Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #1
DKnapp

Default Another SCAM

Here is a response I got to a car I advertised. SCAM, SCAM SCAM

Hi,
Thanks for the photo I do appreciate it..However,we can proceed
with the sale by
providing your details such as Name that check will be payable
to,mailing address,cell
phone number in order to instruct me Associate to issue the check as soon as
possible and deliver to your doorstep via USPS service
respectively...Once the check
deliver my mover/shipper will come for the pick up as soon as the
transaction is
seal..Beside shipping cost and expenses will be added to the check in
which you will
transfer the reminder to the cargo company that will arrange for
logistics and pickup
from your location deliver it to my doorstep...Hope that's clear ?
I await your reply,
Kevin

I just responded that it would be a CASH sale only - and then they would have to meet me at my bank to certify the cash is not counterfeit.
DKnapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:34 PM   #2

Default Re: Another SCAM

Yup real common. I sold an oven on Craigslist for 40 bucks not to long ago and was surprised that they even do it for low dollar items. Basically the people that fall for this are called mules as they are doing a form of money laundering from larger criminal acts such as intercepting money intended for escrow and such. I’d expect at least one of these now days if your doing things with the general public.
28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:32 AM   #3
Synchro909

The poor English is a dead give away. We call it "Chinglish"! That has scam written all over it.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:59 AM   #4
chap52

I always tell them we can complete the transaction at my wife's office so she can notarize it. She works at the local Police Department. No one ever follows up, huh!
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #5
frank55a

And some people wonder why I generally request payment via USPS money order. I have been targeted 3 times with similar scams (never lost a dime or part). The first time it smelled like a rotten fish but played along until I received the payment (very similar story as post #1), so I contacted the company the the bank draft was drawn on and they told me it was a fake and they changed account numbers. Next I contacted the the States Attorney and was told this was a typical SCAM with lot of this going around and since the originating address was not in our state there was nothing they could do. So I contacted the FBI, had a very insightful discussion with the agent, the bottom line the agent said do not have any further contact with them at all. The one plus was the SCAMMER was out about $25 for the cost of the over night FedEx envelop.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Sounds similar to ones I posted on MAFCAs SCAM PAGE, when I was selling Minerva. It said, "GERMAN ENGINEERS" would pick up the car. That title translated, was TRUCK DRIVERS.
Read my accounts on MAFCA SCAM PAGE.
When I replied, "YOU'RE A SCAMMER"---They ALL just went away! DON'T, I repeat, DON'T play GAMES with them, they're DANGEROUS! It's like walking through FLAMES, laced with VENOM! I would NEVER sell ANYTHING on the INTERWEB, AGAIN!!! Just sell stuff LOCAL.
Bill Careful

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 04-17-2018 at 09:55 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank55a View Post
And some people wonder why I generally request payment via USPS money order. I have been targeted 3 times with similar scams (never lost a dime or part). The first time it smelled like a rotten fish but played along until I received the payment (very similar story as post #1), so I contacted the company the the bank draft was drawn on and they told me it was a fake and they changed account numbers. Next I contacted the the States Attorney and was told this was a typical SCAM with lot of this going around and since the originating address was not in our state there was nothing they could do. So I contacted the FBI, had a very insightful discussion with the agent, the bottom line the agent said do not have any further contact with them at all. The one plus was the SCAMMER was out about $25 for the cost of the over night FedEx envelop.
Sometimes, just sometimes an attempted scam works for the intended victim.
I have a friend who has a business making, distributing and selling 4WD pars and accessories. He received an order from Nigeria for about $80K worth of stuff but smelled a rat so said he wasn't going to send it till he received a BANK CHEQUE for the FULL amount. The cheque duly arrived and he took it to his bank to verify it was OK. They said (in writing) it was. Still not confident all was well, he delayed dispatch. The next day, his bank called to say that the cheque was a dud after all and that they would deduct the $80K from his account. He waved the written confirmation the bank had given him in their face and said that they won't deduct the $80K at all after saying the cheque was good. He ended up with $80K in his account and the parts on his shelf.
Needless to say, this guy is blessed with the luck of the Irish. Why does nothing like that ever happen to me????
Old 04-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #8
Phil Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Sometimes, just sometimes an attempted scam works for the intended victim.
I have a friend who has a business making, distributing and selling 4WD pars and accessories. He received an order from Nigeria for about $80K worth of stuff but smelled a rat so said he wasn't going to send it till he received a BANK CHEQUE for the FULL amount. The cheque duly arrived and he took it to his bank to verify it was OK. They said (in writing) it was. Still not confident all was well, he delayed dispatch. The next day, his bank called to say that the cheque was a dud after all and that they would deduct the $80K from his account. He waved the written confirmation the bank had given him in their face and said that they won't deduct the $80K at all after saying the cheque was good. He ended up with $80K in his account and the parts on his shelf.
Needless to say, this guy is blessed with the luck of the Irish. Why does nothing like that ever happen to me????
So he basically scamed the bank out of there 80K Yea they messed up but he's not any better in my eyes for keeping it than the guy that sent the bank check to him
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:55 PM   #9
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Brown View Post
So he basically scamed the bank out of their 80K Yea they messed up but he's not any better in my eyes for keeping it than the guy who sent the bank cheque to him
No, he didn't scam the bank at all. They stuffed up and he made sure he wasn't the one who paid for it.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:25 AM   #10
Synchro909

It seems to me that you guys do not consider your banks to be a holes like we do. They are soooo bad here that the Government has been dragged kicking and screaming into conducting a Royal Commission into them. A Royal Commission is as serious as they get. The stories coming out of it so far are so bad that there is talk of time behind bars for some bank execs. Their ripoffs have been going on for years so the public regards them as scum and it's always open season on them, just like they have treated the public.
Given this appearant disparity in banks' reputations over there and here, I understand why some of you think my friend did the wrong thing. No one here does!
Old 04-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #11
Railcarmover
BANNED

The one sure way to see if he is a scammer is to wait till the check clears..once it does,release the car. I've sold parts overseas before,and the customers typed in broken english but their money was good.I sold a car by paypal once..that was a matter of timing,he paypaled me the funds while the car hauler waited.Once I transfered the funds out of my paypal account I released the car.

Not saying their isnt scammers,but alot of deals are lost between honest folks due to the fear.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:03 AM   #12
holdover

A few years ago I sold a backhoe on ebay for a lot of money, that went slick as can be. A few months later someone emails me from ebay, with a link to an ad, and asks if I am selling another backhoe. Someone copied the pics and the description and were selling it on ebay and craigs list. Now it is both buyer and seller beware.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #13
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdover View Post
A few years ago I sold a backhoe on ebay for a lot of money, that went slick as can be. A few months later someone emails me from ebay, with a link to an ad, and asks if I am selling another backhoe. Someone copied the pics and the description and were selling it on ebay and craigs list. Now it is both buyer and seller beware.
Funny,but by linking it to you the scam would never work.Done right you would never know about it.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

SERIOUSLY, when you suspect it's a SCAM, get out of it as QUICKLY & ABRUPTLY, as you can!!!!---When you think of a SALE & MONEY, your common sense goes out the window, along with the Babys' Bath Water!
I repeat, DON'T-DON'T play GAMES, with these EVIL PEOPLE! They "might" WIN. I say this from my OWN EXPIERIANCE!!!! (Like, a $23,000.00 COUNTERFEIT CHECK!) AND, REMEMBER, COUNTERFEIT HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLS are reasonably COMMON!---Pass one of those suckers & you "might" go to JAIL & do not pass GO & do NOT collect $200.00--NLOL
I'm SURE some of you have been "STUNG", but just won't ADMIT IT!!!--SHARE it with us, so others won't get "STUNG"!!!---Internet Crooks should be EXECUTED, along with DRUG DEALERS!!---YES, I'm STIRRED UP, you should be too!!!
Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 04-18-2018 at 09:55 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #15
foxfire42

It happens here on FORDBARN too. I bought a Webber setup from a FORDBARN member named Moon. He had me send the funds to an automotive business. Assuming incorrectly it was his business I sent the money. It happened to be a business he owed money to. He dropped of FORDBARN and disappeared. Needless to say the business owner would not refund my money. This happened a few years ago and I can't recall all the details or efforts to recover my money but for the $500 I tried everything.

I have had nothing but positive dealing with Barners since. They have all been the best and I've found parts I've been looking for for years.
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #16
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire42 View Post
It happens here on FORDBARN too. I bought a Webber setup from a FORDBARN member named Moon. He had me send the funds to an automotive business. Assuming incorrectly it was his business I sent the money. It happened to be a business he owed money to. He dropped of FORDBARN and disappeared. Needless to say the business owner would not refund my money. This happened a few years ago and I can't recall all the details or efforts to recover my money but for the $500 I tried everything.

I have had nothing but positive dealing with Barners since. They have all been the best and I've found parts I've been looking for for years.

Sorry to learn of your lose and that to a 'former' barn member.
Q: Did you notify Ryan/management, so that this guy might not be allowed to do same to other members ?

Your situation is interesting/timely from my viewpoint.
I've been involved in an exactly opposite/reverse situation as yours, i.e.- money owed me ; check sent from a business that owes buyer money(he said).

My opinion, on this subject: Be patient and let the BANK do the work of seeing if funds are valid or not.
I am not convinced that any BANK would put any such info in writing ...that money is good, PRIOR to that being verified as fact. I'm going to try requesting that (in writing) next time, although I already know their answer ...ha !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #17
leo

I think the real problem here is what frank55a alluded to and that is that there are virtually no consequences for the scammers. No, not just the ones overseas, the domestic variety too. The state attorney and the FBI say "not my job", well then WHO"S JOB IS IT? Everybody in law enforcement seems to have "bigger fish to fry" so Joe Sixpack is on his own. I recently had a mortgage broker tell me that wire transfers are now being hacked, the funds are intercepted during transfer from bank A to bank B and rerouted out of the country to some irresponsible location where there is no recourse. The FBI told the mortgage company that if it's anything less than $100,000 don't bother us. Unfortunately, we have ourselves to blame because we have allowed these law enforcement agencies both state and federal to become unaccountable for anything they do or neglect to do. In their defense the technology is changing so fast that law enforcement is handicapped in it's ability to keep up with the scammers.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #18
frank55a

revised see next post

Last edited by frank55a; 04-18-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #19
frank55a

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank55a View Post
And some people wonder why I generally request payment via USPS money order. So I contacted the FBI, had a very insightful discussion with the agent, the bottom line the agent said do not have any further contact with them at all.
With regard to this portion of what I wrote above. When I talked to the FBI agent, he told me that the counterfit/copy printing technology is now so advanced that the scammers are counterfitting USPS money orders. Therefore the USPS window clerk will not cash a USPS MO for more than $50 without approval of their office manager after checking the serial number to verify it is valid. Prior to this date, I had no problem cashing USPS MOs however, about a week after the FBI agent told me this every MO that I have received since for $50 or more gets checked/approved prior to the clerk cashing it which generally takes about 5 minutes. It is very simple, much better than the bank, if the USPS will not cash the MO it is no good - therefore I do not send the parts.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #20
rhphotord

Had a buyer say he was in the military and would send payment(Bank check) with a buddy to pick up a motorcycle I was selling. Told him to send his buddy with cash! Guess he didn't trust his "buddy" with cash...never heard from him again.
Scum bags all of them! Amazing how entrenched in our society this has become. Selling any item regardless of amount demands cash only and to be met in a public place during day light hours with a witness and perhaps a 2nd amendment insurance policy. Not that I am encouraging violence just caution!
rhphotord is offline   Reply With Quote