Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #1
wrndln

Default Gas tanks clamp id ??

I have a couple gas tank clamps that I don't know what they fit. I am pasting in two pictures of them below. I have quite a few 28/29 gas tank clamps and these are similar, but a little longer and a slightly different shape. I know they are not the two piece 30/31 gas tank clamps. I think they are model A clamps, but not really sure. I would appreciate if someone that knows what they are used on could post a response.
Rusty Nelson

wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Gas tanks clamp id ??

Gosh they sure look like the 28-29 clamps, except a little longer and on steroids. It even has the angle cut on one side.

I know about the extra tab/bracket for the kick panel (frequently seen with a loop and grommet for wiring/tubing.)

Maybe a precursor to that? Or made long to put the bracket/loop at some position?

It may be described in one of the service parts books.

Joe K
Old 01-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #3
caboose

Rusty,

my cars, etc., are at the farm (and, I'm not), but these look like the ones I removed from our 29 Phaeton.
caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
wrndln

I think I will post another picture with one of the unknown clamps and a normal (not on steroids) 28/29 clamp. This is not a big deal, as I only have 2 of the mystery clamps. I am just curious.
Rusty Nelson
Old 01-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #5
wrndln

OK, I found a regular 28/29 gas tank clamp and a 30/31 two piece clamp and took some pictures of them and the mystery clamp side by side. As you can see, the mystery clamp is much longer and has a slightly different shape then the 28/29 and much different than the two piece 30/31 clamp. If you notice, the mystery clamp has much more distance from the clamp end (open end) to the bolt that goes through the cowl and gas tank holes. It is closer to the 30/31 clamp in this respect. Due to this greater distance, I don't think the mystery clamp would work on a 28/29 gas tank. I am starting to think maybe the mystery clamp is an early 30 clamp, before Ford when to the split version gas tank clamps. Note: the mystery clamp and the 30/31 two piece clamp appear to have about the same open end to the bolt dimension.
Rusty Nelson

Old 01-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
Joe K

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Or possibly a clamp used on the fordors? Don't the Murray/Ford tanks go "inside" the cowl with a hole in the top of the cowl for the filler neck?

And there might be a different clamp to hold it there.

Check out the service parts bulletin, possibly one from "later" in the Model A era (my reprint has Model B stuff in it, but Ford was pretty good about parts support for earlier models.)

Joe K
Old 01-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #7
wrndln

Thanks, Joe. I guess that is a possibility. I realize that the gas tank was mount differently in a fordor, but I have no idea how. Maybe someone with a Briggs or Murray will let us know if the clamp is used on one of those cars.
Rusty Nelson