Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Randy

Default Any 100% original restorations, past or present?

Many cars are modified from bone stock original (for good reasons, both functional and aesthetic), in all different varying degrees and I understand that. I appreciate 100% original restorations as well as mild upgrades, such as later flatheads, juice brakes, mild lowering, etc.

My question is, how many out there are restoring back to 100% original and what are you restoring? What are your reasons...authenticity, judging, personal preference, etc.?

Pics would be great.

Last edited by Randy; 01-11-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl
Default Re: Any 100% original restorations, past or present?

My 51 Victoria, finished June 2010, 100% stock Dearborn Award Winner. I love them all, stock, hot rods, unrestored, they are all great in my opinion.

jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
Old Henry

Beautiful car, JDL

Here's my 1947 Super Deluxe Fordor my dad bought in 1959 for $100.00. It's a family heirloom so it had to be stock original authentic through and through. Won 2nd place in the concourse division of the Early Ford V8 Club Western National Meet in St. George last October.

I personally don't mind "art cars" which is what I call anything different than original. Art has its place and probably more people like art more than like history. But, I have a very strong personal prefrence for "historical cars." When I'm at a car show, I get excited about any car that can take me back to its day and give me the experience of going back in time. When I show my car I even have original 1947 music playing on its radio and various 1947 memorabilia sitting on its seats to help people go back. Many quite enjoy the journey back in time. But, when I look inside of a car that looks like it might be authentic and see anything that's not, its like the modern penny found in Christopher Reeves' pocket in the movie "Somewhere in Time" that destroyed the illusion of being back 70 years before and whisked him back to the present never to return again. I quickly move on to the next car that looks authentic. They take me back. I love that as do many.

The only thing "customized" about my car is that I put a light in the hood ornament just 'cause I always wanted a lighted hood ornament and it does not destroy the illusion of the past at car shows but looks really cool at night. And, I have blue dot tail light lenses around town but not at car shows. Other than that, we're 100% authentic.

As to how many are restoring to original rather than customizing. It certainly seems like a lot more customized cars at car shows than any real authentic originals.

Here are pictures of all of the cars at that meet: http://picasaweb.google.com/ckpolan/...at=directlink#

Here is a nice gallery of past entries for each year: http://www.earlyfordv8.org/early-ford-gallery.cfm

Last edited by Old Henry; 01-11-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
jsemple6392

I'm just beginning restoration on a '47 business coupe. It will be my first 100% original restoration after many restomods & customs. I went to my first Early V8 show in '06 and I have been hooked ever since. Sorry, No photos of this one yet.
jsemple6392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsemple6392 View Post
I'm just beginning restoration on a '47 business coupe. It will be my first 100% original restoration after many restomods & customs. I went to my first Early V8 show in '06 and I have been hooked ever since. Sorry, No photos of this one yet.
Restoring a car to original is a rewarding effort. Lots of research and parts hunting! I don't think that you have identified the car correctly. There is a 5 window coupe and a sedan coupe, but no "business coupe" in 1947. Does your car have a full seat in the back?
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Beautiful car, JDL

Here's my 1947 Super Deluxe Fordor my dad bought in 1959 for $100.00. It's a family heirloom so it had to be stock original authentic through and through. Won 2nd place in the concourse division of the Early Ford V8 Club Western National Meet in St. George last October.

I personally don't mind "art cars" which is what I call anything different than original. Art has its place and probably more people like art more than like history. But, I have a very strong personal prefrence for "historical cars." When I'm at a car show, I get excited about any car that can take me back to its day and give me the experience of going back in time. When I show my car I even have original 1947 music playing on its radio and various 1947 memorabilia sitting on its seats to help people go back. Many quite enjoy the journey back in time. But, when I look inside of a car that looks like it might be authentic and see anything that's not, its like the modern penny found in Christopher Reeves' pocket in the movie "Somewhere in Time" that destroyed the illusion of being back 70 years before and whisked him back to the present never to return again. I quickly move on to the next car that looks authentic. They take me back. I love that as do many.

As to how many are restoring to original rather than customizing. It certainly seems like a lot more customized cars at car shows than any real authentic originals.

Here are pictures of all of the cars at that meet: http://picasaweb.google.com/ckpolan/...at=directlink#

Here is a nice gallery of past entries for each year: http://www.earlyfordv8.org/early-ford-gallery.cfm
I thought I would look at the St George link you posted to see what other angle I might see the cars at and found that it was my link that you posted. I was a bit surprised.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
Barry-ct

I am restoring a 50 F-1 pickup and when it's done, it will be 100% bone stock. It's been a challenge to find stuff for it these past 20 years I've owned it. I miss the old days of flea market hunting, but the internet has helped me find stuff I would never find in the New England area.
I've always been a purist at heart on all the cars and trucks I've owned. I respect others who modify or hotrod what they have, but mine will always be stock as Henry built it!

Barry

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
42panel

I’ve begun working on a 1942 Ford 1 ton panel van with a flathead six. It will be put back to 100% original. It’s a very complete vehicle with very little rust. It will be taken down to the frame and built back up again. Hopefully I’ll have it finished in time for the ATHS National Meet in Springfield MA in May of 2012. Richard
42panel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
Kube

I'm currently restoring a 39 Deluxe wagon and hope to start on a 39 convertible shortly thereafter. I've done a number of '39 & '40 Fords to a very high degree of both quailty and authenticity. Mostly coupes and convertibles. All have scored a minimum of 997 the first time out. Many of you no doubt have seen some of my cars once completed.
I am currently authoring the new '40 restoration manual for the Early Ford V8 Club of America. That said only that you may realize I am perhaps a bit obsessive-compulsive in my pursuit of a truly AUTHENTIC restoration. A 'bit' obsessive may be an understatement
Why do I do this? Well, my biggest thrill is the pleasure of seeing what I am personally capable of. The research, the hunt for the proper pieces, etc.,well, when it all comes together, to me, I have created a piece of art... no longer simply an old Ford but more a piece of history to (hopefully) be admired by future generations.

While I appreciate a well planned and well built custom, I do feel there is much more involved with a true top point restoration vs. a custom / refurbishment. There are after all no guidelines / criteria when customizing. Pretty much 'make it fit', 'make it pretty' and 'make it work' are all that's involved. The rest remains completely up to the builders imagination and personal skill level. Also reducing the challenge of a custom is the ease in which parts can be had. I have to beleive a 32 roadster can be built out of a catalog nowadays. Try restoring one and see the difficulty of that venue...
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
Brendan

Just keeping it on the road!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #11
Kens 36

Here is my '50 Crestliner. I bought it from the original owner in 1988 - that is the reason I wanted to restore it back to original. Drove it for almost 20 years while accumulating parts, completed the restoration in 2008 and won a Dearborn Award at the 2008 Grand National Meet in Dearborn.

Ken
Old 01-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #12
oldandtired

No pictures at the moment but have a 37 pickup that is stock. I also have a 35 pickup, but I cheated a bit and have a 37 block with blockoffs. Both are 6-V positive ground mechanical brake vehicles. I like them that way. Not interested in shows.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens 36 View Post
Here is my '50 Crestliner. I bought it from the original owner in 1988 - that is the reason I wanted to restore it back to original. Drove it for almost 20 years while accumulating parts, completed the restoration in 2008 and won a Dearborn Award at the 2008 Grand National Meet in Dearborn.

Ken
That car looks familiar.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #14
CJ Meyers

Beautiful Crestliner. Glad to see all original and not chopped. Still ironing out some issues on mine.

CJ Meyers
1950 Ford Crestliner
CJ Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #15
Randy

Those are some very nice examples of restored cars, great job guys!

I know there are more out there...

Any in-process restorations right now?
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #16
Scott H

Does 98% count?
I'd do 100% but don't have the knowledge or resources to get the right info at this time, and I really want to get it back on the road. I'm straying away from original colors on the wheels and body, but it will be period correct. Not adding any chrome do-dads to the motor and not gonna lower it, chop it, run bigger tires, or even radials.

Here's where I am so far, and also where I started. Since the second picture was taken I've got the frame back on jackstands and took out the rear spring. Shocks are sent out for rebuilt. Spring is dis-assembled, cleaned and painted and ready to go back together once I get the replacement end clamps.

frame 38 car.jpg

P1060011 (640x480).jpg
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:39 AM   #17
48-710

My '35 Roadster is cast to all four points of the compass in my shed. As the second owner,which we have had since 1963,it was 100% original unmolested car which is why I want to put it back as Henry made it. I'm equally at home at Grand National Celebration in Dearborn or at the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville KY.Just as long as the valves are in the block where they belong.
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #18
Vic Piano

Out of curiosity, what are you guys using as a criteria, or guide, to determine 100% originality for your particular restoration project?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #19
Scott H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Out of curiosity, what are you guys using as a criteria, or guide, to determine 100% originality for your particular restoration project?
That's just it, I dont' have a guide to show me the way. I look at as many 36 pickups as I can, I read as many forums as I can, I see what parts are available. Fortunately most are!

I was crazy into Mustangs for many many years. Saw lots of the neatest cars turned into trailer queens and really hated it. I really like staying true to original, but if you can't drive it what's the point. So I won't be searching high and low for NOS Ford parts to restore my truck. I will refurbish and rebuild what is there and make an effort to replicate factory finishes where possible. If bolts were originally black phosphate, well maybe on my truck they'll be sprayed with phosphate spray paint, but I won't be replating them just to dupliate a factory finish. Those procedures will doom the truck to a 10 yr restoration, and like I've said before I want to get this on the road...hopefully this summer!
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Vic, when I restore my '50 Ford, I will use it as my guide since it is, until now, a totally unmolested, 9 time Rouge winner. I just take lots of pictures.