Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2020, 09:42 AM   #1
glennpm

Default Maine Machine Shop to Replace wheel Bearing Races?

Hi,

I'm planning on removing the 1940 rearend from my 32 in the months to come to do a variety of jobs on it. One of the tasks I may do is replace the wheel bearing race or races depending on what condition they are in. I know the left side was not the greatest but didn't take pictures when I assembled it so not sure what I'll find and whether I have a line of pits all the way across the surface.

Are there any Mainers that have a good machine shop source. i live in the mid-coast area and found one shop online located in Ellsworth which would be a reasonable drive for me. I also PM'd Walt Dupont but know he doesn't frequent here any more and relies on his daughter for email help. This is the place I found but a good shop around Brunswick or Portland would be better. I'm looking for a proven quality shop for obvious reasons.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&u act=8&ved=2ahUKEwjy_sOXur3oAhXuc98KHVIGDyMQFjAAegQ IARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mainemachineshop.com%2 F&usg=AOvVaw08Z6Pk0jIuqEJkdJkaqmFx

Glenn

Last edited by glennpm; 03-28-2020 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Fix URL
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Maine Machine Shop to Replace wheel Bearing Races?

It takes a big machine, whether a lathe or grinder to swing that end of the housing due to how far the spring hanger sticks out. Someone I talked to, the machine shop they had theirs done cut the hangers off and welded them back on so be careful.
I wonder if a place that grinds big diesel crankshafts could take the bad surface off, shrink fit a new sleeve and polish to correct dimension?
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
glennpm

Yes, and I wouldn’t even consider cutting and reselling the hangers. We have a lot of diesel powered ships here so the shop I referenced may have the capability. I haven’t contacted them yet.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 03-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #4
glennpm

Spell check, argh ... rewelding
Old 03-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #5
flatford8

Glenn.... pm’ed you some info...Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:07 PM   #6
skidmarks

You dont need a super large lathe. About a 18" swing. I ve done them with a carbide tool bit. Center the bell end in a 4 jaw chuck and made a pilot for the wheel bearing end. And dial it in. Takes longer to set it up then maching it

You need to get the replacement sleaves from the columbia rear guy which a thinner then the ones mac sells. Interference fit and press them on
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #7
T Scott

Glenn, Give the Boothbay Railway Museum a call. I believe they have a good sized lathe that they use for machining locomotive parts. Besides being railroad buffs they are also vintage car guys and they might be willing to help you out. Also try Jim Fortin in Augusta 207 623 4154. I know Walt used to use him extensively for machine work and balancing. Bearing Specialties or Motion Industries in Westbrook and Portland could most likely fix you up with the sleeves. Scott
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:07 PM   #8
glennpm

Thanks for the contact info and the lathe dimensions!

Glenn
Old 03-28-2020, 01:12 PM   #9
glennpm

I didn’t even think of Boothbay and I’ve gone all through the shops there. And I have the WW&F narrow gauge museum in my own Town !!
Old 03-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #10
glennpm

Hi,

Do you know what the dimensions of John Connolly’s sleeve are? I’d like to have that so I could ask the shop about how much grinding is involved although as said, setup time would take the most.

Thanks,
Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
You dont need a super large lathe. About a 18" swing. I ve done them with a carbide tool bit. Center the bell end in a 4 jaw chuck and made a pilot for the wheel bearing end. And dial it in. Takes longer to set it up then maching it

You need to get the replacement sleaves from the columbia rear guy which a thinner then the ones mac sells. Interference fit and press them on
Old 03-28-2020, 04:20 PM   #11
skidmarks

Roughly .135

You have to measure each one but thats a close enough estimate to give them a idea .

The mac version is like double that making the original pretty thin and sketchy.
Make sure there are no square edges, has to be radius to prevent a crack starter

Im building a 3.54 for a 41 ford pickup and when through 6 sets of housings and all of them had issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 133995.jpg (29.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-28-2020, 04:22 PM   #12
glennpm

Thank you!

I like the thinness of it.

Glenn
Old 03-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #13
glennpm

Re. Cracks, Definite yes on insuring a radius
Old 03-28-2020, 05:35 PM   #14
skidmarks

Thats the approximate wall thickness of the sleave, so divide that in half when turning the original down.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:32 PM   #15
bobH

Quote:
Roughly .135

You have to measure each one but thats a close enough estimate to give them a idea .

The mac version is like double that making the original pretty thin and sketchy.
Make sure there are no square edges, has to be radius to prevent a crack starter

Im building a 3.54 for a 41 ford pickup and when through 6 sets of housings and all of them had issues.
I can 'second' that measurement... Actually, the ones I have, measure about .125 wall thickness.
Mine came from C&G... Pretty sure that John Connley's come from the same place. I've had mine quite a while, probably since Clyde and Gayle were there. Mine are available, the car is long gone.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:07 PM   #16
Brian

If you can't find a lathe that can swing the housings as is, I seem to recall our clever contributor Mart from England going through the same dilemma, and overcoming it by heating and bending the spring hangers inward, sufficient to clear the limitations of his lathe, afterward heating and bending back to original specs....
be better than cutting off and then re-welding.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:09 AM   #17
glennpm

Hi Skidmarks,

You’ve got me curious about the “pilot”. Did you make a bung with a center hole that was hammered into the bearing end? I wonder if a large diameter cone at the tail stock would work. The cone to engage the ID of the bearing end.

Glenn

[QUOTE=skidmarks;1867090]You dont need a super large lathe. About a 18" swing. I ve done them with a carbide tool bit. Center the bell end in a 4 jaw chuck and made a pilot for the wheel bearing end. And dial it in. Takes longer to set it up then maching it
Old 03-29-2020, 07:49 AM   #18
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Thats the approximate wall thickness of the sleave, so divide that in half when turning the original down.
If that is the wall thickness, then this is what you'll need to turn/grind the original down by.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:59 AM   #19
Frank Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
If that is the wall thickness, then this is what you'll need to turn/grind the original down by.
Actually double the wall thickness. If the thickness is 0.125 you'll end up with a 0.250 smaller diameter.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:03 AM   #20
skidmarks

[QUOTE=glennpm;1867364]Hi Skidmarks,

You’ve got me curious about the “pilot”. Did you make a bung with a center hole that was hammered into the bearing end? I wonder if a large diameter cone at the tail stock would work. The cone to engage the ID of the bearing end.

Glenn

Quote:
Pilot was a tight fit but not hammered in. It worked better
Then the bull nose pilot i had.

I was fixing a set that were pitted on the bottom but didnt have alot of wear and was able to find a area to that the dial indicator rode smooth on.
Some you find worn badly out of round from the weight of the car pushing up against the bottom of the race caused by a number of issues. But i have noticed some being softer then others when cutting them. The heat treatment doesnt go too far past the race . When we cut them off in the past for making drop in axles we cut them with a portaband saw

Turning the compound dial you divide the amount you want to take off per cut in half.