Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
BarracudaBoy
BANNED

Default Model A on a trailer options?

I have a Dodge Grand Caravan with a Towing package rated at 3800 lbs. I towed it from Minnesota to Tennessee with this type 16 foot trailer and the Grand Caravan didn't feel too Grand doing it. I just sold the 16 footer and was looking at getting something smaller. What would the Barn suggest as the lightest smallest trailer to put a 1930 Tudor on? I have considered a single axle 12 foot but not sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (1).jpg (91.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg photo (2).jpg (86.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg photo (7).jpg (74.7 KB, 80 views)
BarracudaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
donh

Default Re: Model A on a trailer options?

Your trailer needs to be long enough to put most of the weight on the trailer axles as well as putting the correct tongue weight on your tow vehicle. This will help to insure that your trailer will be stable and your tow vehicle won't be going do the road with the headlights pointing in the year. The Reese torsion bar system works good for me.
donh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
TinCup

My 4.0L Jeep tow's my coupe just fine with a tandem trailer like the one pictured. No it's not a V8 but it made a 400 mile trip just fine. Electric brakes are a must.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
flatford39

I don't know about that Dodge Caravan being your pulling engine. I would have kept the trailer and sold the Caravan. Those are "soccer mom" cars. I don't think they are designed for pulling a car trailer. Maybe a snow mobile or ski jet but not another car.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford39 View Post
I don't know about that Dodge Caravan being your pulling engine. I would have kept the trailer and sold the Caravan. Those are "soccer mom" cars. I don't think they are designed for pulling a car trailer. Maybe a snow mobile or ski jet but not another car.
I do agree with this. I have a similar type van and I would not even think of towing my trailer and A with it. I use a Chev (sorry) pickup.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
ken ct
BANNED

Your lucky you didn't cook the trans,Chryslers have lousy trans in them.ken ct. A good friend of mine over the past 20 yrs hes bought roughtly 5-6 of them brand new,on suggestion of his wife cause she likes them. Hes has trans. troubles with every one of them,hes a honey do so he keeps buying them. Go figure. ken ct.

Last edited by ken ct; 02-22-2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Added a few remarks.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
BarracudaBoy
BANNED

I bought the van with the heavy duty trans and cooler for towing. I don't have the money for the care and feeding of a truck that will only do the job once in a blue moon. Plus the wife would not be happy driving a truck with four kids! lol. If what I've read is correct the Model A weighs about 2200(?) that means a trailer weighing 1600, if capable, would do it. I figured someone on the barn had figured out a setup to tow that didn't require a heavy duty puller since the Model A only weighs about 400 lbs more than my Chevy Metro.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
Gary WA

Featherlite makes a Great Aluminum 17 ftr Very light and tows Great check them out.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Model A on a trailer options?

Your Dodge Caravan was never designed or intended to pull a car
on a trailer - period ....

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
Great Lakes Greg

I think your Caravan engineers were probably thinking pop-up campers as the things being towed. I have seen Model A's on single axle trailers, but I would question they're stability on the highway. Double axles obvioulsy track better by nature. Perhaps you could rent a 12 footer and take a ride with the car on it to see how it behaves?
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Your trailer in the pictures looks exactly the same as the one I have. When you are loading an A on it, you are VERY close to the 3,800 lb weight that is the max tow weight for the minivan. It doesn't surprise me at all that you were unhappy with that combination.

A smaller trailer isn't going to help enough to warrant the expense. No matter what you get, the weight of the A and the trailer will be too much for the van to handle safely. You need to find some solution for towing other than the Caravan.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
George Miller

The car and trailer would be a lot of weight for two tires. I think you would be no better off than than you were with your old trailer. Probable would not be as good. Where you load your car on the trailer is very important. To far back and the trailer will be unstable. To far ahead and it will take to much weight off the front wheels on the tow car.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
Aok

For limited use look for a extra older vehicle for towing and parts I have a 1993 GMC 2500 (3/4 ton) van with long body and a 350 ci engine it tows well not expensive to buy only hurts when I fill the 33 gal tank.
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
jerry rose

If you only pull the trailer "once in a blue moon" i'd consider maybe renting a proper tow rig. I had one of those vans and can't imagine pulling anything. even though mine had the "tow" package it was the same tranny with just a bigger cooler on it. My chev HD crew cab hold 5 adults comfortably and gets 15 mpg pulling the car trailer on the highway.
jerry rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
BarracudaBoy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Greg View Post
I think your Caravan engineers were probably thinking pop-up campers as the things being towed. I have seen Model A's on single axle trailers, but I would question they're stability on the highway. Double axles obvioulsy track better by nature. Perhaps you could rent a 12 footer and take a ride with the car on it to see how it behaves?
Thanks for the input fellows.

I was thinking along the same lines as you Greg. I wouldn't mind trying a double axle 12 footer but there doesn't seem to be that many around, used anyway. I was considering a 12 foot single axle, but I have the same reservations about stability. Even if a single axle is rated for such weight, I'm not sure how much weight the tires on the axle would be rated for. Figuring that a 12' double axle trailer like the one in the picture might fit the bill for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3K13k13M45K65F45Jbd1mf213f7a3f6ad19a5.jpg (13.1 KB, 75 views)
Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #16
Chris in CT

Hi 'Cuda,
Double axle under a car trailer every time. Its much too easy to lose control of a single axle trailer (fishtail, etc.) with a car aboard, and balancing is crucial with a single axle.
You should pull that rig with a vehicle rated at no less than 5000 lbs, for both convenience and safety. Magnetic brakes - do not rely on surge brakes! When hauling a trailer, change out your tranny fluid every 75k miles. Happy Motoring! PS, My own trailer is a double axle 14foot Andersen...

Last edited by Chris in CT; 02-22-2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: more info
Chris in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #17
rons49

I pull mine with a GMC Sierra with a small V8 and a Tommys aluminum 22 ft. I pull a 50 Caddy and 53 Hudson as well. The trailer has a 6500 Lb capacity and weighs 1400 lbs. With the Model A weight of @ 2500 + 1400 you have a under 4000 gross weight. Now that will place a whole lot of vehicles in that capacity range. Small SUVs not being alone. Featherlite is good also, however, when I bought my trailer, I could not fully open the tailgate with the Featherlite hooked up. Also, buy the longest trailer that you can. When you wish to sell, someday, it opens a larger market. Electric brakes a must as said before. Also removable fenders are strongly advised.
rons49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
Chris in WNC

good luck renting a tow rig. U-Haul will only rent their pickups for local moves without a trailer so unless you want to drive a box van you're out of luck.

a friend in FL was shopping for a new tow vehicle to pull a fine point car long distance in a closed trailer. I recommended he not consider anything smaller than a full-size pickup.

he wanted something his wife woluld be willing to drive everyday, considered an Accura crossover vehicle. told me the salesman assured him it could pull the closed trailer. I replied the salesman would be warm and cozy at home when my friend is jacknifed in a ditch somewhere in the rain.

he bought the Accura anyhow and has so far been LUCKY. I stand by my original advice that nothing smaller than a full sized pickup is sufficient to pull a car hauler any distance.

full disclosure: my only highway towing experience was a single trip pulling a Roadster from Ohio to Florida on a U-haul trailer behind an E150 van in good weather. it worked very well.

Last edited by Chris in WNC; 02-22-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #19
V4F

i towed my first "A" home to ca. from michigan on a 12' trailer . beat me & it to death . to short ! ......................
Old 02-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #20
BarracudaBoy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4F View Post
i towed my first "A" home to ca. from michigan on a 12' trailer . beat me & it to death . to short ! ......................
Were you running a dual axle?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #21
bogdonj

I would strongly recommend towing the model a with at least a rating of 5000lbs or higher. I use a Toyota Tacoma on our custom trailer... works like a charm. Trailer brakes are a must also. Driving carefully and not over working the vehicle is also key.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20120813-01432 (2).jpg (87.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120816-01442 (2).jpg (91.9 KB, 66 views)
1930 Ford Original Rolling Chassis- Restoring
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #22
Fred K-OR

Please let the advise given here become a wake up call to using your van. I would hate to be the person taking care of your 4 children when you crash with a trailer behind your van.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #23
todd3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
Featherlite makes a Great Aluminum 17 ftr Very light and tows Great check them out.
I have pulled all sorts of trailers over the years but the best is the featherlight it is so light and a dream to pull might be more money but it wont rust and the extra cost will be saved in gas
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #24
Mitch//pa
BANNED

image.jpgAgree strongly with all the dont use the van responses. That would be a truck enforcement cops field day...

Love my 2012 2500 hd. With duramax // Allison combo it rips the trailer down the road

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-22-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #25
Ron/IA

BarracudaBoy - I agree with all that has been posted thus far that your van is not the vehicle to pull that trailer and your A.

bogdonj - I am very interested in your trailer. You state it is a custom built trailer; did you build it or was it done by a shop? If you built it, I would like to know more about it; parts and materials used, dimensions, etc.

Thanks, Ron/IA

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #26
29ModelA

I will just leave this right here.... VERY worth reading. My car is on the cover actually, as I was a co-author and the author thought it fit very well to show towing has not changed much.

http://www.ppp.purdue.edu/Pubs/PPP-92.pdf

Your going to cook that van, especially if you get into some hills. Hills will cook the trans going uphill, or it will cook it going downhill and possibly overheat the brakes causing even worse.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #27
bogdonj

It was built by my grandfather and has been transporting our Model A's for over 30 years. If you want I can PM you details when I get talking to him. Its very use full and built solid. It has extension at the back that allow us to winch up the model a if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron/IA View Post
BarracudaBoy - I agree with all that has been posted thus far that your van is not the vehicle to pull that trailer and your A.

bogdonj - I am very interested in your trailer. You state it is a custom built trailer; did you build it or was it done by a shop? If you built it, I would like to know more about it; parts and materials used, dimensions, etc.

Thanks, Ron/IA
1930 Ford Original Rolling Chassis- Restoring
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #28
brum1

Yes-that 3800# tow package is just too close for comfort. Unsafe in my opinion-just not worth a potential accident or burning up the daily driver that you rely on
Old 02-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #29
ronn

As everyone else pretty much says-caravan is just WRONG.

You could cut down on your weight with a tow dolly or a towbar, as a side.

I used a towbar to bring an A coupe home once and it did alright as long as I didn't exceed 50mph.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #30
lance leblanc

In 1970, using an old boat trailer that was converted to custom fit the car and was low enough that ramps were not needed. My father-in-law pulled his Tudor from Orlando, FL to Sacramento, CA and then in 1976 back to Fort Walton Beach FL . 35 years later, after dragging it out of the woods and replacing the tires and bearings I used the same trailer to haul the same car from FL to Baton Rouge, LA. Today it has seen its better days but with new lights and a couple of welds I would use it again for a short haul.
(1967 Couger was used as the pull vehicle).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7353.JPG (156.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7354.JPG (122.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7356.JPG (111.1 KB, 51 views)

"When Solomon said there was a time and place for everything he had not encountered the problem of parking his automobile." Bob Edwards
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #31
Duffy1

Single axle has two tires . What happens if you have a blow out ?
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #32
lance leblanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy1 View Post
Single axle has two tires . What happens if you have a blow out ?
Believe me, everytime I used the trailer the fear of a blowout never left my mind. I realize that a twin axle rig offers so much more in safey and peace of mind. But if it is what you have you use it. When I brought the car and trailer home it was necessary as the house was being sold and we were clearing the house and property. The trailer pulled horribly when empty (wheel bounce) but pulled fine with the car on it, although being low as it is, it would sometimes drag its tail on driveways. I only had one flat while Ive had it and it was in my driveway at the time. Simply slide a floor jack under and changed to a spare.

"When Solomon said there was a time and place for everything he had not encountered the problem of parking his automobile." Bob Edwards

Last edited by lance leblanc; 02-22-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #33
Mitch//pa
BANNED

On a double axle if the lead tire comes apart it sometimes takes out the one behind it.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #34
Ron/IA

Bogdonj - I have sent you a PM.

Thanks, Ron/IA

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #35
John LaVoy

Over the years I have used tow bars for short tows, open trailers and more recently enclosed trailers. Both of the trailer combinations had electric brakes. But as most have commented the tow vehicle is the key element. When looking at the vehicle to choose, check the tow rating. I found the Jeep Liberty with the tow package would handle the open trailer with Model A quite well. It was small enough that my wife enjoyed driving it when we were not towing. But they don't make those any more, maybe the Grand Cherokee would work. But I love my Ford F-150 for towing my enclosed trailer with Model A.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #36
SkimmerBob

Here are 2 links to a site forum all about towing and tow vehicles it is from a camping site, But I would consider it the "FORDBARN" of camping it's a very good site. Lots of info from very Knowledgeable people. Please check it out!
Now my comment I think you have to add all weight not just the weight you are pulling behind you, such as you & the Mrs. & the Kids & the dog & the Luggage & anything else going down the road with you. Good Luck & Remember Safety First.

http://forums.woodalls.com/Index.cfm...s/forum/40.cfm
http://forums.woodalls.com/Index.cfm...s/forum/41.cfm
SkimmerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #37
Terry Longest

Excellent link 29modela. Thanks for posting. I'll no longer twist my safety chains!
Terry Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #38
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkimmerBob View Post
Here are 2 links to a site forum all about towing and tow vehicles it is from a camping site, But I would consider it the "FORDBARN" of camping it's a very good site. Lots of info from very Knowledgeable people. Please check it out!
Now my comment I think you have to add all weight not just the weight you are pulling behind you, such as you & the Mrs. & the Kids & the dog & the Luggage & anything else going down the road with you. Good Luck & Remember Safety First.

http://forums.woodalls.com/Index.cfm...s/forum/40.cfm
http://forums.woodalls.com/Index.cfm...s/forum/41.cfm
This is true, ALL weight needs to be factored in against the GVWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Longest View Post
Excellent link 29modela. Thanks for posting. I'll no longer twist my safety chains!

Thank you, while not the end all of knowledge, it is a pretty good guide IMO. Many people also do not think of the liability issues if something were to happen.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #39
larryf

16 foot may be your safest and best bet, but when looking when got mine 14 foot seemed the very minimum
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #40
dave in australia

I've towed my Tudor on my 12' tandem open top without any problems. The tow vehicle was a Ford Falcon station wagon, 4ltr inline six, borg warner auto. I've used this trailer for cars a lot heavier than an A as well. A lot of problems with towing are from incorrect loading. The trailer also has electric brakes with a controller inside the cabin.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #41
Buz

Another thing to think about when towing with any vehicle with an automatic transmission is the fluid temperature. It was eye opening to me when I installed a transmission temp gauge. You just cannot believe how a little more speed on the interstate raises the temperature and cooks the fluid while towing a trailer. The gauge installed cost me less than $100. how much do you think you will spend on a transmission overhaul?
Buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #42
ctvpa

You will never get a better trailer for the price than this guy http://www.econotrailer.com/ I got the 13 foot with electric brakes. He sells them low because he has a welding shop, and they make them. Built like a tank, and for a new price lower than most used trailers. Very nice guy to work with. My Murano pulled it with no issue.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #43
Roger V

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29ModelA View Post
I will just leave this right here.... VERY worth reading. My car is on the cover actually, as I was a co-author and the author thought it fit very well to show towing has not changed much.

http://www.ppp.purdue.edu/Pubs/PPP-92.pdf

Excellent link. Fortunately, my trailering practice follows its recommendations. Purdue's study should be required reading by anyone thinking about trailering!
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #44
BrianM

Smile Re: Model A on a trailer options?

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the U-Haul auto-hauler. It's a lightweight, dual axle unit that tracks well. It has surge brakes as well. I pulled my Tudor home on one, using my half ton, 6 cylinder Chevy. The rental fee was amazingly low and the unit towed well. An easy trip.
BrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #45
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the U-Haul auto-hauler. It's a lightweight, dual axle unit that tracks well. It has surge brakes as well. I pulled my Tudor home on one, using my half ton, 6 cylinder Chevy. The rental fee was amazingly low and the unit towed well. An easy trip.

I agree.

Buz also makes a good point in that when driver's slow down, safety & longetivity picks up tremendously!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #46
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
It was mentioned in post # 19..
if you went to rent one with a caravan they would kick you out
a major liability issue for them

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-24-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #47
Chris in WNC

I agree with BrianM that the U-haul car hauler is an excellent trailer and works very well.
strongly disagree with his statement that it is "lightweight". the one I rented in 1991 was extremely heavy. have they changed noticeably since then? doubtful since U-haul must "idiot-proof" their products as much as possible.......
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #48
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I just saw this on Facebook and thought THIS to me would be "scary-ier" than a Dodge Grand Caravan pulling a single wheel trailer!! I sure hope it all worked out!! Thoughts????

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #49
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
It was mentioned in post # 19..
if you went to rent one with a caravan they would kick you out
a major liability issue for them
Not just a Caravan, they don't rent to Ford Explorers either. (Despite the fact that they installed the hitch on my Explorer!)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #50
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I just saw this on Facebook and thought THIS to me would be "scary-ier" than a Dodge Grand Caravan pulling a single wheel trailer!! I sure hope it all worked out!! Thoughts????

I see what you mean........that right front tire needs air.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #51
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I see what you mean........that right front tire needs air.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #52
lance leblanc

That picture brings to mind a lesson I learned the hard way.
When I brought my car home for the first time, my visor and my wiper did not like the higher Interstate speeds when being trailered facing forward.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #53
Jazzjr

The Problem with the car on the trailer in Brent's photo, is you never place most of the weight on the rear axle of the Trailer. The car should have been Driven on, the trailer wheels look like to me they are centered on the trailer. Their for driving it on places weight on the tongue of the trailer, to hitch ball of the tow vehicle. Driving it on may also balance the weight on the trailer some, in any case it should face forward, and an Equalizer Hitch should be used, Plus Electric Brakes on trailer or a Motion Sensor Brake Unit.

Last edited by Jazzjr; 02-28-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #54
Jazzjr

Here's how I got my A from Crown Point, NY to Punta Gorda, Florida, 1650 miles. Auto Transport Company's three I called wanted from $2250 to $2800 for the trip.

I researched Truck Rentals on the Internet and Budget was the most Reasonable. I rented a 16ft Box Truck, ($895) and a 16ft Car Trailer ($355) for my Caravan for $1250 in Nov 2012. Fuel cost me $450 fo the Trip, My car insurance covered the Truck and Trailer for any Damages if one happened, plus road side assistance.
Where my Son works we loaded the Model A Huckster by use of a Rollback, In Florida, a Rollback cost me $50 to unload. I could have used truck and trailer for 6 days, Unlimited Mileage. I figure it would have cost me 45 cents a mile to run just car (Caravan) for the trip, Gas + wear and tare = ($743) So $1250 + $450 =$50 cost me $1750 - minus $743 = $1007 and no miles on the Caravan.

I wrapped the front bumper of the A with a Packing Blancket, Used 2" straps in the Rear and Chocked Wheels to the Floor, besides using E-Brake and Reverse gear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2142 (Custom).jpg (561.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2146 (Custom).jpg (569.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2153 (Custom).jpg (574.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2155 (Custom).jpg (560.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2168 (Custom).jpg (571.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2171 (Custom).jpg (575.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Jazzjr; 02-28-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #55
BrianM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
I agree with BrianM that the U-haul car hauler is an excellent trailer and works very well.
strongly disagree with his statement that it is "lightweight". the one I rented in 1991 was extremely heavy. have they changed noticeably since then? doubtful since U-haul must "idiot-proof" their products as much as possible.......
To clarify, U-Haul has a lightweight unit which I used, and a much heavier one that requires a 3/4 ton at least. They said the heavy one is good for log skidders & such.
BrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #56
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzjr View Post
The Problem with the car on the trailer in Brent's photo, is you never place most of the weight on the rear axle of the Trailer. The car should have been Driven on, the trailer wheels look like to me they are centered on the trailer. Their for driving it on places weight on the tongue of the trailer, to hitch ball of the tow vehicle. Driving it on may also balance the weight on the trailer some, in any case it should face forward, and an Equalizer Hitch should be used, Plus Electric Brakes on trailer or a Motion Sensor Brake Unit.

Considering that is a Fordor that is "loaded" with wood inside the body, those fellars may have needed the car on backwards just so they could balance the load so as not to overload that poor little pick-up's bumper!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com