Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: How come my car isn't even worth scrapping?

Mentioning someone living on an ISLAND reminded me of a local scene.
I see EXPENSIVE tow vehicles, with FABULOUS Boats behind, headin' for one of our MANY Lakes & Reservoirs, for a day of boating!
On the other hand, I picture a HUGE, Ocean going YACHT, towing a 4 X 4 on a small barge.-----"Where you goin' with thet thing"?-----"We're lookin' fer an ISLAND, with ROADS"!!!!---Sounds like a plot for a 007, James Bond Movie.
Boats & Boat Shops ARE a BIG business, here!!---And Folks think I'm KRAZY?????
Bill Dreamingagain

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 03-26-2018 at 07:32 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #22
mike657894

The OP hasnt been back. But he may have just been dealing with those first wave craigslist lowballers.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #23
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Cab View Post
Well on the “bright” side of this discussion is that if I live long enough maybe the price of Model A’s will come down to where I can afford a 30/31 Phaeton.

Ok, here is something to think about....

I have been in this hobby for about 50 years. Since it is the year 2018 now, lets go back 50 years to 1968, ...then forward to 1978, then 1988, then 1998, then 2008, followed by 2018. If we compare the prices of any Model-A in any of those decades vs. one or more decades later. tell me which decade the same Model-A was worth less than what it was valued at in a prior listed decade. They haven't declined. Each year, comparing apples-to-apples, the value has been greater for the same vehicle than it was 10 years prior.

The hobby as a whole has not declined in any of the decades I mentioned, --nor has the prices dropped in a subsequent decade for equal cars. What HAS changed is the stated quality of the vehicle being marketed. Misrepresentation is way more rampant than what it was a decade or two ago. Adding to that, the Buyer was typically more versed on what they were buying. In this day & age where web knowledge is supposed to be doubling every few years, the typical Model-A hobbyist that can actually work on these things is seemingly declining at about the same rate as knowledge is doubling.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:29 PM   #24
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
The OP hasnt been back. But he may have just been dealing with those first wave craigslist lowballers.
Remember, this guy is on some South Pacific Island. No craigslist, I betchya.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #25
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
Note to self....Don't put mrtexas on my preferred seller list.
My thoughts exactly. Hopefully he didn't take $20 to adjust the horn I mean come-on. If you did that shame on you. And in the original post this fellow was griping about people not giving him what his car is worth Sounds like he doesn't have a problem taking $$ from people and abusing them with mis-represented cars.

Model A's, GOOD Model A's not 10 pounds of bondo in the body Model A's by the way, still fetch a good price. There are a lot of screwed up Model A's roaming around out there.

And, a GOOD two door Deluxe Phaeton or any '30-'31 Roadster is going to be sought after for longer than any of us are going to be around. There is a demand for these cars. Or else, why would Brookville put all the money into fabricating the '30-'31 Roadsters, '32 Three window Coupes and Roadsters, '40 Ford Coupes if there wasn't a market?
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:03 AM   #26
ronn

I have been in this hobby for about 50 years. Since it is the year 2018 now, lets go back 50 years to 1968, ...then forward to 1978, then 1988, then 1998, then 2008, followed by 2018. If we compare the prices of any Model-A in any of those decades vs. one or more decades later. tell me which decade the same Model-A was worth less than what it was valued at in a prior listed decade. They haven't declined. Each year, comparing apples-to-apples, the value has been greater for the same vehicle than it was 10 years prior.

Brent, couldnt agree with you more, but do consider the dollar is worth about half of what it was worth 20 years ago...............

in that case, model A's are cheaper today.

PS great on you for offering that workshop in April-that is an unbelievable offer
and what a stand up guy you are, not that there were ever any doubts!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:00 AM   #27
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Brent, couldnt agree with you more, but do consider the dollar is worth about half of what it was worth 20 years ago............... in that case, model A's are cheaper today.

PS great on you for offering that workshop in April-that is an unbelievable offer and what a stand up guy you are, not that there were ever any doubts!

While that may be true about the dollar's buying power is less, that premise is pretty much unilateral throughout the economy when you compare Model-As to other commodities during both time-frames. The one thing we must always remember is comparing to other marques during the 1928-31 era, the Model-A was a cheap car. Comparing the Model-A to other vehicles during the last 50 years, the Model-A has always been a cheap car. That has always been good for the hobby.

Thanks for the kind thoughts on the other.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #28
WHN

[QUOTE=BRENT in 10-uh-C;1610356]While that may be true about the dollar's buying power is less, that premise is pretty much unilateral throughout the economy when you compare Model-As to other commodities during both time-frames. The one thing we must always remember is comparing to other marques during the 1928-31 era, the Model-A was a cheap car. Comparing the Model-A to other vehicles during the last 50 years, the Model-A has always been a cheap car. That has always been good for the hobby.

I agree with everything you have said.

I do have one comment. Yes, Model A’s and T’s were inexpensive cars for there day, and they built a lot of them. But! How many other cars from that period can still be driven around daily, and have as large a percentage of there orginal production run still in existence? Being cheap and simple is what has kept them going all these years. Remember the old saying, “keep it simple stupid”. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:26 AM   #29
Jeff/Illinois

I guess this all comes back to that old saying, 'Buy what you enjoy, what makes you happy.' And, don't fret over values and the like.

How many of us go out and buy a brand new car at $45,000 only to see it worth half that in five years or so We don't fuss over that!

A couple years ago I was overseas and had a Ford C-Max car to drive. I loved that thing, and it got great fuel mileage. Now I see them at a local Ford dealer for $23,000. So, that said, buy that nice antique car and a new Ford C-Max to beat around in you will be ahead of the game. The depreciation difference in a more expensive Ford, will buy that little Ford, and you can have your collector car too.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #30
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
How many other cars from that period can still be driven around daily, and have as large a percentage of there orginal production run still in existence? Being cheap and simple is what has kept them going all these years. Remember the old saying, “keep it simple stupid”. Enjoy.

I believe this often is spoken because it seems believable to us however I also believe it is a huge misconception often spoken. Please understand that a 1929 or a 1931 Chevrolet that is in the same exact condition mechanically as a counterpart Model-A will do EVERYTHING that a Model-A will do, ...and possibly do it a little better. The same can be said for a '29 Dodge Victory 6 or a '31 Dodge DH. My late father has both of those vehicles and I will tell you that both the Dodge and Chevrolets were as good of quality, -or possibly even a little better mechanically than the Ford was. Therefore, a correctly restored Model-A along with a correctly restored Chevrolet or Dodge should go anywhere, for any length and do it reliably. If someone wants to drive one of those Dodges or Chevrolets as their daily driver, those cars will do it equally as well as a Model-A can.

Two things that allowed the Ford to outlast the Chevrolet is body construction and dealer network. Both the General Motors' products and the Chrysler-built products were manufactured to cater to a higher clientele or social-economic owner than what the Ford did. Taking the Chevrolet for example, they did not sell that many open cars for a reason back then. People that had a little money typically did not want an open car for their family's daily transportation. Therefore Chevrolet sold WAY more Coupes & Sedans in comparison to Ford selling Roadsters & Phaetons. The downfall for the Chevrolet was the same downfall as many of Ford's Fordors in that the infrastructure was constructed of wood. That in a nutshell is why Ford outlasted the Chevrolets. The second side of this was Ford had a phenomenally strong dealer network. Back then, much of America was still rural and Ford had an agency in almost every town that had 500 or more people. Chevrolet didn't have near the dealer network, ...and even with that handicap, Chev. still outsold Ford by 3 to 1 in 1931.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #31
KUDZUVIPER

I agree with most of what Brent stated, one small point, Chevy outsold Ford in 1931 619k to 615k units, not quite 3 to 1.
KUDZUVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #32
slammin

This has been a very interesting discussion. What puzzles me, not another word from the OP in 3 1/2 days. I haven't heard of any South pacific island sinking!
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #33
Benson

Maybe his Model A broke down during the trip out to Uluru

edited:
Sorry ... the red sand and rocks in his old car repair videos on The Old Ford Barn look alot like that area.

Last edited by Benson; 03-28-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #34
updraught

>>>Maybe his Model A broke down during the trip out to Uluru

Along with New Zealand we have our own continent.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:16 PM   #35
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
>>>Maybe his Model A broke down during the trip out to Uluru

Along with New Zealand we have our own continent.
Everything I have read says that NZ is not a continent and is not part of the Australian Continent.
FWIW, Australia is the world's smallest continent, the only island continent, the only continent under one government and the only one to have never seen a civil war, except Antarctica. It is geologically the oldest continent, home to the oldest surviving culture and yet the most recently white settled continent, again excepting Antarctica. (The Australian Aboriginal culture is about 60,000 years old.)
Back to Model As!
Old 03-28-2018, 06:50 PM   #36
updraught

Might narrow it down a bit if description is correct

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyne...ture_Areas.jpg

Last edited by updraught; 03-29-2018 at 04:23 AM.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote