Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
Art Bjornestad

Default More on Brumfield heads

A week ago or so I wrote about my buddy that had lost 2 head gaskets. The engine was rebuilt with .080 sleeves and hot cam etc. It blew again this morning so I went over to see the head removal. It was one of Larry's heads and it was warped about .0035 between 2&3. Upon further exam the real culprit was a silicone gasket that had been installed. The gasket hangs into the combustion chamber and was badly burned after 30 miles. I asked why he used that gasket and the builder had supplied him with a handful.

Moral of this story....make sure you follow Larry's advice on gaskets!!! This guy had the head off 3 times and was just about to do it again. The builder was at fault and this guy does not have a computer so how was he to know..he does now. I lent him a stock head to make the run up the the National meet.
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
Bassman/NZ

Default Re: More on Brumfield heads

We automatically think that everyone has a computer, but probably 2/3 of car people I know either dont, or only use one for emails and doing their accounting.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Larry Brumfield

"Follow Larry's advice on gaskets ...."

It's best to follow Larry's advice from A to Z.

Moreover, Brumfield customers don't need a computer!

All they need to do is follow the instructions that come with each head and not listen to Joe Bob, the toothless engine builder, who thinks he knows how to "Git 'er done"

If they don't have a copy of the instructions (such as with a car that has changed hands) merely use some common sense and inquire about the manufacture of the head. Almost everybody knows someone with a computer hooked to the net. Also, public libraries allow people to use their computers and will even look things up for you if you don't know how.

There's nothing complicated about running Brumfield Heads. The installation methods, re-torque procedures, etc., etc., apply to all flatheads run on Model A's. The difference is the greater the compression pressure (running cylinder pressure) the more exact things have to be. Now if the Model A block had as many studs as the early Ford V8's to clamp the head, the installation of high compression heads like the Brumfield Heads could be as sloppy as with the stock heads all these years with limited problems. The 14 stud clamping power of the stock head was not intended for real high compression (high for a Model A that is). However, as you all know, we do things to overcome like using Grade 8 studs and Grade 8 nuts, higher torque amounts, machining a grove around the combustion chamber for a seal, etc., etc..

Larry B.
Larry Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
modelaonly.com

larry knows his stuff!!!
modelaonly.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
Fred A

Default Sherbet in the Klondike..

Not worried about the Waco guy, but Art or his friend reporting that huge warpage then finding that all was well had he only... When I reported some warpage on a Bumfield head the response was strangely defensive, but when the numbers grow and apologies fly. At least we don't have to till the boneyard for Larry is with us. This site is much more liberal about producers of a product taking up residence which in most cases provides us with resident experts. Guys like Richard have set a high bar for guys like, if he even notices. May have to start any thread with "Cylinder Head". Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
Purdy Swoft

Cool Re: More on Brumfield heads

Fred A, You sentences seem to stop short. Sure hope you aren't drinking that infernal poison!!!!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
Fred A

Default Something in the Sauce?

I'd do well to watch my grammar. Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote