Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
19-c

Default Problems with new aftermarket 1940 ford brake shoes

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I purchased a new set of 40 ford brake shoes from bob drake and I can’t get my drums on. It seems like they are too thick? I arced them to the brake drums and tried everything. The front drums are .020 over and still will not slide over the shoes. Rears are nearly new drums and will not slide over shoes either. All shoes are adjusted all they way inward. I did have a very nice set of original Ford shoes that I put on and they work perfect. I did notice the new shoes are full length where as the fords have a short leading shoe. I basically took the new shoes off and threw in the corner. I’m puzzled am I missing something?
Thanks!
19-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:50 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Problems with new aftermarket 1940 ford brake shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19-c View Post
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I purchased a new set of 40 ford brake shoes from bob drake and I can’t get my drums on. It seems like they are too thick? I arced them to the brake drums and tried everything. The front drums are .020 over and still will not slide over the shoes. Rears are nearly new drums and will not slide over shoes either. All shoes are adjusted all they way inward. I did have a very nice set of original Ford shoes that I put on and they work perfect. I did notice the new shoes are full length where as the fords have a short leading shoe. I basically took the new shoes off and threw in the corner. I’m puzzled am I missing something?
Thanks!
* If you are 100% certain you have both the top and bottom eccentrics all the way "in", then no, you are not missing a thing.
* Both shoes being "long" is no issue.
* Are the thickness of the shoes themselves the same as the original? I know some repop shoes were thicker than the original and thus would not allow the lower cams to adjust. Why? The metal plate would bottom out on the shoe and in a way "clamp" it down.

* By chance, did you replace the rear parking brake cable at the same time as the shoes?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
19-c

I had the same problem with the front brakes also. I am certain that the adjusters were in. The original Ford shoes are like new and when I put them on the hubs slid right over and I had no issues. Tomorrow It’s definitely something with the new shoes. Very frustrating. I can’t tell you how many times I had them on and off the backing plates trying to figure out what was wrong. Im going to run the ford shoes but I still would like to diagnose the problem.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
alanwoodieman

could the lower adjuster be adjusted out--remember the dots should be directly across from each other, both on the inside. a friend had a problem with some on a 39 coupe and that is what it turned out to be.
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:40 PM   #5
tubman

Not quite the same, but it illustrates the problems that can exist with later replacement brake shoes. I bought a set for my '51 several years ago. When I went to install them, the web that the slotted pin that goes to the wheel cylinder fits on was made of metal that was thicker than the slot in the pin. No way they would fit without modifications to the pin. I never used them and I think they're in the back of a shelf some place. When I took the original brakes apart to replace the shoes, I noticed that the car had it's original Ford script brake shoes, so I had those relined.

So no, you're probably not doing anything wrong; there'as a lot of junk out there.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:50 PM   #6
Tim Brown

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I recently had the same problem with aftermarket shoes purchased from C and G ford. We had brand new drums that wouldnt fit over the shoes. And yes, I did arc the shoes to true them up and they still didnt fit. It seemed to me that the lower anchor holes were not located in the right place. I ended up using some older shoes that fit. I called C and G and questioned the fellow over the phone. I have 4 sets of C and G shoes still in the box if anyone is interested..
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:02 PM   #7
J Franklin

If the shoes are defective send them back. that may solve 2 problems.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:16 PM   #8
George/Maine

If you have original shoes there are holes for rivets.
You don,t want the linings to go father then 1/2" pass rivet then chamfer back.
Must likely they are hitting on top. Horz measurement should be less then dia of drum.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:00 AM   #9
Mac VP

There was a run of brake shoes not long ago that had the lower anchor pin hole punched in the wrong spot, causing the problem you described. Compare this hole from the new shoes to your oem shoes to see if that’s the issue.

The long shoe vs short shoe is not how Ford did them, but it’s not a problem in usage nor is it the problem here.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #10
john in illinois

I had shoes that did not fit. Returned them and bought a set from Mac VP They fit perfect and were long and short as original.

John

Last edited by john in illinois; 02-21-2018 at 12:55 PM.
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

While were at this, IF you have a short and a long shoe, doesn't the short shoe go toward the rear of the vehicle? Rule, Long shoe goes on the larger diameter of wheel cylinder side. And I agree with Mac VP, with the early Ford brakes, short vs long or both equal length is not a big issue.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #12
19-c

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
While were at this, IF you have a short and a long shoe, doesn't the short shoe go toward the rear of the vehicle? Rule, Long shoe goes on the larger diameter of wheel cylinder side.
The short shoe should be the leading shoe or placed to the front of car. Sounds like I’m not the only one that has this problem. I bought the shoes from a private seller on eBay they were new in the box but now I’m realizing it’s probably why he sold them haha. I will inspect the holes further today I’m guessing they are some of the ones that were stamped wrong
Old 02-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19-c View Post
The short shoe should be the leading shoe or placed to the front of car.
That's why I posted on the short shoe vs long shoe, there is a lot of confusion on the subject! On Bendix brakes the short shoe is the leading shoe, on Lockheed brakes the short shoe goes to the rear. All you have to remember is the long shoe matches the larger diameter end of the wheel cylinder.

Mart here on the Barn calls it the Big-Big rule, which helps keep you straight.

Last edited by JSeery; 02-21-2018 at 08:50 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #14
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
That's why I posted on the short shoe vs long shoe, there is a lot of confusion on the subject! On Bendix brakes the short shoe is the leading shoe, on Lockheed brakes the short shoe goes to the rear. All you have to remember is the long shoe matches the larger diameter end of the wheel cylinder.

Mart here on the Barn calls it the Big-Big rule, which helps keep you straight.
Times two. Absolutely correct.
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #15
19Fordy

I don't remember the source but, years ago I read that 40 stock brake shoe
linings were .14 in. thick
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #16
Seth Swoboda

Just a tip: when replacing rear brakes, disconnect the parking brake cable before and re-adjust and install after. If you don't disconnect the parking brake cable first you will have problems putting the drums back on.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #17
19-c

Well upon further inspection there seems to be some differences that may be contributing to the problem. It appears that the bottom holes in shoes may have been stamped incorrectly. Something doesn’t look right. Here’s a pic comparing the original Ford to the new aftermarket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4A9D249D-6033-4A43-BA34-EDD3883E5332.jpg (25.5 KB, 688 views)

Last edited by 19-c; 02-21-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #18
alanwoodieman

a "make it fit " cure might be to grind off the lower portion of the shoe to more comform to the original Ford shoe--guess the Chinese mfg just doesn't pay attention to detail. I would bet all the incorrect shoes can be traced back to one mfg/dealer
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #19
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
a "make it fit " cure might be to grind off the lower portion of the shoe to more comform to the original Ford shoe--guess the Chinese mfg just doesn't pay attention to detail. I would bet all the incorrect shoes can be traced back to one mfg/dealer
The manufacturer typically can't be blamed. However, the wholesale purchaser certainly can be.
Places that actually care about what they sell to their clients have what is simply called "receiving inspection". If the piece is not made to their specifications it is rejected. Or, again, if the wholesale purchaser doesn't care, they accept it and pass along the inferior product to their clients.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #20
32phil

Most of the repro parts dealers are "Non value added retailers" They just buy stuff and pass it on at a profit. Can't hate them for trying to make a buck. BUT I think some of them could do a better job of "receiving inspection" as Kube said.
If they don't take the defective parts back......no problem....just make sure you pass the word and NEVER buy from them again.