Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2018, 12:20 AM   #1
jboggess

Default Temperature Gauge

Decided to install one of these gauges, so cool highly recommend it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Temp 1 .jpg (36.0 KB, 392 views)
jboggess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:39 AM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Temperature Gauge

Kool...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

I feel that a temperature gauge is the most important gauge to have .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #4
Bikerider58

Installed one this weekend. I found that the thermo qual is accurate although the gauge is more responsive.
Bikerider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
Purdy Swoft

No harm meant but not all of the thermoquail caps are accurate . The two that I have are not accurate. . Ive found that the flip top radiator caps are mostly good for ruining the radiator neck . I'm pretty sure that all of the temperature gauges aren't accurate either . I do prefer a gauge mounted inside the car where it is easy to read and out of the weather ...
Old 06-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Personally I don't trust a Thermoquail or Motometer as they are 'measuring' air temperature above the coolant. The bulb is not submerge in the coolant. I have always had good luck with SW gauges, plus I prefer the 270° dial.

Altho I like the look of the Quail or the Motometer, I went back to a plain cap because the locking cap is junk (from Vintique of course) and as Purdy pointed out, damages the filler neck.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 06-11-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

Right on Y-Block .That has been my experience , exactly !!!
Old 06-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #8
Badpuppy

Good to see these reviews. I like the quail look, was thinking about getting one. Temp gauge is a great idea, but I don't like the placement - spoils the look of the dash panel. Not too many options, though. Maybe I can figure out how to mount it on top of the radiator cap....
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #9
Y-Blockhead

Mine is mounted to the left of the steering column. I mounted it to the 'old' steering column support after I installed the late '31 support.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 06-11-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #10
jboggess

Your right, it does spoil the look on the placement on the dash, i do like the green and red on the gauge though.
jboggess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #11
John Stone

This is what I've used on my cars. Of course if you get one it probably will need to be rebuilt. Can spend a lot of money. They do look nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2380.jpg (42.1 KB, 218 views)
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #12
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Mine is mounted to the left of the steering column. I mounter it to the 'old' steering column support after I installed the late '31 support.

Like Purdy, I regard the temperature gauge as the most important addition to my touring cars. The late ‘31 style steering column supports are not available RHD so I made my own. When I made the pattern, I added thick gussets at the back so I could drill and tap holes to mount a plate to the back of the bracket. On this plate, I mount the temp gauge, turn signal warning lights (I hate forgetting to turn them off) and anything else I need. The gauge is in an ideal position for easy reading and out of the way (no tangling the hand brake lever). There are several cars around here now sporting one of these brackets.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #13
harryc

Rather than worrying about the temp (unless of course it boils) I find I have incredible peace of mind with my broken non working motometer
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #14
Davew

Have an arco temp gauge. According to two ir guns it reads 20 degrees high.
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #15
katy

Quote:
The late ‘31 style steering column supports are not available RHD so I made my own.
Got a picture to share?
Old 06-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #16
Badpuppy

Of course! Steering column! DOH!!

You guys are more creative than I am. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #17
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Personally I don't trust a Thermoquail or Motometer as they are 'measuring' air temperature above the coolant. The bulb is not submerge in the coolant. I have always had good luck with SW gauges, plus I prefer the 270° dial.

Altho I like the look of the Quail or the Motometer, I went back to a plain cap because the locking cap is junk (from Vintique of course) and as Purdy pointed out, damages the filler neck.
I, too, went back to the plain cap. And have a 270 sweep gauge on my steering column, up where I can keep an eye on it.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #18
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Got a picture to share?
Katy, I’m about 15,000 miles from home at the moment so I’m afraid I can’t help. Basically, if you look at a LHD bracket in a mirror, you have it but I made mine from cast and heat treated aluminum.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #19
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
...The gauge is in an ideal position for easy reading and out of the way (no tangling the hand brake lever). There are several cars around here now sporting one of these brackets.
Up here and inland some of us used to call that the Johnny bar, what you call the hand brake lever.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:54 AM   #20
PRG999

Where does one connect the light switch power wire to on these gauges?
PRG999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #21
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRG999 View Post
Where does one connect the light switch power wire to on these gauges?
When I turn on my dash light my temp gauge liights up...so dash light
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:26 AM   #22
CarlG

I have mine connected to the tail light circuit, so that any time any of the lights are on, it lights the gauge. (I also have the dash light connected that way as well.)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #23
Ed in Maine

I also was not satisfied with the temperature measurement for my Model A. My motor meter did not measure temperature accurately. I did some research on the internet and tried the following two schemes:
Measure Temperature with the transistor LM34. This semiconductor is tiny with three leads coming out of it. You can connect to it a resistor and a 9 v battery. Then with a digital volt ohm meter you can measure the millivolt signal coming from the transistor which is linear with changes in temperature (F) from -50F to 300F. It is accurate to ˝ F. I used very small wire (24-26 ga.) wire and fed it out of the radiator in the over flow tube into the engine compartment, then behind the kick panel inside the car. I use it as a test device not as an operational temperature monitor because I never figured out how to shield the sensor from the RF from the ignition. The readout jumps all over when the engine is running!
Measure Temperature with the Taylor Digital Thermometer #3516. This is the kind of digital thermometer that you use to measure the temperature of a roast beef. It disassembles easily so that you can mount the circuit board and digital read out into a Motormeter. They are less than $10.00 and are very accurate and while the read out is small it can be seen from inside the car. The Problem: The thermometer has an “auto off” feature which turns off the thermometer after 10-15 minutes. You have push the On button again to turn it back on. I couldn’t figure out how to defeat this feature and no one at Taylor Instrument could tell me either. Maybe someone at Ford Barn could figure out a fix. I enjoy playing with little projects like this. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:50 PM   #24
Badpuppy

I like your LM34 idea (LM35 for Centigrade offset). Try using 22/2 shielded wire -

https://www.alliedelec.com/belden-84...RoC72EQAvD_BwE

Unshielded wire makes a great antenna. Connect shield between +Vs and chassis ground, one wire between -Vs ("ground" pin) and -6V battery, and the other to the resistor connected to -6V. You may have to run several loops from the battery supply through a ferrite bead to quiet it down.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #25
PRG999

Thank You
PRG999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:10 AM   #26
Badpuppy

Just realized a problem with my suggestion - the shield currents will probably affect the circuit operation quite a bit. Shield should be grounded at one end only to be most effective, which means use a 24/3 shielded cable -

https://www.showmecables.com/catalog...8aAirFEALw_wcB

The 9V battery is a good idea too, since it won't introduce any electrical noise, and should last forever with that load.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #27
Ed in Maine

Badpuppy, Thank you for your suggestions for the LM34 transistor temperature measurement. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #28
Dave1929

I bought an ARCO temp gauge from Snyders. After installation I figured out that it was reading 60 degrees too low. I called Snyders and they promptly sent me another gauge. The new one didn't work at all. So two gauges in the trash, $49 down the tube and one $17 temp gauge from Harbor Freight I have a good working temp gauge. I will always have a working temp gauge.
Dave1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #29
pbishop

I bought a Sunpro gauge and placed it at the bottom of the instrument panel. It does look a little odd, but I can see it with a glance and that is a great comfort. I still have the motor-meter on top of the radiator - it just looks SO great with the 'wings' underneath.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:25 AM   #30
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Temperature Gauge

I always run an original Moto-Meter and they work for me.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #31
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I also was not satisfied with the temperature measurement for my Model A. My motor meter did not measure temperature accurately. I did some research on the internet and tried the following two schemes:
Measure Temperature with the transistor LM34. This semiconductor is tiny with three leads coming out of it. You can connect to it a resistor and a 9 v battery. Then with a digital volt ohm meter you can measure the millivolt signal coming from the transistor which is linear with changes in temperature (F) from -50F to 300F. It is accurate to ˝ F. I used very small wire (24-26 ga.) wire and fed it out of the radiator in the over flow tube into the engine compartment, then behind the kick panel inside the car. I use it as a test device not as an operational temperature monitor because I never figured out how to shield the sensor from the RF from the ignition. The readout jumps all over when the engine is running!
Measure Temperature with the Taylor Digital Thermometer #3516. This is the kind of digital thermometer that you use to measure the temperature of a roast beef. It disassembles easily so that you can mount the circuit board and digital read out into a Motormeter. They are less than $10.00 and are very accurate and while the read out is small it can be seen from inside the car. The Problem: The thermometer has an “auto off” feature which turns off the thermometer after 10-15 minutes. You have push the On button again to turn it back on. I couldn’t figure out how to defeat this feature and no one at Taylor Instrument could tell me either. Maybe someone at Ford Barn could figure out a fix. I enjoy playing with little projects like this. Ed
You might try a length of Ethernet twisted pair cable. Strip off plastic shield, inside are four twisted wire pairs

Or leave cable shield intact for run near engine and run one pair up overflow tube as copper tube shields any noise from wire inside.

FWI the pairs of twisted wires change direction every foot of so ... Purpose is to reduce interference. So be careful removing sheilding to not disturb wraps.

Category 6 cable has better noise rejection as it has more twists per foot than Category 5.

Might be worth a try!

Last edited by Benson; 08-19-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote