Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2018, 11:56 PM   #1
John Tumolo

Default Model A Windshields

Bought a windshield for my 30 A Pickup and found it too short top to bottom. Anyone know dimensions and which model A windshields will interchange? Thanks, JOHN
John Tumolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:38 AM   #2
Dave Mellor NJ

Default Re: Model A Windshields

You probably got a windshield from a Slant Windshield sedan. All 30-31 windshields (glass) were the same until the DeLuxe roadster and phaeton came out with a slightly shorter windshield. All the slanted windshields used the shorter glass, open or closed
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
Bill Pursel

Dave is that true with the 28-29 ccpu also that they share the same windshield and frames as the 28-29 cars do.
Bill Pursel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:02 AM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

I started an article on this exact same subject a few years ago and got sidetracked on doing a couple of Model A/AA production books, the second I am about done with.

What I have found so far, thru 1929, is that there are about 9 different frame assemblies which were used on 28-29 Model A Fords.

The frame assembly consists of a lower and upper part.

To answer your question Bill...the 28-29 CC windshield frame assembly is different from the rest of the Model A cars Part Number wise.

The CC, "A" Panel, and "AA" Panel used Part number 79410 for the assembly; PN 79412 for the top or upper part and PN 45414 for the lower part.

Where the CC and the rest of the closed cab bodies (Coupe, Tudor, etc) are concerned, the only thing they have in common is the lower section, PN 45414.

This was used on all Coupes, Tudor, Cabriolet, Taxi Cab, Station Wagon, Std. Fordor, Town Sedan, Fordor Steel Back, and Fordor (2W).

The Glass, PN 45455 is the same for these also.

Now there has been some discussion as to some "differences" on the lower section which I still need to research out as some are shaped different than others and I do not know what the time line is on those.

Have not got into the 30-31 frames yet.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
wrndln

John Tumolo,
There were 2 cab styles used in 1930. For the first half of 1930, the 28/29 square cab was used. For the second half of the year and 1931, the later rounded cab style was used. Which cab do you have? I agree with Steve Plucker, ALL commercial and CC windshields were mostly compatible in size, with some minor differences. For instance the 1930 and 1931 windshield used different slide arm brackets that are riveted to the sides of the windshield frame (see second picture) than the 1928 and 1929 slide arm brackets. Also there are some differences in the width and ends of the wind deflectors. 1928 windshield frames were narrower than the 29, 30 and 31 wind deflectors. 1928 wind deflector ends were squared off (last picture). 1929 deflectors had single angled ends. 1930 and 1931 wind deflectors had double cut ends (first picture). I attached some pictures showing the different wind deflector ends (note the 1928 wind deflector is narrower than the others). Why Ford changed the wind deflectors beats me.

Also of note is the differences in the top windshield pieces. Commercial vehicles used manual wipers and had a small round tube for the wiper, so the top parts were different between passenger cars and commercial vehicles.

The first picture is one Marco created. He mistakenly labeled the lower frame a 1928/29. It is only a 1929 frame. The last picture shows the 1928 windshield frame wind deflector.

BTW, I have a very nice 1930 pickup windshield frame I plan to sell. It has the 1930/31 slide arm brackets and the double cut wind deflectors.
Rusty Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Windshield id picture_1.jpg (53.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Windshield id picture_2.jpg (47.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Chickasha pickup wind deflector end.jpg (54.2 KB, 47 views)
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote