Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
drolston

Default Emblem Paint

I just received a small jar of Ford blue emblem paint from C&G to paint the word "Ford" on the hubcaps and the background of the V8 hood emblem on my '41 Ford Super Deluxe. Does blue go in the "Ford" stamp on the rear bumper?

What prep do I need to do to get the paint to stick on the chrome surfaces? Any tips on how to stay "inside the lines", other than a very steady hand, which I do not have?
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:57 PM   #2
fourfords

Default Re: Emblem Paint

Several years ago I took my '33 caps to an artist. I supplied the Ford Blue paint. They are still in great shape. I have noticed lately there are some reproduction wheel covers available already painted.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
I just received a small jar of Ford blue emblem paint from C&G to paint the word "Ford" on the hubcaps and the background of the V8 hood emblem on my '41 Ford Super Deluxe. Does blue go in the "Ford" stamp on the rear bumper?

What prep do I need to do to get the paint to stick on the chrome surfaces? Any tips on how to stay "inside the lines", other than a very steady hand, which I do not have?
I can't answer your query in regard to whether or not the bumper depression was supposed to be painted. I can however offer some advice to get paint to stick to chrome.
Cleanliness is next to Godliness. In other words, use a quality degreaser specifically designed for paint preparation. If you are able, scuff the area you want to paint. It does not have to be rough but enough to dull the bright plating will go far in adherence endurance.

Inside the lines? Well, a steady hand makes the task easier but lacking that, the application of petroleum jelly on the areas surrounding the depression works wonders.
Wait for the paint to dry thoroughly and wipe away the jelly with any overspray.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
corvette8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
Does blue go in the "Ford" stamp on the rear bumper?
I don't know if it's supposed to be painted but I painted it mine and it looks good to me.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
deuce_roadster

If you take a small block of wood, say 1 inch square and TIGHTLY WRAP it with a small scrap of cloth like old T-shirt material that doesn't have any fuzz, then put some lacquer thinner on the cloth and when held tight and wiped over the painted area, will take the paint off the high edges and leave it in the depression. I have done this many times with 40 deluxe hubcaps and looks fine. This method works on any chrome piece with a painted depression. I generally use One-Shot lettering enamel for this and apply with a brush after mixing on a palate with a tiny bit of paint thinner. This is what pinstripers use.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
drolston

Thanks for the tips!
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:15 AM   #7
chap52

Not a man with a steady hand I covered some emblems that I was going to paint with masking tape then carefully cut the tape away from the lettering portion. It was easier for me to correct a tape oops than a painted one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170115_055120.jpg (28.0 KB, 29 views)
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote