Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #41
Milt/Las Vegas

Default Re: Rare '40 convertible restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Your memory is no doubt much better than mine. Still, I do recall you and I had a lengthy discussion about these tags.
Of course I can't say with any proof what actually transpired in the various assembly plants on any given day. We all know these cars were mass produced at a quick rate. There is no doubt many things that were supposed to happen were overlooked or simply ignored.

The dimples you describe on your firewall are exactly what were utilized to locate and attach these tags.
I have attached a photo of the tag that was present on my (former) Merc equipped Ford coupe. This tag, the matching serial number, trans number and title number offer only more confusion. I was never able to figure out what the "PC" was. Nor was I able to find anything in the Archives in this respect.
The stamped numbers in your firewall have been witnessed on other cars as you certainly know. They have been witnessed on closed cars as well as wagons. So, what does that mean?
I think it is obvious that no definitive process was strictly adhered to in 1940.
I firmly believe we will most likely never know with certainty what the tags and stamped number process was supposed to have been.
I've heard of P being stamped ahead of the vin no.meaning police car,buf haven't seen one.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #42
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt/Las Vegas View Post
The heads on one of my 40 convs.have C7RA6050B made in Canada and are aluminum.
Sounds like a much later engine than 1940.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:41 PM   #43
rotorwrench

All of those AS type special high compression heads are a bear to find. A person would have to turn over a lot of stones to find those plus a lot of shekels to buy them when they do. Most of them likely were worn out on the race tracks back in the day.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #44
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
All of those AS type special high compression heads are a bear to find. A person would have to turn over a lot of stones to find those plus a lot of shekels to buy them when they do. Most of them likely were worn out on the race tracks back in the day.
Rotor, I am nearly embarrassed to say how much those cost me. They are NOS and only required glass beading and a high temperature clear coat.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #45
Bored&Stroked

Hey Kube - really fun post (I know nothing about 40' Ford cars - except the engines). I have a 40 Merc Coupe - obviously a different beast all together. Mine is unrestored, but I have everything for it except an original 40 Merc engines. I'm not into stock engines, so that is not a concern for me. Like you, I think I have a big dose of OCD when it comes to how I work, my attention to minute details, things I obsess with, etc.. In truth, sometimes it is the most minute detail of something that captures my interest the most. LOL!

I think I enjoy the research, problem solving and work more than the driving. But, I must say that starting a new high-performance flathead for the first time - is always Christmas for me! The long work that goes into the build, getting ready for the first fire, the anticipation, the anxiety, etc -- it brings me back to being a 15 year old kid when I fired up my first 286 cube flathead. Funny how we just love the details of building things . . . but when they're done, we really want to just do it again . . .

Great work and thanks for sharing!
B&S

Here is the 41-42 Merc Engine for my 32 - another '6 month' engine build that took 2 years!
IMG_1372 copy.jpg
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #46
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
B&S, that is the same engine color I am using on a 48 engine for a 33 project. Love the color!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:11 PM   #47
philipswanson

Nice but just takes cubic dollars!
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #48
Milt/Las Vegas

Quote:
Sounds like a much later engine than 1940.
The prefix would indicate 57,but I didn't think that heads were being produced that late.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #49
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt/Las Vegas View Post
The prefix would indicate 57,but I didn't think that heads were being produced that late.
The heads were produced in to the mid to late 60's.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #50
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Hey Kube - really fun post (I know nothing about 40' Ford cars - except the engines). I have a 40 Merc Coupe - obviously a different beast all together. Mine is unrestored, but I have everything for it except an original 40 Merc engines. I'm not into stock engines, so that is not a concern for me. Like you, I think I have a big dose of OCD when it comes to how I work, my attention to minute details, things I obsess with, etc.. In truth, sometimes it is the most minute detail of something that captures my interest the most. LOL!

I think I enjoy the research, problem solving and work more than the driving. But, I must say that starting a new high-performance flathead for the first time - is always Christmas for me! The long work that goes into the build, getting ready for the first fire, the anticipation, the anxiety, etc -- it brings me back to being a 15 year old kid when I fired up my first 286 cube flathead. Funny how we just love the details of building things . . . but when they're done, we really want to just do it again . . .

Great work and thanks for sharing!
B&S

Here is the 41-42 Merc Engine for my 32 - another '6 month' engine build that took 2 years!
Attachment 321469
Wow! Finally! A guy that thinks somewhat like me. There are now officially two of us (maybe).

Seriously B&S, thanks for sharing.
When on occasion I reminisce, there were clear signs of my OCD at a very young age. I don't believe there was a label for it back then other than maybe "odd boy".
To this day I have all of my Matchbox toy cars in the boxes (of course) and all in perfect condition. Nope, couldn't play with them. Just took them out of the boxes, looked at them and put them back.
Kind of the same thing now only the "matchboxes" are much larger and much more costly. The box has become an enclosed trailer

I have been fortunate in life. Lots of worse things than OCD. Plus, mine manifested itself in a productive way.

You keep on enjoying the hobby as you do. I have taken quite a bit of poopy from those that simply don't understand the reward of all that research and hours making the car as perfect as possible. Hey, I love it and it brings me a lot of enjoyment. So, what's wrong with that?
Old 07-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #51
Tinker

Another great build!

Last edited by Tinker; 07-03-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #52
Kube

[...

Last edited by Kube; 07-03-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #53
Tinker

Last edited by Tinker; 07-03-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #54
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Wow! Finally! A guy that thinks somewhat like me. There are now officially two of us (maybe).

Hey, I love it and it brings me a lot of enjoyment. So, what's wrong with that?
Hey Kube - we're kind of kindred souls. I think I've always questioned the status quo and wanted to know 'why and how', not just 'what'. So I've always chased the details - trying to find out what I'd consider my own 'personal truths'. I was fortunate growing up in SoCal, guys like Isky, Joe Reath, Joe Hunt, Snuffy Smith and others sort of took me under their wings --- and they encouraged me to question and not just 'believe' what was considered gospel (even by them). Great mentors who taught you to question, research, experiment, fall-down, get-up and do it again.

I remember when I was about 20 years old (Ed Isky was about 65) - I had been studying Harley KR race flatheads (neighbor built a bunch of them - and had "all the good stuff"). So I go to see Ed and I say - "I want to make a roller cam for a flathead Ford" -- he says to me "roller cams don't work in flatheads" . . . and I say right back . . . "Well, that is funny, the Harley KR has won about 15 of 19 Daytona's and every dang one had a roller cam???". So - he agreed to work with me to build a couple . . . and one of them is in that engine that I posted a picture of earlier. I just saw Ed at the PRI show in Indy in December - we had a good ole' time reminiscing about me being a young kid, questioning his 'truths' and he being willing to explore them further. That is one of the GREAT things about that man, as smart and successful as he's been - he's still willing to keep listening, experimenting and learning (not many folks like him). I was blessed to have those experiences.

In the end, I think it is the core traits of curiosity, problem solving, relentlessness and striving for 'perfection' . . . that drives goofy bastards like us. (Sorry about including you in that!). I think I've learned more from wanting to know 'why', then from the easy answers that were given (even by the best of the best). That is how you learn . . .

Best of luck with your projects, if I can ever help you with your flathead work, drop me a note!

Cheers,
B&S

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 07-05-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #55
rotorwrench

To resurrect a Lazarus type car or even just an engine carries a lot of satisfaction with it but to watch it deteriorate is equally painful. I understand the pain but I gave up worrying about it a long time ago. I restore helicopters to their best possible condition only to see their owners take them out and wear them back out all over again. It's harder for me to watch the older ones like the Bell 47 deteriorate because they are a lot harder to repair, rebuild, and source certain parts for them now but I don't lose sleep over it any more. I'd have changed professions a long time ago if it did bother me. What, and get out of aviation? No way Jose! Same with auto & motorcycle restoration. I just wish I had a large enough place to preserve all the junk I want to stay nice while I'm still above ground. I'm afraid it would take more acres than I could maintain.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-04-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #56
Kube

Man oh man, just never enough time in a day... I am back at this project with the goal remaining of Dearborn, 2018.
Obviously all new floors, tool tray and tail pan. Cleaned up the inside of the quarters as best I could. Later, I'll apply sound deadening in all places that will be well hidden once the car is assembled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040083.jpg (58.4 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg P1040081.jpg (38.5 KB, 319 views)
Old 07-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #57
rotorwrench

Just curious where you sourced the floor pans. There aren't a lot of them being made now days.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #58
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Just curious where you sourced the floor pans. There aren't a lot of them being made now days.
Floor was from Hershey. Tool tray is reproduction.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #59
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Looking good for sure!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #60
Kube

Managed to get the body in prime last Friday. Doors and trunk lid fit beautifully.
Next step is to reinstall doors and fit top mechanism perfectly. After that I'll remove the top assembly, doors and trunk lid and after bracing the body, put it on the rotisserie.

Some of you may notice my OCD showing through in the way I have to get the inside of the body as nice as the outside. I know no one will ever see these areas once the car is complete but I'll always know... can't help myself.

This will be the fourth '40 convertible I've done. it took me the first two to think smart enough to keep the jigs I'd made to brace the body. I kept thinking "this will be the last one" and threw the jigs away not once, but twice. Duh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040094.jpg (40.3 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg P1040092.jpg (38.2 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg P1040093.jpg (37.2 KB, 294 views)