Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
tintop

Default 34 gas pedals

Howdy all, I have a question are the gas pedal assemblys the same for both flathead v/8 and 4 clylinder cars the same? Yes,,,, Im new to all of this, Im trying to build up a 34 coupe, its definately a challange for me. Ive talked with a couple of folks (via phone) from the ford barn and they have been very nice and helpfull. I cant thank those few that took the time to talk with me enough! I just wanted to add that a couple of freinds that live in my area have been kinda trying to talk me out of running a flathead drivetrain in my build. Talk about getting confused!! Their logic is run a sbf,, or sbc, with an auto trans, 8or 9 inch rear, and drive anywhere anytime in comfort. So,,,I keep scrounging up parts here and there for the flathead build. This is getting expensive!! to say the least. LOL So without further adoo I could use to positive imput on all of this, as well as a gas pedal assembly. If anyone lives in the Riverside Calif. area wouldnt mind me bouncing a few questions at them from time to time let me know or pm me. Thanks guys Joe
tintop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: 34 gas pedals

Joe,

I am not completely familiar with the '34 (I have a '32). I am sure they are different as they are on a '32 since the carb on a v8 is near the center of the engine at the top and the 4 cylinder is way to the right and much lower. I assume here that you are talking about the whole gas pedal assembly and not just the spoon (which is probably the same). Be sure to get a copy of the Restoration Guidelines for the 1933-34 cars from the Early Ford V8 Club (earlyfordv8.org). You are much better posting questions than bouncing them off a single person because there will be a lot of people seeing and commenting on the answer.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:55 PM   #3
DavidG

The actual pedal is the same, but everything else about the accelerator assemblies (V-8 versus four) is radically different. The location of the carburetor, as Charlie indicates, dictates the differences. As a result, for example, the throttle control with a four is cable operated through the accelerator. On a V-8, the throttle control is a rod completely independent of the accelerator assembly.

In the photo below, the accelerator assembly at the top is for a LHD four, the one in the lower left corner is for a V-8 (less the pedal portion). (Ignore the one in the lower right corner as that is for a RHD four.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33-34 four-cylinder accelerator assembly.jpg (38.0 KB, 20 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
flathead 53

I have one like the one you show at the top picture, never new what it came off of
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
tintop

To Charlie Stevens, and DavidG thanks for Your replies on my 34 accellerator questions. David the pictures You posted were great, they helped me know what one to buy. Charlie, yes You are right I need to get the Ford book You suggested, also on bouncing ides off the ford barners. I dont know if Im embaressd because I know so little, or if its that pride thing that gets in the way. So, Ive decided to post any and everything (I dont know) from now on the heck with it! Thanks again gentelmen. Joe
tintop is offline   Reply With Quote