Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
wolfords

Default Flathead V8 Problem

I have a flathead V8 8BA engine with two Holly AA94s.

If you let off full throttle then it's okay (like at quarter throttle), but when you accelerate beyond that it acts like it's starving for fuel or the advance isn't working (but the advance is working). I've had both carburetors rebuilt, messed with the timing, put a new blue streak coil on it, messed with the jets and I'm running the factory distributor. It also smells rich at idle and acts lean on top end.

Any ideas?
wolfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:34 AM   #2
flatheadmurre

Default Re: Flathead V8 Problem

Start by putting a vacuum gauge on it.
This will tell you what powervalves to aim for.
To big number powervalve and you have rich condition on idle/cruise.
Real hard to tune an engine on distance.
Get an Air/Fuel gauge and install it in the car takes a lot of the guesswork away.
Fuelpressure gauge is also in my setup when tuning an engine.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:35 AM   #3
mfirth

You said "factory distributor"...if you mean the stock Load a matic, there is your problem.
Lots of threads on this by people much smarter than me.
Try bubba, charlie new york, & tubman....they have solutions! m
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
Frank Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfirth View Post
You said "factory distributor"...if you mean the stock Load a matic, there is your problem.
Lots of threads on this by people much smarter than me.
Try bubba, charlie new york, & tubman....they have solutions! m
He says the advance is working but I wonder how he knows. If it is advancing the curve may not be right.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:00 AM   #5
OhioRick

A bad condenser will have this symptom.
OhioRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #6
richard crow

do you have those little air filters with the paper element remove them & try it
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #7
revkev6

as others said, the distributor is not able to advance correctly with multiple carbs. you need a single ported vacuum signal for it to work as it should.

to test, disconnect and plug the vaccum, manually set the timing to 14-18 degrees and take it around the block. timing will be locked with no advance when you disconnect the vacuum. if it runs better, get a distributor that doesn't use ported vacuum. bubba makes electronic conversions, and many others sell mechanical advance units.
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #8
chap52

Just FYI: I am running an 8BA with two 94's, a Howard M6 cam and with Bubba's converted GM distributor. Also along the way Charlie NY advised me to block both Power Valves. I balanced them using a Uni-Sync and I experience no stumble or studder. This worked for me. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #9
wolfords

Who sells mechanical distributors? Thanks for your help.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #10
john in illinois

What do your spark plugs look like? Sooty or tan or white?

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:49 PM   #11
chap52

Try Bubba's ignition for distributor and info. The GM conversion distributor I am running is mechanical.
Great guy to work with (Jim Linder) and always willing to answer your questions.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #12
Steve/IL

Check the gasket under the top cover of the fuel pump and at the bolt. If they aren't sealing properly, the pump will not generate enough vacuum to pull fuel through the pump essentially starving the carburetors on acceleration or under load.

I chased carburetor, distributor, advance and coil problems and vacuum leak problems at the carbs for a year before change the fuel pump upper gaskets. The engine now starts better and runs fine.

I'm still using a cork gasket under the cover. Does anyone make a fuel resistant rubber gasket for the fuel pump upper cover??

Last edited by Steve/IL; 09-23-2018 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Typo
Steve/IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #13
3blapcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfords View Post
I have a flathead V8 8BA engine with two Holly AA94s.

If you let off full throttle then it's okay (like at quarter throttle), but when you accelerate beyond that it acts like it's starving for fuel or the advance isn't working (but the advance is working). I've had both carburetors rebuilt, messed with the timing, put a new blue streak coil on it, messed with the jets and I'm running the factory distributor. It also smells rich at idle and acts lean on top end.

Any ideas?
Like others have said, stock distributor is a "no go" with multi-carbs. It doesn't receive the correct vacuum signal to function properly. Bubba's, Pertronix or maybe find a Mallory dual point mechanical advance. Bubba's will steer you right as he is very knowledgeable about early distributors.

Once you get that sorted out, then you can figure out what your fuel pressure, PV's or plugs, etc. and go from there!

Good luck!

3blap.
3blapcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:54 PM   #14
flatjack9

I have Charlie, NY build my conversion distributors. Can't beat-em.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #15
Sid

Are you running power valves in both carbs.? As posted earlier check manifold vacuum divide that number by 2 and go with that power valve. (15 in vacuum would = a 7.5 power valve etc. Also only run one power valve. Second power valve should be plugged. Also on the second carb. idle screws should be turned all the way in and throttle blades should be completely closed. The second carb is only a (dumper) Vintage Speed in Daytona Beach Fl. has base plates designed for this omitting the idle screws and and throttle closes completely. You also need to watch some power valves that come in the kits as the tip at the end is too large and interferes with the housing. Late Holley power valves do not work on Holley 94'S. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Sid; 09-23-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:26 PM   #16
Tinker

On a two carb 8ba I'd lose the vacuum distributor for sure. Not sure how you would make it work well otherwise. Charlie can handle it, no issue, or get a chevy conversion from bubba.

Then work out your 94? 97? carb issue. They make vacuum carb sync equipment available if you need.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:38 AM   #17
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfords View Post
Who sells mechanical distributors? Thanks for your help.
Mallory has an electronic dist. with just mech. advance. i believe it is 12 volt. Mark
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #18
tubman

I would avoid an electronic distributor, especially with a 6 volt system. A points distributor doesn't care about voltage; the coil does. Also, beware of new Mallory flathead distributors. They have been known to come with SBC advance curves that are too aggressive. My personal opinion is that if you want to go with a Mallory dual point, get the best older unit you can find, either an original flathead unit or one for an SBC which can be converted for use in an 8BA.

Last edited by tubman; 09-24-2018 at 10:12 AM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #19
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Are you running power valves in both carbs.? As posted earlier check manifold vacuum divide that number by 2 and go with that power valve. (15 in vacuum would = a 7.5 power valve etc. Also only run one power valve. Second power valve should be plugged. Also on the second carb. idle screws should be turned all the way in and throttle blades should be completely closed. The second carb is only a (dumper) Vintage Speed in Daytona Beach Fl. has base plates designed for this omitting the idle screws and and throttle closes completely. You also need to watch some power valves that come in the kits as the tip at the end is too large and interferes with the housing. Late Holley power valves do not work on Holley 94'S. Hope this helps.
This is fine if you are using progressive linkage. However I do not recommend this kind of setup. Run both carbs with straight linkage.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:07 PM   #20
wolfords

Thanks for all the suggestions. It sounds like it's power valves and distributor. Both carburetors have 7.5 power valves. I ordered smaller ones to put in this week. Everyone says I need a mechanical distributor. This is an original 6 volt. I don't want to put electronic on it. I need an old Mowery. I'll keep checking. Thanks again!