Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Aerocraft

Default 1934 repo bumpers.

The original bumpers off of my low milage Fordor appear almost too dinged up to be replated. Is there a "best" supplier of reproduction bumpers or are they all made by the same manufacturer. I searched the forum threads and can't find an answer. What should I look for when I buy a pair? Thanks !

Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
DICK SPADARO

Default Re: 1934 repo bumpers.

There are now two sources of 34 bumpers naturally the US one that has been making them for years and now an off shore company.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Lawson Cox

Replate your originals if possible. Repro ones are too thin, not made from spring steel, and don't have nearly enough chrome on them. Stainless are too dull. My 2 ¢
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
Fe26

I'm with Lawson.

Also, as you have a low mileage car it would be a shame to replace original parts. These things do take some work to straighten. A heavy hand hammer and a selection of Dollies will get the job done, or if you have a Blacksmith nearby he will be able to do the job.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft View Post
The original bumpers off of my low milage Fordor appear almost too dinged up to be replated. Is there a "best" supplier of reproduction bumpers or are they all made by the same manufacturer. I searched the forum threads and can't find an answer. What should I look for when I buy a pair? Thanks !

Gar Williams

Please post photos of your "dinged" original bumpers so as to assess the possiblity of rechroming them. Do all you can to keep original bumpers on your car as a tribute to Henry Ford. Plus, when you go to a car show, CARS DO TALK TO EACH OTHER. Don't embarass your car by making it have to admit it's not wearing the genuine real steel.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 06-09-2012 at 10:11 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
Scott/Mn

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I bought a repro '34 bumper from Sacramento vintage Ford a while back, advertised as "spring steel". It was so soft and thin that the steel bent out of shape when my 12 yr old daughter (normal size kid) leaned against it at a car show.
Scott/Mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
lee34

The original 33 & 34 bumpers had a ( 0 ) stamped on the back side. sometimes only a partial of the 0 made contact leaving a ( c ) . Both of mine are stamped on the left side (while looking at installed bumpers) lee34
lee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

If I had a low mileage car I would post an ad in the wanted section and be patient. It would be a shame to use repros.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #9
31chevy

I have done both (original replated & repros) I would go for replating the originals, much better quality & price is about the same. I was in a hurry & bought a repro I don't think I will do that again.
Gary.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

I agree with others who are advising you to stay with original bumpers, re-chromed if necessary, rather than buying reproduction. I was at a street rod show last weekend and I noticed that almost every old Ford that I looked at had reproduction bumpers. It got to the point that I could spot them easily from 10-15 feet away.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
Aerocraft

Thanks for all the good words!

It appears to me that what I have in one original and one repo bumper. The grooves on the front are significantly different between the two. What appears to be an original has a sharper edge and the number 5 stamped in two places on the back. The second bumper has no number stamped on the rear face an a groove that was done with a different die with a larger radius.

The car came out of a large Southern California collection of Ford flatheads and it is my understanding the the now deceased owner was not a purist. He had installed a 59AB, converted it to 12 volts, and covered the seats with black vinal over the original upholstery. The car had not been finished when he passed away. It is a standard Fordor and had been poorly resprayed in black a long time ago. I have refinished it in coach Maroon with Black fenders. I have the correct engine to install at a later date.

Thanks for your advice, I am now looking for a pair of original bumpers and will have them replated at my favorite "triple" chrome shop.

Gar Williams
Old 06-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
PeterC

Interested in digging deeper re repro bumpers - Are units that Drake offers one of the two that you reference Dick - are all known repro's "thinner" than original? I know they are not "spring" tempered. Are they not true on in shape and design detail?
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
Milt K from Pa

I have a pair of Drake steel repops and they are definitely thinner, though look pretty good. I have a 'VERY" rusty original and if you pick them up, one in each hand, there is no doubt of the weight difference. If I had decent originals. I would go with rechroming.

Milt K from Pa
Milt K from Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #14
dude

12 years ago bought(bd) repos. After 7 years the chrome started showing pit rust on the front. Used XXX steel wool and plate wax, they dulled. Thin chrome. Had my origianl bumper rechromed, Much happier. Repo bumper for short term, rechrome for long term. JMO
Old 06-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
GeoMaher

My '34 Ford P/U presently has a fairly nice auto bumper on it needing replateing if someone has a fairly nice 1934 Ford P/U commercial bumper that needs replating.
George Maher (Fargo, ND).
GeoMaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
Aerocraft

I followed the suggestion about weight differences between original and reproduction bumpers. I was surprised as to how much heavier are the originals. Now to find a good spring scale that I can take with me when I go shopping for an original. It is a great way to identify the original bumper. Gar Williams
Old 06-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #17
klicker

I'm pretty sure there is some repro trim on my 39.... is there an easy way to tell if my bumpers & guards are original? (I know my running boards are repro, they are stamped "bob drake" on bottom.)
klicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:54 AM   #18
Aerocraft

What I have been told is that there will be a stamped number on the back of the bumper. My "expertise" is primarily Model A's which also had a stamped mark on the back of original bumpers. That at least should be a start. Gar Williams
Old 05-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
Double-00

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICK SPADARO View Post
There are now two sources of 34 bumpers naturally the US one that has been making them for years and now an off shore company.
Do you have any chromed 1934 Ford Coupe bumpers for sale in good condition ??

John 908-580-1536 or [email protected]
Double-00 is offline   Reply With Quote