Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
Ian1932

Default Industria Argentina

I have a flat head with these heads. Can anyone shed light on these? I have a bunch of heads these ones are the only that say industri argentina. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2380.jpg (51.3 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2381.jpg (55.4 KB, 113 views)
Ian1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
flatheadmurre

Default Re: Industria Argentina

Ford argentina started by making model T´s and ran until the war started...as parts got harder to get they slowed down to only selling spares they could make locally.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #3
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
Ford argentina started by making model T´s and ran until the war started...as parts got harder to get they slowed down to only selling spares they could make locally.

Cool history! Thanks for the reply. I tried to search it out but counldnt find anything...
Old 11-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
DavidG

With respect, Ford Argentina was not the manufacturer of those heads, otherwise they would have Ford script or FOMOCO on them depending on when they were made. They are aftermarket parts, like the reproduction grilles, etc. For decades Argentina was a closed economy (like its neighbors, Paraguay, and Uruguay) and anything imported was sky-high expensive and new cars, even those made locally like the Falcon in the case of Ford Argentina were also extremely expensive.

With a mild, relatively dry climate favoring the preservation of automobiles, there were lots of cars of the thirties still in everyday use even into the early '90s out of economic necessity. Hence the growth of a cottage industry making cast iron heads to replace the aluminum ones which succumbed to cavitation and collision parts such as the grilles. Some North American old car parts vendors imported some of these parts, particularly before Bob Drake's business took off beyond initially making locking gas caps and glove box liners as well as Dennis Carpenter's business as it expanded beyond a very modest beginning.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

And most of the Argentina parts I have seen were pure junk, makes the China parts look great!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:24 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post

Some North American old car parts vendors imported some of these parts, particularly before Bob Drake's business took off beyond initially making locking gas caps and glove box liners as well as Dennis Carpenter's business as it expanded beyond a very modest beginning.

This is very true, David. I know that Tommy Traylor got rich building Specialized Auto Parts in Houston in the '60s and '70s importing that Argentine baloney. Can't begin to tell you how much money I threw at that place buying garbage parts that didn't even begin to fit any old Fords that Henry built. '33-'34 windshield frame that looked beautiful and fit like a square peg in the round hole, and who can forget the B-3311 tie rod ball studs that were way too big.....friggen' worthless junk, much of it! Besides J C Whitney at the time, Specialized was about the only other game going in those days. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:29 PM   #7
corvette8n

I just removed a gas tank sending unit that was made in Argentina, needless to say it wasn't working.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #8
DavidG

And yet locally they permitted the survival of a lot of desirable cars with an extremely high mix of open cars because of the climate (in the northern and central parts of the country where the population was concentrated). While I haven't visited Argentina for some time now, perhaps the workers who paint the lane stripes are now shown some respect as the lane discipline used to be the worst in the world. Of all of the cars that I imported from there, only one did not require that all four fenders be replaced.

Don't get me wrong; it is a beautiful country with a generous population, outstanding food and wine. and Buenos Aires is truly the Paris of South America. My time there ranks up with the best of them.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:16 AM   #9
redmodelt

They made parts for a lot of different makes of cars. T's, A's Chevrolet's etc. There are still a lot of the parts on cars even today that were made by them.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #10
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
With respect, Ford Argentina was not the manufacturer of those heads, otherwise they would have Ford script or FOMOCO on them depending on when they were made. They are aftermarket parts, like the reproduction grilles, etc. For decades Argentina was a closed economy (like its neighbors, Paraguay, and Uruguay) and anything imported was sky-high expensive and new cars, even those made locally like the Falcon in the case of Ford Argentina were also extremely expensive.

With a mild, relatively dry climate favoring the preservation of automobiles, there were lots of cars of the thirties still in everyday use even into the early '90s out of economic necessity. Hence the growth of a cottage industry making cast iron heads to replace the aluminum ones which succumbed to cavitation and collision parts such as the grilles. Some North American old car parts vendors imported some of these parts, particularly before Bob Drake's business took off beyond initially making locking gas caps and glove box liners as well as Dennis Carpenter's business as it expanded beyond a very modest beginning.

David, what do you mean ford script? It does have "ford in the casting" Im not going to use this engine because it is just a block with heads and an intake, the innards are gone. I think a few of the the other engines would be much better candidates to rebuild...
Old 11-05-2019, 09:21 AM   #11
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
I just removed a gas tank sending unit that was made in Argentina, needless to say it wasn't working.

I've been fooling around with a gas gauge sender that has no markings at all. Is there a way to identify a oem sender; ie. KS vs. an Argentina made sender?
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #12
DavidG

"Ford script" is the name Ford spelled out in script form (longhand, if you will), not in block letters.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #13
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
This is very true, David. I know that Tommy Traylor got rich building Specialized Auto Parts in Houston in the '60s and '70s importing that Argentine baloney. Can't begin to tell you how much money I threw at that place buying garbage parts that didn't even begin to fit any old Fords that Henry built. '33-'34 windshield frame that looked beautiful and fit like a square peg in the round hole, and who can forget the B-3311 tie rod ball studs that were way too big.....friggen' worthless junk, much of it! Besides J C Whitney at the time, Specialized was about the only other game going in those days. DD
My only personal experience was set of '40 running boards I had purchased back in the early 70's. Like you say... total garbage and a waste of money.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #14
Karl Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

At risk of hijacking this thread, A good friend of the family Jim Davis (rip) of Portland was a buddy of Tommy Traylor in the early days. Jim would fly out in September meet up with Tommy who would take his truck and try to hit as many Ford dealers as they could between Texas and Pennsylvania for old stock parts. They would then go to Hershey to sell what they could, then the rest of the loot provided the seed for Specialized with Jim cherrypicking stuff to ship back to his store in Portland. By the end of the 1960's most Ford dealers had been picked over so Tommy started substituting what aftermarket stuff he could get cheap. Argentina then Taiwan.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #15
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
At risk of hijacking this thread, A good friend of the family Jim Davis (rip) of Portland was a buddy of Tommy Traylor in the early days. Jim would fly out in September meet up with Tommy who would take his truck and try to hit as many Ford dealers as they could between Texas and Pennsylvania for old stock parts. They would then go to Hershey to sell what they could, then the rest of the loot provided the seed for Specialized with Jim cherrypicking stuff to ship back to his store in Portland. By the end of the 1960's most Ford dealers had been picked over so Tommy started substituting what aftermarket stuff he could get cheap. Argentina then Taiwan.

Tommy DID have some cool, and even rare NOS stuff sitting in the glass display cases. He also had some used pieces from time to time. I do remember buying a super-nice, very presentable used '34 grill about 1966 for $25. But much of that Argentine repro stuff was just awful. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #16
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Last edited by JSeery; 11-05-2019 at 11:38 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:56 PM   #17
DavidG

Yes, Jim Davis, rest in peace. A tour of his basement and garage was a real experience.