Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2015, 12:08 PM   #1

Default Front float-a-motor

I have the the REAR float-a-motor mounts installed and was informed that it compromises the integrity of the frame, should I replace them back to the original mounts?

Last edited by 1929; 08-10-2015 at 12:42 PM. Reason: mistake
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
31Tudor

Default Re: Front float-a-motor

The discussion regarding frame integrity is certainly a good and valid point. Switching back is certainly up to you. There are many people that swear by the float-a-motor mounts. I have 3 model A's with stock rear engine mounts and one with float-a-motor mounts. I have never noticed any difference in vibration/ or any real advantage to having the float-a-motor mounts. But....I have noticed the engine with the FAMM has sagged in the back, and when I took the oil pan off recently it was difficult to get the front 4 bolts out because of the sag and the tie rod now interferes. I am planning to go back to stock engine mounts in that A as well. Like I said, in a first hand comparison, I have not noticed any real difference in the two set ups.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

FLOAT-A-MOTORS DON'T wreck your frame, pure B.S. If you have a crappy frame, it's probably from 80 something years of using the car for a tractor, swamp buggy, pullin' stumps, movin' out houses, diving pot holes, being wrecked, no tellin' how many times, being pushed when the battery was kapoot & they couldn't find their blasted crank & don't forget when Uncle Gump screwed up, felling a tree & it fell on the cowl & caused the gas tank to only hold 7.9 gallons of gas, or when Mutt hit a mule, on the way to Idabel, when his lights farted out, or when Chief hauled 2 1/2 bales of cotton to the gin, in his Model A semi, with a wood fifth wheel, or when Chief Drag Raced Uncle Does' '32 Chev. coupe & the old "STOVEBOLT" broke a R/R AXLE & Chief used his wire loop trick, to get the stub out! or when the L/R wheel on our '29 BLACK PHANTOM Tudor (NO WHITE WALLS) fell off he ramp boards, while getting up onto the ALBEN Brothers' old ferry, across RED RIVER, (The ferry ran on SQUEEKY pulleys, on a FAT cable, left over from a cable suspension bridge, built in 1929 & washed away in 1932, nobody could oil the pulleys, cuz they were WAY up there, above the MUDDY river water!!! Another nearby river is named "THE MUDDY BOGGY"! Did you know thet the GRAND CANYON wuz dug by an Armenian, named, "SOL EROZIAN")
I used to go on JEEP roads in our mountains & the flexing of the frame loosened the nails that held the front of the panels, above the Coupe doors, even, re-nailed them with LOOONG SCREW NAILS & Chief sed, SPIT on the NAILS, so's they don't SPLIT the wood"!!
My point IS, don't give LOT-A-MOTORS a BAD RAP ur I'll SIC my DORG on you. Buster T's BITE is wurser than his BARK! While in a DEEP sleep, under my covers, I petted him & he sunk a FANG, clean through my "BIRD" finger nail & it BLED! LOVE that DOG!
Oh, they took the Chev, axle to the Blacksmith, he welded a water pipe coupler over the break, pried it "straight" in an OOOLD lathe & it worked! While there, they had he Blacksmith grind a Toe Sack of Corn into Cornmeal.
Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 08-10-2015 at 02:52 PM. Reason: MISPELIN'
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #4

The frame is good, just dont want any future problems.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #5
Indiana A. Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana A. Lover

I Am getting ready To install float a motor front and rear on my 31 We will use it for a test mule.The official ford barn test mule.I like it. Don in Indiana
Indiana A. Lover is offline   Reply With Quote