Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2020, 10:01 PM   #1
deuce_roadster

Default Anyone heard from TOD lately about casting a new block?

I haven't seen any post by TOD for a long time. I hope his health hasn't deteriorated as he was quite elderly and had a history of issues.
Does anyone know what his name is? Is TOD his initials? I just sent a PM to that username so maybe he will reply.
Just curious.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:13 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Anyone heard from TOD lately about casting a new block?

I'd like to know as well.

Funny, I got the impression that he was a younger guy.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:52 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

That's what I thought as well. If your referring to the Tod that cast engine blocks, he posted today on the model A site.

Last edited by JSeery; 04-12-2020 at 02:58 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:07 PM   #4
deuce_roadster

I thought I read in one of his previous posts that he had a stroke and was only able to work about 3 hours a day. Was in the process of setting up his own foundry.
I sent him a PM, glad he is still posting at least on the Model A forum.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:28 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

I believe TOD's heart is really over on the A-bone side of the house. He lives over on the "A" forum and posts frequently. I'm sure that he's serious about this new V8, and it's likely that he is as qualified to pull this off as anyone else, but considering how many irons he has in the fire Model A-wise as well as other Ford engine castings he has going, I think he is trying to fit this flathead project in (at OUR urging) as he finds precious "spare" time. I also think that to TOD, this is more of a personal challenge for him to meet, exemplifying his abilities rather than a necessary project to put more food on his table. I'm also curious to see what his "updated twist" on a "new" flatty ends-up being. You GO, Tod! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:58 AM   #6
Frank Miller

Tod is doing well and working on Model A stuff. I see him on facebook and he does some really amazing stuff. Yesterday he said he was playing his guitar trying to adapt to having had a stroke, not sure when that was. He is really an amazing knowledgeable guy.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:13 AM   #7
deuce5wndw

I read the model A side also and he has threads with photos about his 5 main aluminum blocks, heads, and even a overhead valve conversion for model A. Very impressive stuff!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:25 AM   #8
rotorwrench

He just got a nice casting of the Miller-Schofield 1930 cylinder head that are rare as hens teeth. His model A block castings are coming along too. Keep in mind that the L-head V8 is one of the most difficult blocks to cast so it will take time. He has done other Ford V8 blocks successfully. Funds have to come in to make all this stuff a reality. Lets just keep up the hope that this will happen. I don't think anyone else in the world that cares enough to do what he is doing.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #9
19Fordy

I wonder if TOD and Mark Kirby know each other as both are working on casting 8BA blocks?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I wonder if TOD and Mark Kirby know each other as both are working on casting 8BA blocks?

Kirby's new block (it's actually getting kind of old now and STILL hasn't been released) is pretty unique in several ways. It is an aluminum casting, and one bizarre feature to facilitate the huge increase in bore diameter is the re-arrangement of head bolt holes threaded into the deck. This means that stock or aftermarket performance Ford flathead cylinder heads will not bolt to this block. In fact, I believe there are more proprietary (Mark Kirby), non-traditional parts that must be used on this "jewel" that is slated to hit the streets (as has been widely-advertised for YEARS) ANY MINUTE NOW!
And the last I heard (quite a few years back) was that the retail on this beast was going to be $12K +! With just a little inflationary adjustment, I wouldn't be surprised at something closer to $19,995, or even MORE! Folks will be standing in line...…….NOT! I've just read recently that someone noted that the test engine has just been transplanted into an early '50s Ford. Obviously, they're still workin' out a few minor, last minute bugs. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:13 PM   #11
Russ/40

I believe Tod's last name is Butterfield.

Apparently not. don't know where I got that.

Last edited by Russ/40; 04-15-2020 at 12:06 AM.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #12
JOHNCL

Is that Miller-Schofield head the twin cam design?
JOHNCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #13
derek costello

There is a video of Kirby telling a bunch of guys at a car show all about the new flathead aluminum V8. It comes with a new crankshaft but uses all most other
ford flathead parts, I think it is 300 cubic inches.
He has about 10,000 miles on one of the 6 samples in his own car, claims no troubles. But like the model A guy he has problems with his health............
derek costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #14
Bored&Stroked

I've seen the Kirby design and I don't think it is something that could be easily produced at an affordable price . . . the cylinder setup is just too goofy. I'm not going to comment on how "I would have done it" - but the design is not viable in my eyes and I'm sure that is one of the reasons that he and/or Shadow Rods never brought it to market. There would not be any volume for it, it can't be sanctioned in racing and the cost of a fully built engine would be just too high - to sell enough of them to ever make a profit.

That is the general problem in anybody trying to make a flathead block . . . how many could you possibly sell . . . for what price?

There is probably no economic justification to do it - other than maybe somebody like Tod who is already doing a lot of this goofy vintage stuff, has foundry experience, may make his own foundry, etc.. Damn near has to be a very small, super-talented and unique situation/setup for it to have any chance to work. With that said, boy would I like a 3.5" bore, aluminum block with improved flow and replaceable liners . . . would be the "cats ass". LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:51 PM   #15
deuce_roadster

From what I have heard, Kirby is just the sales person, front man. The brains and knowledge of that project lie with other people. He definitely is no TOD.
Thanks for all the posts, I knew TOD has some kind of relationship with Snyders on the 4 cylinder stuff. His kind of knowledge is disappearing.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:41 PM   #16
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I haven't seen any post by TOD for a long time. I hope his health hasn't deteriorated as he was quite elderly and had a history of issues.
Does anyone know what his name is? Is TOD his initials? I just sent a PM to that username so maybe he will reply.
Just curious.
Yup, that is his FIRST name. He is a relatively young sturdy hard working man ....a one man ‘army’, so to speak.
A TON on his plate, without access to qualified help , these days, in his opinion and field of work.

Lots to be said, but suffice to say that he is a busy business owner.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:51 PM   #17
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
I believe Tod's last name is Butterfield.
No.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:58 PM   #18
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNCL View Post
Is that Miller-Schofield head the twin cam design?
No. It is a copy of my original Schofield. This head AFTER Miller, and before bidness was sold to Cregar.
So, without getting technical, look at any Cragar/ Schofield/Denver Millerand you’ll get the idea.
To get technical,for a moment and for good reason, the Miller SLOPE SIDE OHV head was one of a kind.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:30 AM   #19
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I've seen the Kirby design and I don't think it is something that could be easily produced at an affordable price . . . the cylinder setup is just too goofy. I'm not going to comment on how "I would have done it" - but the design is not viable in my eyes and I'm sure that is one of the reasons that he and/or Shadow Rods never brought it to market. There would not be any volume for it, it can't be sanctioned in racing and the cost of a fully built engine would be just too high - to sell enough of them to ever make a profit.

That is the general problem in anybody trying to make a flathead block . . . how many could you possibly sell . . . for what price?

There is probably no economic justification to do it - other than maybe somebody like Tod who is already doing a lot of this goofy vintage stuff, has foundry experience, may make his own foundry, etc.. Damn near has to be a very small, super-talented and unique situation/setup for it to have any chance to work. With that said, boy would I like a 3.5" bore, aluminum block with improved flow and replaceable liners . . . would be the "cats ass". LOL
There’s a LOT to chew on in what you have said !
First, regarding “sanctioning”. You could make. an A/B block...to perfection. That is even FORD himself couldn’t tell it from his own creation. Such a block wouldn’t be legal to run in ANY sanctioned event, I. e.- hill climbs; salt races.
Ton of $$$$ to what ??, to make a good ‘ touring’ engine, unhuh !!
Second , you want an aluminum banger block, with sleeves !
What for/use ? After the FIRST 3 main alum blk pour...years (4/5) ago, problems. I gave in. Maybe you could get this one, as I paid for best sleeves.
Anyway, he was pioneer, and as such encountered the things that alum blk can have.
Still, other wt to power ratio, no sanctioning, oh and being one of one, I couldn’t think of any reason to hang around for .... when ??

If you guys are serious about a guy being serious about building iron banger blks, check out the model A side for the name/threads of TERRY BURTZ.
He has an interesting thing going on with modern metals, 5 mains and entire kit type A/B blk; crank , rods, blk etc, etc. worth the read, IMO.
STILL NOT SANCTIONED THO.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:44 AM   #20
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
No.
Buttermore, perhaps?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote