Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #41
rockfla

Default Re: What are the must haves for you're shop?

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. @HOOP the last 24hrs have been a discussion of A/C (either a mini split OR a appropriate window unit for the size) for sure SO once "said" shop is built A/C is first, then a lift. I cannot do a toilet Unfortunaetly but a utility sink is a for sure thing. Right now I'm planing a 24 X 36 shop "ONLY" for one project at a time BUT it's not concrete yet!!! NO pun intended!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:22 AM   #42
deuce5wndw

If I was designing my shop now I would want a "dirty" room for bead blast cabinet, belt sander with buffer, mig welder and grinders. All of the above make it hard to keep clean for engine assembly or?
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #43
19Fordy

Storage area.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #44
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Storage area.
I'm planning on doing a Conex carport to. Two conex's on each side with a carport between them so I can park the enclosed car trailers and or our dually under it and have both conex's for parts storage!!!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:17 AM   #45
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce5wndw View Post
If I was designing my shop now I would want a "dirty" room for bead blast cabinet, belt sander with buffer, mig welder and grinders. All of the above make it hard to keep clean for engine assembly or?
Excellent advice.

I have my two stage air compressor outside of my shop. It's in its own room that I built on to the rear of the shop to keep noise down.

If your building a shop have an area for all the dirty work and a separate area for final assembly.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #46
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W/Norfolk View Post
Looks like Seth has done his homework. I'd add 4-5 angle grinders with an assortment of cutoff, flap and wire brush wheels. Saves time having to change things out between uses.
Just my 2¢. dw
I have about 90% of what is on my list.

I'll even add that our compact track loader has come in handy for lifting heavy parts or loading and unloading pallets of engines.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #47
rockfla

Storage like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (6.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #48
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
I’d be happy just to have a roll up door for getting cars in and out of it easier. Opening and closing the two 8’ x 12’ insulated doors gets old fast.
Yes, that's why you left them open when we were up there visiting. Phil
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #49
Mart

Two things spring to mind. A good set of taps and dies, with tapping drills, for the threads you expect to encounter. I prefer good quality used rather than new cheapies.

One thing that I find useful is a small compressor, not one for spraying, just one that can be fired up when needed. Mine kicks in when I turn on the lights over my lathe and mill. In my modest shop, by the door I have a retractable air hose reel. I can reach any car inside the shop, and any car parked outside. I can air up the tyres, or use it to blow stuff away when machining, or for instance a little blast around the plug holes before removing the plugs. I can plug further hoses into it to reach the front of the house. It's really a very handy thing to have and being small, airs up quickly and saves running a big one when all you want is a little puff of air.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #50
Hoop

Aside from hand tools, the first "shop equipment" I bought was a small floor jack from Montgomery Wards and a small Sears air compressor with a tank. As Mart says, that compressor was the handiest ... and the jack was "big time."

I still have the jack and use it. Also have two bigger ones that are indispensable.

BUT ... how many of us have bought shop equipment that we rarely or never use. Like my plasma cutter. Somehow I really thought I had to have one.

Instead of a list of "must haves", how about a list of "didn't have to's?"
Old 07-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #51
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Storage area.
You can never build it big enough it seems, with the two vehicles and equipment I'm maxed out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1157.jpg (77.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1158.jpg (86.5 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1159.jpg (103.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1160.jpg (83.6 KB, 92 views)
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #52
Hal Beatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39portlander View Post
You can never build it big enough it seems, with the two vehicles and equipment I'm maxed out
Yeah... More Square Footage!
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #53
skidmarks

As for the air compressor, a main shut off valve keeps the tank full and the building is plumb all the way around with drain loops for moisture
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:51 PM   #54
cas3

tools have been covered, so i'll move on to the building. some small tasks are still done in the driveway by me, so face east for warm sun on cool mornings, and shade in the afternoon. doors on gable end so no gutter needed. no such thing as too much insulation even in florida. the earth under the building stays cool and the insulated shop above it will be at least cooler than outside temps, and a small window AC unit will take out the humidity and keep the place comfortable for cheap. best insulation is spray foam for several reasons. one, it is air tight so no drafts or bugs will be in the shop. mice do not like it, so no nests or other destruction like fiberglass. and it actually gives a building more strength for high winds. 30 x 40 is a good moderate size, not too big to heat or cool, and enough room for some machines and a couple projects. thats a shop size, not mass storage, thats another building. 6" concrete will never give you any trouble cracking. high ceiling if you want a hoist. i have several large eyelets mounted in the ceiling to lift motors and things out of the back of a pickup, and hang stuff for painting. a large rack for the hardware division, i like to have the hardware store at home. enough thoughts for now
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:24 PM   #55
35fordtn

I work in my shop in early v-8 stuff daily and I have about 85% of what was on Seth’s list. My most used items are a parts washer cabinet (automatic) and my two blast cabinets one has fine and the other coarse, I also use my Sun Machine daily. I’d highly highly recommend a refrigerated air dryer, best investment I’ve made in terms of air lines. Also highly recommend LED lighting and lots of it.

I use my blast cabinets a LOT, and have a 2300 CFM dust collector rigged up to two dust deputy’s, and vented outside. That was a major improvement
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #56
Tinker

Skip I have a 30x35. They quoted me 14k to sprayfoam it. I know it's the way to go in the north.

I always buy a box of bolts/nuts/washer/screws instead of a handful or what I need. It's cheaper for me to spend the money then on a box (and have it), then drive into town.

Isolating loud equipment is nice.
You guys visited here?
https://www.garagejournal.com/

As far as don'ts. I think the only thing I had was a scissor lift for a bit. Could only really do wheels and brakes. My father-in-law had a driveup ramp he made with concrete. Maybe 3 ft of space under. Very useful. Tools are a different story really. Having a good hub puller is super nice. Don't use it much but when needed it's nice.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-09-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #57
30-9

Access to Ford Barn and Youtube
Old 07-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #58
VeryTangled

I know it's not politically correct these days, but I love a garage with a pit to work under the car. A lift and a pit is what I'd do if I was building a place. Some folks have their pit built into a slope like a bank barn would be, that stops the "danger" from heavier than air explosive gasses collecting in it. With either device, I love standing up while working under a vehicle.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #59
Terranova

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
I also use my Sun Machine daily.
Not to hijack the tread, but do you have any pics or video of you using your machine?
Terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #60
Mart

If you look for my recent thread with the finding a squeak video you can see me using the taps and dies and the air. It was while doing that job that I thought of this thread. I just used the air a few minutes ago to blow the dust out of a second hand electric motor.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote