Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #1
Phil Gillespie

Default 8BA Water Pump Kits by Dennis Carpenter.

Am presently in the process of rebuilding some 8BA water pumps.
Have it ready to reassemble. However in the supplied kit by Dennis Carpenter A8C-8591 there is also included a snap ring??
The originals i stripped do not have a snap ring fitted. Is this a modification as cant see where it should sit.
Also the slinger which is part of the seal set up seems tight on the shaft.
Maybe to freeze the shaft for some shrinkage prior assemble.
Would welcome comments especially concerning the snap ring.
Thanks,
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:42 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: 8BA Water Pump Kits by Dennis Carpenter.

The same kit fits many year pumps including Mercury.
This is where the clip fits on a Mercury pump.
Your version of pump may or may not use the clip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1a merc wtr pump.jpg (72.0 KB, 364 views)
Old 08-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
The same kit fits many year pumps including Mercury.
This is where the clip fits on a Mercury pump.
Your version of pump may or may not use the clip.
Ok thanks for that clarification. A groove at front end of casting to accept the snap ring. Mine does not have so assemble without.
Phil NZ
Old 08-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
Ronnieroadster

The Carpenter rebuild kit is now including a terrible in my opinion seal assembly. The slinger was originally a separate item as shown above. But now its part of the seal making it very difficult to install correctly. Good luck.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
The Carpenter rebuild kit is now including a terrible in my opinion seal assembly. The slinger was originally a separate item as shown above. But now its part of the seal making it very difficult to install correctly. Good luck.
Ronnieroadster
Thats exactly what i have found. And hence to freeze the shaft & warm the seal to assist with assembly or risk seal damage . As with the supplied clip there is also a small supplied slinger. This slinger not required now as its part of the seal. Yes?
Phil NZ
Old 08-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
supereal

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Whole lot easier to send pumps to Skip Haney. 941-505-9085.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #7
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
Whole lot easier to send pumps to Skip Haney. 941-505-9085.
The poster is from New Zealand not such an easy or cost effective task I bet!
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Old 08-24-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
Thats exactly what i have found. And hence to freeze the shaft & warm the seal to assist with assembly or risk seal damage . As with the supplied clip there is also a small supplied slinger. This slinger not required now as its part of the seal. Yes?
Phil NZ

Yes thats correct I would eliminate that part. Here in the US I have found the correct seal {one without that internal slinger issue} at pool equipment supply stores and at many bearing supply locations that seal is a common one used in many applications such as washing machine pumps and pool water pumps.
Ronnieroadster
Old 08-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #9
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Yes thats correct I would eliminate that part. Here in the US I have found the correct seal {one without that internal slinger issue} at pool equipment supply stores and at many bearing supply locations that seal is a common one used in many applications such as washing machine pumps and pool water pumps.
Ronnieroadster
Appreciate the info on alternative pump seals. Yes the freight is a killer to and from from "down under" not cost effective. Brought some new pumps from this site for $60.00(good value) but add to it $130.00 for shipping, shipping is the cost of a set of pumps.So local sourced pump seals will be real cost effective. Plus cant beat satisfaction of doing it yourself. Thanks again
Phil NZ
Old 08-25-2019, 07:37 AM   #10
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
Appreciate the info on alternative pump seals. Yes the freight is a killer to and from from "down under" not cost effective. Brought some new pumps from this site for $60.00(good value) but add to it $130.00 for shipping, shipping is the cost of a set of pumps.So local sourced pump seals will be real cost effective. Plus cant beat satisfaction of doing it yourself. Thanks again
Phil NZ

Your welcome I have rebuilt a lot of Flathead water pumps in the last 35 years and still do to this day. Heck I also find the bearing shaft assembly's are available at the bearing supply dealers. Nothing is special about the Flathead water pump rebuild parts those made from 1949 to 53 and the 1948 8BA truck engine. Many pumps not only automotive use the same internal parts learned this a long time ago.

Ronnieroadster
Old 08-25-2019, 10:23 AM   #11
rotorwrench

The only weird ones in the 8BA family were the partial bushing pumps made for the 1949 Mercury. It was a one year only thing with an oiler cap. The 49 Merc had special front engine mounts so a person is sort of stuck with them to keep the car original. I have to rebuild the 0CM Mercury pumps like the ones illustrated above since they aren't reproduced. They have the spring ring clip. This is likely why they put the clip in there so that one size fits all.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #12
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The only weird ones in the 8BA family were the partial bushing pumps made for the 1949 Mercury. It was a one year only thing with an oiler cap. The 49 Merc had special front engine mounts so a person is sort of stuck with them to keep the car original. I have to rebuild the 0CM Mercury pumps like the ones illustrated above since they aren't reproduced. They have the spring ring clip. This is likely why they put the clip in there so that one size fits all.
Again thanks for info. can always get the "good oil' from this site much appreciated.
Phil NZ
Old 06-30-2022, 03:33 PM   #13
radioman5959

These pump kits can be damaged easily. My experience with these kits is that you cannot install them as per the original ford kits. The problem arises when installing the new seal. From a cleaned up housing: 1) I install the inner spring clip in the groove from the impeller side, making certain it is fully in place. Then the bearing is installed using a suitable sleeve that will push on the outer bearing collar (only) and OD of sleeve smaller than ID of pump housing. Press in until bearing is against inner spring clip. (Note spacer may be required on impeller side a of pump as shaft will stick past back pump housing before bearing seats against inner spring clip). 3. install outer spring clip in housing on pulley side making sure it seats in the grove completely. 4. Install slinger with a tubular driver whose ID is just larger than the slinger collar. Install at a depth of 1.5 inches from impeller end of shaft. ( I lathed out a driver out of aluminum that its internal depth stops at the right spot for slinger placement on the shaft) Install seal using a slightly bored out old impeller so it slides over pump shaft. Make sure seal end of old impeller is clean and flat. Press on back side of impeller (against seal sleeve end onto shaft) (pressing against front bearing shaft end) until outer seal body comes into contact with pump housing bore. (Impeller blades should be about 1/4 inch away from housing) Stop and slide off impeller and using a suitable tubular driver that only contacts outer edge of seal body, tap in seal outer metal body slightly into bore. Using old impeller again, push on seal end until impeller blades are about 1/8 inch away from housing. Remove impeller and using driver again, seat outer seal body into bore. DO NOT attempt to push the seal onto the shaft and into the pump housing bore in one go. Damage to the ceramic disc may occur (ie: being cracked or other seal components crushed) 6. Install front pulley pushing against bearing rear end of shaft. 7. Pushing against front end of bearing shaft, install new impeller pressing on back of impeller until impeller blades are between .030 and .040 inches from pump housing. Spin pump pulley by hand. There should be no scraping or other noises and a slight drag feel to the bearing spin. All operations can be performed using a suitable sized bench vice.

Note: Ford instructions called to install the pump seal first and press the bearing in after. The original seals did not have an inner sleeve like the new seals have which presses on the shaft quite tightly. If pushing in the bearing after the seal is installed, it will push the new seal components apart damaging them beyond repair. If the slinger is installed on the bearing shaft before pressing the bearing in the pump housing it will catch on the inner spring clip eyelets and distort the slinger.
radioman5959 is offline   Reply With Quote