the tube).

OEM seamed round brass tubes would sometimes split. The tubes we use are made of copper and are drawn multiple times to achieve a thinner wall. The result is a thinner wall which affords more rapid heat transfer and lighter weight.
The Brassworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:48 AM   #34
46international

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
My toilet bowl holds water also but does it flush
like I said I was very lucky, Yes it does hold water and it cools a 292 Y block. I added a pressure type neck and run a 4 pound cap. Not trying to pick a fight just wanted to say sometimes you can get lucky. and the fact that he was not too far from the largest swap meet in the country.
46international is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:28 PM   #35
Glenn C.

In retrospect I wish I had purchased a Bergs for my 28, rather than the BW that I did. I had purchased it about 3yrs ago, off the busy season, which the manufacturer was happy for. I did not install the rad immediately when I received it, which was very wrong on my part. This spring when I tried to install it, the radiator would not fit properly, due to the fact the manufacturer had made a mistake by installing the bottom mounting plate design for the 30/31 radiator and not for the 28/29. As a result, the radiator sat too high, causing a poor fit of the hood at the rear corners.
Shipping it back for correction was out of the question, due to shipping cost, and issue over warranty time.

Next time around I will go with Bergs, and install it immediately upon receipt.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #36
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C. View Post
In retrospect I wish I had purchased a Bergs for my 28, rather than the BW that I did. I had purchased it about 3yrs ago, off the busy season, which the manufacturer was happy for. I did not install the rad immediately when I received it, which was very wrong on my part. This spring when I tried to install it, the radiator would not fit properly, due to the fact the manufacturer had made a mistake by installing the bottom mounting plate design for the 30/31 radiator and not for the 28/29. As a result, the radiator sat too high, causing a poor fit of the hood at the rear corners.
Shipping it back for correction was out of the question, due to shipping cost, and issue over warranty time.

Next time around I will go with Bergs, and install it immediately upon receipt.
Regardless of the time frame since purchase the manufacturer should have paid shipping both ways and repaired it... It was a blatant defect..

Many parts we purchase for these cars do not get put into service right away..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #37
BAL1962

I may be needing a rad. in the future. Has anybody bought the standard rad from Snyders? It seems to be the least expensive.
BAL1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #38
CarlG

Just remember, "least expensive" isn't always the least expensive. YMMV
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote