Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default Victoria Front Seats

My 190A is very difficult to get into, especially the driver's seat because the space between the "A" Pillar and bottom seat cushion is very small.

The seats in my 190A have hinge rods which are adjusted to place the front seats in their maximum aft positions.

Does the later ratchet type seat mechanism allow the driver's seat to go further aft?

Is there a set of modern car seats that work in the 190A?

I would appreciate photos of things that can be done to make ingress & egress of the car better.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Victoria Front Seats

I have early Mustang seats in mine, with Mustang slide mechanisms. The builder of my Vicky was short, I am tall with big feets. I moved the seats back 4" from where he had them. I now get in with little trouble, as long as I point my size 12's in the right direction. Speedway Motors in Nebraska have aftermarket adjusters that work well with the stock seats.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
ronn

I am surprised, because my vicki had more front seat room then any other model I have ever owned............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
My 190A is very difficult to get into, especially the driver's seat because the space between the "A" Pillar and bottom seat cushion is very small.

The seats in my 190A have hinge rods which are adjusted to place the front seats in their maximum aft positions.

Does the later ratchet type seat mechanism allow the driver's seat to go further aft?

I would appreciate photos of things that can be done to make ingress & egress of the car better.
Bob:

My Vic has the sliding driver's seat. I am 6' and with it all the way back I have plenty of leg room.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:27 PM   #5
BillEbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post

Can you say AMEN brother?! I have the darndest time getting my size 12's in and out of my Vicky!! (Have to grab the hem of my pants and pull my feet out of the way!)

I, too, am researching what seats might work out well. Not sure if I will go with "buckets" or a split bench seat. I was made aware of wiseguys-seats.com -- thinking I may find an appropriate seat there.

Anybody else found something that works?

Cheers!

Bill
BillEbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
BillEbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
I have early Mustang seats in mine, with Mustang slide mechanisms. The builder of my Vicky was short, I am tall with big feets. I moved the seats back 4" from where he had them. I now get in with little trouble, as long as I point my size 12's in the right direction. Speedway Motors in Nebraska have aftermarket adjusters that work well with the stock seats.
I am extremely curious to know how Mustang seats can fit in your Vicky! They are considerably wider than the 22" space available in the Vicky, aren't they?
Old 11-29-2017, 04:41 AM   #7
BillEbob

No other takers, huh? CERTAINLY some of you "Vicky" owners can weigh in here -- we want to hear your opinions!

Bill Williamson -- how about one of your 'pithy' remarks? LOL!

Bill
Old 11-29-2017, 06:52 AM   #8
donh

I've thought about moving the seats back for my wife. Never have. She gets in an out okay, but that's only my opinion. Its the old case of don't ask, don't go there if you know what is good for you.
donh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #9
BillEbob

I'm looking for recommendations of specific cat seats that will work in the Victoria. Guess I'll start a new thread under that specific title.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #10
Jim Brierley

BillEbob, I can't answer your question but I know others that have also installed Mustang seats in A's, mine came to me that way. I assume they modify the springs???
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #11
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillEbob View Post
I'm looking for recommendations of specific cat seats that will work in the Victoria. Guess I'll start a new thread under that specific title.
If you have the adjustable drivers seat that slides on a track you may be able to remove the seat, drill new holes in the wood sub frame and relocate the seat rearward to a position that is comfortable to you.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:49 PM   #12
Bob Bidonde

Thanks all for your responses. I am 5'-6" with 8-1/2 EEEE feet and 75 year old bones. It is very difficult to get into the front seats of my 190A. However, it is relatively easy to get into my 45B Coupe.

Jim, I would appreciate some pictures of the front seats in your 190A.

My first attempt will be making my 190A like Tom Endy's. However, I will be incorporating the factory ratchet type seat mechanism on the driver's and passenger's seats.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:44 PM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
No other takers, huh? CERTAINLY some of you "Vicky" owners can weigh in here -- we want to hear your opinions!

Bill Williamson -- how about one of your 'pithy' remarks? LOL!

Bill
Quote:
I'm looking for recommendations for specific car seats that will work in the Victoria. Guess I'll start a new thread under that specific title.
You may not be getting answers because we all have original seats and never thought about anything else.

Now, this might sound like I'm putting you off but let me suggest you post your question on the HAMB site as they talk about hot rods and would know the best on the what and how of your front seat questions.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:58 PM   #14
Bick in New Zealand

Hopefully Quick change will see this and post an answer, because I know when he restored his Vicky he used the front seats out of some Japanese car, that worked a treat. The great part was that to the casual observer, they looked like they were factory fitted.

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote