Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
Jim Brierley

Default Calif. license plates

A friend recently bought a '29 roadster pickup from out of State. The Calif. DMV told him he had to have commercial plates on it, which are very costly. This is NOT TRUE! The latest Victoria Bustle news letter gives the DMV vehicle code statute that says pre-1937 commercial vehicles are exempt from that rule. Calif, vehicle code Div 3, #9401. I went thru this 25 years ago when the statute was first changed. It came about because of all the foreign that were entering the State and were licensed as passenger cars.

Last edited by Jim Brierley; 09-01-2016 at 11:32 AM. Reason: mis-spelled word, Victoria
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Calif. license plates

Did you bring the error to their attention with the information you have posted? No sense telling us, tell the people that it matters to! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
A friend recently bought a '29 roadster pickup from out of State. The Calif. DMV told him he had to have commercial plates on it, which are very costly. This is NOT TRUE! The latest Victoria Bustle news letter gives the DMV vehicle code statute that says pre-1937 commercial vehicles are exempt from that rule. Calif, vehicle code Div 3, #9401. I went thru this 25 years ago when the statute was first changed. It came about because of all the foreign that were entering the State and were licensed as passenger cars.
Hey Jim,
THANKS for this information and taking the time to inform us !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #4
Tom Endy

This is an old story here in California. The DMV doesn't know their own statute. They will send you out to have the vehicle weighed and then charge you a more expensive yearly fee for commercial plates.

Down load and print out the photo and take it to the DMV and show it to them. There is some double talk language in it that says if you want commercial plates at a higher fee for whatever reason they will accommodate you.

Some hobbyist interpret that to mean that if you are going to use the vehicle in a commercial venture you must have commercial plates. It does not say that.

It is also a good idea to keep a copy of this statute with the registration in case you are stopped by a cop who thinks you are supposed to have commercial plates on your truck.

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calif dmv.jpg (73.4 KB, 70 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

I found out about this early only because my girlfriend at the time worked for AAA and read all of the changes as they came through. Most of the local DMV's have no idea about the exemption, but in all fairness they probably don't encounter the problem very often. The only question that remains unanswered in my mind is can you carry anything in the pickup bed when you have passenger car plates? You would have to encounter an officer that was having a very bad day before you would get stopped for that but I always what was the real answer.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
The only question that remains unanswered in my mind is can you carry anything in the pickup bed when you have passenger car plates? You would have to encounter an officer that was having a very bad day before you would get stopped for that but I always what was the real answer.

Charlie Stephens

Charlie, I once had a '72 Ford E-100 Econoline Van that I had the plates switched from Commercial to auto because at the time I wasn't going to carry anything in the back (and it was cheaper).

Then I got into off-road motorcyling and started hauling out M/C's in the back. And guess what, the CHP sure did know the law because I got more than one warning and/or ticket...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 09-01-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #7
banjoQ

I guess it's good to know I am not the only one who has been jerked around by CADMV. I had the same problem a few years back. I had a 36 truck with plates, title in hand, and corresponding reg tags for many years. They told me that this was not acceptable to register the plates to the vehicle again. Talked with many different people, invested too much of my time only to be denied. They said if I didn't like it I could appeal the decision in Sac. So I did. Two months went by and I received a form letter stating that I would have to obtain commercial plates from 36'. Easier said than done. You cannot work with these people. I gave up and no longer care. Good luck to your friend in getting plates for his truck, he will need it.
banjoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #8
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
This is an old story here in California. The DMV doesn't know their own statute. They will send you out to have the vehicle weighed and then charge you a more expensive yearly fee for commercial plates.

Down load and print out the photo and take it to the DMV and show it to them. There is some double talk language in it that says if you want commercial plates at a higher fee for whatever reason they will accommodate you.

Some hobbyist interpret that to mean that if you are going to use the vehicle in a commercial venture you must have commercial plates. It does not say that.

It is also a good idea to keep a copy of this statute with the registration in case you are stopped by a cop who thinks you are supposed to have commercial plates on your truck.

Tom Endy

There shouldn't be a problem. Take the photo of the statute and present it to a DMV person and as long as they can read and understand English the statute is as plain as day. They can easily pull it up on their computer to verify it.

The statute says that 1936 commercial vehicles and prior are exempt from requiring commercial plates - period. It does say they will provide you with commercial plates (at the higher fee) if you so desire. it says nothing about the pre-1936 vehicle requiring commercial plates if used in a commercial venture or carrying anything in the back.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:27 PM   #9
Russ/40

I just licensed my 29 RPU, and all I had to do was verbalize the statute. She never questioned it. This was in El Cajon California.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:52 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post

Tom Endy
This is not meant to argue but to discuss. When I read the statute, that is exactly how I read it, you have it as a "show" vehicle regular auto registration, want to use it for commercial uses then register as a commercial vehicle. I mean, what would be the advantage of having it registered as a commercial vehicle? If there is no advantage then why the wording?

Again I'm not writing this to argue but to get another opinion on it's interpretation.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #11
denis4x4

A vehicle with commercial plates in CA can park in commercial zones. In CO, YOM plates are free and collector plates are good for five years. I have 1929 CO commercial truck plates and will test the system one of these days and park it in a loading zone.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #12
Jim Brierley

All above are good points. You cannot park in a commercial zone, big loss! You probably shouldn't carry anything in the bed, but I use my widebed for swapmeets and have never had a second look by any police. I have had mine licensed with passenger plates since the law went into effect but do carry a copy as Tom suggests.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote